Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Mr. Fred Ladd has passed away
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Mr. Fred Ladd has passed away
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
The Other Jason The Other Jason is a Male
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2010

spacer
Mr. Fred Ladd has passed away Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all,

I'm sad to report the passing of Mr. Fred Ladd. He died on August 3rd at the age of 94.

More can and should be said about him than I can possibly write down. He was instrumental in bringing Japanese animation to North America. With series like Astro Boy, Kimba, the White Lion and Gigantor, he helped change entertainment in the 1960s. Of course, he also created G-Force in 1986, which has brought many fans here.

In person, Fred was a very nice, generous, trusting and funny man. He was the special guest at our first GatchaCon at the 1997 San Diego Comic-Con. He had nothing to promote, or any real reason to come down from Los Angeles other than to talk with fans. He had no idea what he'd be coming into, but he didn't hesitate for a second to say "yes."

That was back when it was still possible for smaller fan groups to arrange panel discussions there! He spent an hour educating the audience about the history of G-Force, which might have been one of the first places he ever discussed the series at length. It was a great time.

I know he enjoyed himself because he came back to the Comic-Con multiple times afterward on his own or with his son. He always made time to come by to meet the Gatchaman group and see how we were doing. He never, ever seemed to forget a name either. If someone wasn't there, he'd always ask where they were, and how they were doing.

He was a fun one, and always the center of attention wherever he was (in a good way). it's largely because of him that so many of us are here to meet and talk about animation today. If you want to read Mr. Ladd's story in his own words, he released a book through McFarland Publishing about his life, entitled :
Astro Boy and Anime Come to the Americas

Mr. Fred Ladd at the 1997 San Diego Comic-Con, discussing G-Force

Mr. Ladd and his wife, Eileen, with GatchaCon '97 attendees

Mr. Ladd had a blast with two costumed GatchaCon '00 attendees

I'm grateful to have met him and to have been able to spend some time with him. My deepest thoughts go out to his son and daughter.

The Other Jason
www.battleoftheplanets.info
www.battleoftheplanets.info/cnc

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by The Other Jason on 11-08-2021 at 05:38.
No new posts 11-08-2021 04:04 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

*sigh* A huge hole has been left behind.

No new posts 11-08-2021 12:50 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: