Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman » Was Joe's name changed?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Was Joe's name changed?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer
Was Joe's name changed? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Somehow, maybe canon, or fanon, I believed that when Nambu saved Joe from assassination on the beach, he changed Joe's name from George to protect his identity.

We know his name was George from ep 81, when the mayor and Katse are having their discussion about him, and whether he actually died, yet that same episode his childhood friend, Alan, refers to him as "Bad boy Joe" and flashbacks Joe has himself we hear his parents screaming "Joe" as they're being shot.

This seemed odd to me. Why would they call to him by a name he wasn't given until after the event?

For years I've tried to let it go (No singing please!) putting it down to poor continuity or whatever, but today I finally found an explanation.

I've become familiar with Joe written in Japanese, ジョー
but never actually seen the name George written as such, so with the wonder of google translate I decide to check it out.

Joe = ジョー
George = ジョージ

So, they weren't addressing Joe by a non-existent name, but simply abbreviating his existing one.

No new posts 23-12-2020 13:20 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
The Other Jason The Other Jason is a Male
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2010

spacer
RE: Was Joe's name changed? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi KT,

quote:
Originally posted by KT1972
I've become familiar with Joe written in Japanese, ジョー
but never actually seen the name George written as such, so with the wonder of google translate I decide to check it out.

Joe = ジョー
George = ジョージ

So, they weren't addressing Joe by a non-existent name, but simply abbreviating his existing one.

Yes, that's pretty much the reason. They just shortened it to the first part of the name. The way "George" is pronounced in Japanese is like "Joji," with the first syllable elongated. So "Joe" became a nickname.

In some early planning and a couple of the earliest scripts, his name was given as "錠," which is "じょう" (Jo), the same elongated pronunciation. For the most part though, the shorter "Joe" name was in place in one form or other from the start. For instance, other early planning had his name as "ジョー鷹野" (Jo Takano) and listed as Italian, born in Sicily. The final planning had him listed as "ジョージ浅倉" (Joji Asakura), but his team name was shortened to the "Joe, the Condor" we all know and love.

Just for fun, here's a shot of his early name still appearing in the script for the first episode. He's wanting to fire Bird Missiles at the turtle robot monster (shocker, isn't it? ;-)):

The Other Jason
www.battleoftheplanets.info
www.battleoftheplanets.info/cnc

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by The Other Jason on 24-12-2020 at 06:01.
No new posts 23-12-2020 22:13 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Here I thought I had a chance to look smart, but, dammit, Jason beat me to it! uberdestructo3000

No new posts 24-12-2020 03:46 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ElectricWhite
Here I thought I had a chance to look smart, but, dammit, Jason beat me to it! uberdestructo3000

Sorry, EW!

And thanks for the added info, Jason. To think after all these years, I could simply have asked!! Wallbash

No new posts 24-12-2020 08:47 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: