Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman Chat » Infini-T Force Movie on DVD
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Infini-T Force Movie on DVD
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Infini-T Force Movie on DVD Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

I wanted to let you know that the Malaysian DVD release of the Infini-T Force movie, with English subtitles, has just started turning up for sale on eBay. I have not seen this release, so I cannot comment of the quality of the subtitles. Past experience in that area has shown that the quality of the English on these can range anywhere from decent to "Are those words supposed to be English?" Where this falls on that scale is unknown at this point. But, for a price that's averaging $11.50, with free shipping, it's not like it costs a fortune to find out. Just search on eBay for "Infini-T Force DVD" and look for those coming from Malaysia, and you'll see them.

And, before anyone asks, I don't know if a Blu-ray release is coming or not. Likewise, I don't know if a Malaysian company intends to release the TV series. Heck, I didn't know these were coming until I saw them listed on eBay. I'm just passing the info along!

​​​​​​​James

No new posts 21-02-2019 02:22 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Katblu42 Katblu42 is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 19-10-2016

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Thanks James!

Definitely worth checking it out.

No new posts 21-02-2019 09:44 Katblu42 is offline Send an Email to Katblu42 Search for Posts by Katblu42 Add Katblu42 to your Buddy List
GrumpyGhostOwl GrumpyGhostOwl is a Female
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-12-2016

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Could be interesting. It's probably closer to A$20 at the current exchange rate, and I'll tempt fate by suggesting that the interpreters doing the subtitles would have to work pretty hard to be worse than whoever translated the French dialogue in the fansub. (I'm pretty sure they used Google and didn't bother - or didn't know how - to address the syntax, tenses or gendered pronouns!)

You know, with the right software, I could probably make a few tweaks... My French doesn't extend far beyond, "Excuse moi. Je suis Australienne. Je n'est pas apprende la Francais. Parlez vous Anglais, s'il vous plais?" but I could correct the obvious stuff.

No new posts 07-03-2019 02:36 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyGhostOwl
Could be interesting. It's probably closer to A$20 at the current exchange rate, and I'll tempt fate by suggesting that the interpreters doing the subtitles would have to work pretty hard to be worse than whoever translated the French dialogue in the fansub. (I'm pretty sure they used Google and didn't bother - or didn't know how - to address the syntax, tenses or gendered pronouns!).

Well, yeah. That's pretty much what I meant when I said of that translation, "An English speaking fan took that translation, ran it through a translation program, and these subtitles were generated from that translation, with no additional editing to correct grammatical errors, odd phrasing, or to remove occasional bit that did not translate ("Non' and "Monsieur" appear a few times, and at least one sentence remains completely in French)."

I wouldn't risk challenging the translators for this DVD release to do worse. I've seen some of these where they might be using English words, but they aren't forming English sentences, and some where not all the words are actually English. With those, it can be a real challenge to try to figure out what they're trying to say.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've seem some (Alas, not many) with subtitles that are in excellent English, and a number that have decent English (Or at least not so poor that you can't figure out what they're trying to say). It's a real hit-and-miss situation with these discs. You pay your money and hope for the best. Fortunately, this particular release is not overly expensive.

I have ordered one, mostly to see how good or bad a job they did with it. I'll let you know the results when it arrives (Which might be a while, since that free shipping usually means Sea Mail).

James

No new posts 07-03-2019 06:14 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

My copy of the Infini-t Force DVD arrived in the mail the other day, so I'm now in a position to comment on the subtitles.

In short, they have a strictly middle-of-the-road quality translation, roughly on par with the awkward English of the earlier Japanese-to-French-to-English Translation we already have seen, only this time sourced from a Japanese-to-Chinese-to-English translation. If you have some idea of what they're saying, you can generally make the mental leaps to fill in and fix the gaps, but there are some "Where did that come from?" moments.

So, if you're looking for something that has the English grammar and syntax you'd expect of a native speaker, and can't stand the idea of anything less than perfection, then this is not the release for you. If you're willing to cut them some slack on the translation and want it more to have a high quality hard copy of the movie (Which is more than we're getting from Viz...), then this is a good, cost effective way to attain that goal.

I hope this helps!

James

No new posts 27-03-2019 18:24 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: