Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Let's Get Nostalgic! A Call for Fan Input
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Let's Get Nostalgic! A Call for Fan Input
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
GirlCondor GirlCondor is a Female

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-05-2018

spacer
Let's Get Nostalgic! A Call for Fan Input Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hello Gatchamaniacs!

I thought I would start a new thread for this so I can keep all the info in one place had have it separate from my Origins fan project/comic Mega Art Thread. (which you can visit here, just in case anyone hasn't wandered into it yet.)

One of the funner aspects of this fan project has been hiding the Easter Eggs. A big thanks to Springie who helped me out with nods Battle of the Planets since I'm least familiar with that rendition of the show. I've got some goodies for G-Force, of course the original Gatchaman, and even some Tatsunoko Studio trivia as well. However, we have room for so much more.

The great thing about a visual story is all the stuff I get to stash into the background, in trash cans, on billboards, on street signs and delivery trucks; even items random background characters are wearing or carrying. I'm combining little nostalgic tidbits from the 70's, 80's, and 90's for the three different generations who were influenced by the shows various incarnations. And this is where you all can help me out. I'm on the younger end of that spectrum, ('83 baby), even though I grew up in a small town that was about 10 years behind everyone else. XD
This is an open invitation for fans to nerd out about their favorite things. It can be Gatchaman/BotP related, or just stuff you remember from growing up during those time periods. What takes you back? What makes you smile? What little details have you clung to after all these years? I can't make any promises that I'll be able to include everything, but I want this story to feel like home for as many people as possible. And hey, these trips down memory lane are fun. I'm new to this forum. So if you've already had a nerd fest about any of this somewhere else, please feel free to post it here too. Tell me all about it. Big Grin

No new posts 29-09-2018 16:28 GirlCondor is offline Homepage of GirlCondor Search for Posts by GirlCondor Add GirlCondor to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

GC- this will be awesome! I sent you a bunch of ideas for the late 70s/ early 80s...but I know some others here will have some great ideas, too! Anyone remember those braided barrettes? Stud belts? Love's Baby Soft? Kissing Potion?

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 29-09-2018 21:50 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Springie
GC- this will be awesome! I sent you a bunch of ideas for the late 70s/ early 80s...but I know some others here will have some great ideas, too! Anyone remember those braided barrettes? Stud belts? Love's Baby Soft? Kissing Potion?

Oh, yeah, I remember those!

The Farrah Faucett hair style. limited TV channels, TV rabbit ears. I'll keep thinking and PM you, GC, with more things.

No new posts 30-09-2018 01:28 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer

Pinball machines, arcades, roller skates, bowling. Cigarette machines LOL

Also AM Radio, Earth shoes and like BR said "Farrah's hair" and flares etc.

And what about those soda machines, where the cup would drop down first, then the ice and finally the soda would shoot out into the cup? If the cup wasn't perfectly inline with the spray nozzle soda wold go everywhere Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Redbird on 30-09-2018 at 11:23.
No new posts 30-09-2018 11:05 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
Katblu42 Katblu42 is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 19-10-2016

spacer

The Atari 2600 game console!!!
Recording songs off the radio onto cassette tapes (often by holding the portable tape deck up to the radio!).
Astro Boy, Voltron and Transformers.
Sneakers that did up with Velcro.
Slot cars - Scalextric in particular.
The incinerator in the back yard (we're not allowed to burn our rubbish anymore!).
Spokey Dokeys. (Little coloured plastic things you stuck on the spokes of your bike wheels to make noise)

I was in primary school in the 80's (elementary school?). These things all had a big influence on me.

A lot of ice creams and sweets that you can't get any more come to mind - but if I name them most people here might not recognise the Australian products.

No new posts 30-09-2018 11:56 Katblu42 is offline Send an Email to Katblu42 Search for Posts by Katblu42 Add Katblu42 to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

My most recent "Blast from the past" was a viewmaster toy, and Botp slides to view through it. (Many other slides are available of course) The one I had as a child had 'Mary Poppins'

Other toys I remember from the 70's are the Spacehopper, Fuzzy Felts, hula hoops, and movie viewers.

80's involved Sindy dolls and accessories, (Sindy was the British version of Barbie, and according to my parents, was much more appropriate than the Princess action figure that I repeatedly asked for for Christmas every year) Tomytronic, Simon, and The Walkman personal cassette player.

No new posts 30-09-2018 14:39 KT1972 is online Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Fuzzy Felts! Oh, yes! I remember those fondly.

How could we forget Cabbage Patch Kids? I remember begging my parents for one - and it had to be real. The proof was the signature on the bottom! I don't know why I wanted it so much - I wasn't into other "girly" toys of the time like My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite or Care Bears.

Teddy Ruxpin - the teddy bear that would tell you stories.
Glow worm toys that lit up when you hugged them.

Rigadoon dolls. (I had to look them up because I couldn't remember what they were called, and they are uglier than I remember!) They were sort of a rival for the Cabbage Patch Kids, but they were puppets.

No new posts 30-09-2018 15:03 Katblu42 is offline Send an Email to Katblu42 Search for Posts by Katblu42 Add Katblu42 to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

Oh, God, I remember the riots the Cabbage Patch Kids caused near the first Christmastime they were out! There was one 6-year-old girl who had gotten one of the last dolls off the shelf, only to have an older woman rip it out of her arms and then give the girl one hell of a black eye!

And a couple of sisters in my neighborhood had their dolls taken away from them by their grandmother when the company started making the dolls anatomically correct. (The girls didn't have those dolls, but that didn't matter to their grandmother...I guess the lady thought the dolls would suddenly grow the bits...)

I was more into the Garbage Pail Kids myself. (A parody of the Cabbage Patch Kids.)

That time was also the Golden Age for bubble gum and candy novelties. An entire wall of convenience stores was dedicated just to bubble gum...Bubble Yum, Bubblicious, Hubba Bubba, Fruit Stripes, Chicklets, Bubble Burgers, Bubble Pops....in practically every flavor found in nature (and at least ten that weren't!)

No new posts 30-09-2018 18:23 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Glow worms were still around at the end of the 1990s. We got one for our son when he was bon in 1997. It was lifesaver during a long road trip when he was a baby. For some reason the dark was scaring him so I had to squeeze Glowy for a solid 2 hours until he finally fell asleep.

Echa sketch (can't remember the spelling), Battle of the Network Stars - in the US, Monopoly game (for many decades), Triominos, tag, kickball, and that dreaded murderball (we never called it dodgeball).

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Becky Rock on 01-10-2018 at 00:50.
No new posts 30-09-2018 19:29 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Ahhh you guys are awesome! Thank you thank you! I am compiling a mega list over here. This will be ongoing, so, as you remember, keep'em coming! I don't have to worry about adding most of this stuff to my script. I'll just be hiding things wherever I can when I start the final layouts.

Springie - You got the ball really rolling on this! Thank you! That portable suitcase turntable you sent me is totally going in the orphanage common room too.

Becky - Throw'em at me. Big Grin I lived out in the middle of nowhere so...yeah. TV channels. We had 3 up until I was probably 8 or 9. PBS was one of them though. Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers, and Fairy Tale Theater! My saturday morning cartoons were really limited until dad finally broke down and got us Satellite TV (cable did not reach my neck of the woods. Sadness!) And we had an external antenna outside mounted on a pole that you could control with this little remote dial thing. I was not allowed to touch it because dad figured I would break it. (haha.)

RB - I can guarantee you an arcade seen. It has already been written. There might be a game named Legend of Zoltar in the background somewhere too...

Katblu - Actually, go ahead and list those treats if you can remember them. ^_^ I'm already combining two cultures, American and Japanese, if I can sneak in little things from other parts of the world that would be wonderful.

KT - Shame on your parents LOL.

EW - I was pretty little when I got a Cabbage Patch doll, and I feel bad now because I honestly didn't get the big deal. I ended up with it because my Aunt had two boys so when she found one she freaked out, bought it, and sent it to my parents for me. XD I never asked for it lol. I can't believe some of the crazes over these toys! I also did not know about the anatomical correctness. That is hilarious.

Oh god, and the bubblegum.

No new posts 30-09-2018 21:00 GirlCondor is offline Homepage of GirlCondor Search for Posts by GirlCondor Add GirlCondor to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

BR - Those glow worms were magical. I was terrified of the dark, (super active imagination, I'd see things crawling on the ceiling that weren't there). I remember that was one of my favorite toys. Mom also got me this glow bug set, they had a treehouse with an elevator and a light-up pond that you could charge all the little glow bugs on. Then everything would glow look super magical!

I don't know why Dodgeball isn't just called Murderball. That makes wayyy more sense. I had a classmate who was fixated on smashing my face in with the ball every time we played. I still can't stand that dude.

There might be a monopoly related half-hearted fist fight! Happy I never got through that game. I found it boring and usually the neighbor kid would do something shady or just irritate me for the hell of it and things would go down hill from there. We got into a fight over Candy Land once too.

No new posts 30-09-2018 21:19 GirlCondor is offline Homepage of GirlCondor Search for Posts by GirlCondor Add GirlCondor to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

There was also that game Life. My younger brother loved it I and I hated it.

There was also the anatomically correct boy baby doll named after a TV show. All in the family. The doll was called Archie Bunker's Grandson.

My favorite candy bar when I was young was called MilkShake. There were also Mallow Cups with marsh mellow instead of peanut butter.

No new posts 01-10-2018 01:03 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Rainbow Paddle Pops and Bubble-O Bill ice creams are still around, but my favourite was Funny Feet - a banana flavoured, foot shaped ice cream with a chocolate coating on one side. I believe there were Funny Feet in the UK/Europe too, but they were different.
I also remember a short lived run of an ice block called Return of the Jedi that had a jelly (Jello) centre.
Double Choc - chocolate ice cream with a solid chocolate slab in the centre and a crunchy chocolate coating on the outside.

Kool Mints (and Kool Fruits and Kool Chocs) still exist, but they don't come in a tin any more.
Fags got renamed Fads and they removed the red colouring from one end! (The original name refers to slang for cigarettes.)
Spearmint Leaves
Sherbet Lemons
Wiz Fizz - I think this is still around.
Peppermint Patties and Golden Roughs
Redskins, Spear-o-mints, Milk Chews, Toffee Apples and Choo-choo Bars - all sticky, chewy taffy type sweets that stuck to your teeth when soft, or threatened to break them when hard!
Bobbies - white, mint flavoured taffy type stuff with dark chocolate coating.

The more I think of, the more surprised I am that I still have teeth!

No new posts 01-10-2018 02:49 Katblu42 is offline Send an Email to Katblu42 Search for Posts by Katblu42 Add Katblu42 to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: