Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman » Don't worry, it's harmless
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous  1  [2]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Don't worry, it's harmless
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
GrumpyGhostOwl GrumpyGhostOwl is a Female
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-12-2016

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Katblu42
quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
EW- thats a good point. But they don't really disclose the birdstyles secret??? I know the eps where Juns shoe goes under tests by some fortunate goons messing around.

But I don't recall radiation being mentioned as part of the process.

The detransmute gun... mmmm.... haven't watched those eps in ages.

I don't remember radiation being mentioned either - I thought it was something to do with radio waves at ultra high frequency (I actually read somewhere 3600mhz). One website I recently visited said it was "electrical waves".

Strictly speaking, all forms of EM emissions are "radiation." Remember how at the turn of the century everyone was convinced that their cell phones were going to give us all brain tumours? And how living under the big electricity transmission lines was making people sick? And how some folks reckon WiFi in the home is hazardous to your family's health? It's all radiation.

We used to joke that standing near ground-based radar when it was in operation was a good way to guarantee that you'd never have children. Why? Because it's radiation.

BTW, scientists have recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

No new posts 24-05-2017 13:56 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyGhostOwl
BTW, scientists have recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

Whoa! I'm still reeling from the study that concluded that cancer causes research in rats!

No new posts 24-05-2017 14:48 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

quote:
EW- thats a good point. But they don't really disclose the birdstyles secret??? I know the eps where Juns shoe goes under tests by some fortunate goons messing around.

But I don't recall radiation being mentioned as part of the process.

The detransmute gun... mmmm.... haven't watched those eps in ages.

That gun and/or the episodes where Galactor can track the transformation I thought mentioned something about radiation.

No new posts 24-05-2017 22:51 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Katblu42 Katblu42 is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 19-10-2016

spacer

I think the wording depends on the translation (subs vs dubs etc.).

No new posts 25-05-2017 02:16 Katblu42 is offline Send an Email to Katblu42 Search for Posts by Katblu42 Add Katblu42 to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

From the times it was made radiation was the in thing. They knew the effects of it in the 60s so in a way I would have thought they would have found another science made up techy word for it.

No new posts 25-05-2017 02:59 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Here's something I've pondered occasionally. Depending on how the cerebonics work and if they accelerate healing, if that's brand new tech then it's possible that accelerated cell growth could lead to all kinds of tumors, cancerous or not. Wouldn't it suck if the BOTP team had to regularly get those removed?

No new posts 26-05-2017 04:55 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

I think when it comes to the cybernetics and the full implant abilities is generally fandom ideas in fics rather than true canon.

Mostly from what I gather in the series its their ability to jump higher and enhanced strengths that the implant is for. They don't go into it much beyond that.

In "Reconciliation." I used the idea of the implant accelerating cell healing as a way to explain Ken's recovery and further the recovery of Mark and Jason from their implants and extra strength.

No new posts 26-05-2017 06:03 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Very true. Smile

No new posts 26-05-2017 22:14 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
GrumpyGhostOwl GrumpyGhostOwl is a Female
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-12-2016

spacer

quote:
I think when it comes to the cybernetics and the full implant abilities is generally fandom ideas in fics rather than true canon.

Mostly from what I gather in the series its their ability to jump higher and enhanced strengths that the implant is for. They don't go into it much beyond that.

In BotP they don't go into any detail at all, really, and this is probably just as well. I say this because anyone who thinks that, "On-board ailerons have lost orbital electrons!" is a valid thing to include in any script other than one that mercilessly satirises the genre, clearly doesn't understand -

(a) what the flappy bits on aeroplanes are for; or
(b) the fundamental basics of atomic structure... those same fundamental basics that we learn at age 12.

Frankly, if you're going to write for a series where at least two of the main characters and one of the recurring cast are highly accomplished pilots and it's obviously science fiction, it probably helps if you paid attention in science at least until you graduated from primary (elementary) school, and possibly have a diagram of an aeroplane with labels showing the names, positions and functions of all the important bits... like ailerons, for instance.* But that's just me.

So, no, they didn't go into any detail, and yes, I'm very relieved that they didn't, because if they had it would probably have made my brain go asplode.

* Credit where credit's due, the writers did know what a rudder is and acknowledged that it can be a tad tricky to land an aircraft without one. (They did, however, overlook the fact that the rudder on the Phoenix is clearly undersized to the point of absurdity. The only way to steer that thing would be by using variable thrust, and frankly, with the lack of kinaesthetic feedback at the control console, I'll say again that every single iteration of G-5 is clearly made of awesome when it comes to being able to control that machine.)

No new posts 27-05-2017 07:38 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Katblu42
I think the wording depends on the translation (subs vs dubs etc.).

I tend to stick with subs since I like to hear the original voices. Though if I'm multitasking, dubs can be helpful. Smile

No new posts 27-05-2017 20:25 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): « previous  1  [2] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: