Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman Merchandise, old & new » PlayToy HK Gatchaman Soft Vinyl Figures
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page PlayToy HK Gatchaman Soft Vinyl Figures
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
PlayToy HK Gatchaman Soft Vinyl Figures Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

PlayToy HK has announced that they will be releasing a set of soft vinyl figures of the Science Ninja Team as part of their VinArt line of toys.

The figures are each 11 inches tall, except for the 9 inch tall Jinpei. All five figures come with removable helmets and their individual weapons.

It is unclear whether or not these figures have any amount of articulation, or if they are more or less soft vinyl statues. If they have any articulation at all, it would be at their hips, shoulders, and/or neck.

These toys are high-end collectible soft vinyl figures, and as you might expect, this mean they come with a high-end collectible price. The individual figures are selling for $798 Hong Kong dollars apiece, which is roughly $103 U.S. dollars each. They can also be bought as a five figure set, which sells for $3,840 Hong Kong dollars, which is roughly $495 U.S. dollars.

If you'd like to see more photos of the figures, including what they look like with their helmets removed, or would like to order any of the figures for yourself, this can be done at the PlayToy website here:

http://www.playtoy.com.hk/pages/home

James

No new posts 06-07-2016 01:26 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I guess they're trying to make the figures look old school? I find them fairly ugly, can't see spending that kind of money on them, but thank you for keeping us informed!

No new posts 06-07-2016 05:46 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

I don't disagree with you on the ugly. They aren't going to be winning any beauty contests, that's for sure!

You hit the nail on the head that they're trying for an old school look. Soft vinyl toys in Japan during the 1960's, 1970's, and early 1980's tended toward exaggerated and strangely proportioned representations of the characters. At their best, they can be described as "cute." At their worst, they're just plain ol' ugly with a capitol "Ugh."

Since those vintage soft vinyl figures are the toys that many of the soft vinyl collectors grew up with, the modern day, high end soft vinyl market tries to replicate that type of design aesthetic in order to appeal to the nostalgia of their audience.

If we had played with the old Japanese soft vinyl toys as children, we'd probably think these looked great. Since we didn't, we lack the nostalgic resonance that they're aiming for, and find these figures unattractive. As long as their intended audience likes them, then I guess that is all that really matters.

James

No new posts 06-07-2016 18:08 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Very true! I know Asian collectors who are getting them. That's the best explanation I've seen, btw, thanks!

I do buy the older ones because they're vintage from the show. These, though, nah.

No new posts 06-07-2016 22:08 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Thanks for letting us know about this James. Those pictures look great! I guess I fall on the 'cute' side of the equation. Of course, I haven't seen their faces yet. Wink

No new posts 07-07-2016 20:53 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Kritter Kritter is a Female
Forum Legend

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-05-2014

spacer

Maybe its the angle of the photo or its just me but Ryu looks pregnant instead of plump.

No new posts 08-07-2016 02:27 Kritter is offline Send an Email to Kritter Search for Posts by Kritter Add Kritter to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Kritter
Maybe its the angle of the photo or its just me but Ryu looks pregnant instead of plump.

I had the same thoughts....LOL

No new posts 10-07-2016 13:31 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Redbird
quote:
Originally posted by Kritter

I had the same thoughts....LOL

Okay, maybe my brain is starting to go back to its normal, quirky self....I just had this thought flash through my mind: Hmm...I wonder what could be done with that in a BotP story line....

No new posts 10-07-2016 14:46 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Uh oh, EW!

No new posts 10-07-2016 20:11 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
Thanks for letting us know about this James. Those pictures look great! I guess I fall on the 'cute' side of the equation. Of course, I haven't seen their faces yet. ;)

Well, that's an easy fix. Not as easy as you using the link I provided in the initial post to check them out yourself, but still easy.

Just remember; once seen, these cannot be unseen. Don't blame me if you feel a sudden urge to tear out your own eyes.

James

No new posts 16-07-2016 23:00 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Well, they could be worse. Smile

No new posts 16-07-2016 23:51 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

Yeah, at least they've tried to make them look accurate.

No new posts 17-07-2016 00:26 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

Bad case of helmet hair aside....

No new posts 17-07-2016 02:03 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: