Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman Merchandise, old & new » Live Action Gatchaman Movie Home Video Release
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Live Action Gatchaman Movie Home Video Release
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Live Action Gatchaman Movie Home Video Release Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

The home video release of the live action Gatchaman movie finally has a Japanese release date! Vap has announced that they will be releasing the film on DVD and Blu-ray on Tuesday, March 5, 2014. A 2-disc set, the DVD will retail for 4,800 yen (Plus tax), and the Blu-ray will run 5,800 yen (Plus tax).

The first disc in both sets is the movie, with the second disc having the special features. The announced material on this second disc includes the following:

A “Making Of” video
Event footage
Previews and TV commercial collection

The set will also include a booklet on the film.

In kind of an odd move, the special features disc in the Blu-ray set will be a DVD, not a Blu-ray. Only the disc with the film will be Blu-ray.

Alas, at this point, it does not appear that the Good Morning Ninja Team Gatchaman short that ran with the film will not be included in the set.

As you might expect, being a Japanese release, the DVD will be Region Code 2, meaning you’ll need a code free DVD player to view it in North America. On the other hand, the Blu-ray will be Region Code A, which is shared by both Japan and North America, so American fans can view the Blu-ray on any standard Blu-ray player.

Unfortunately, at this point, no captioning options have been announced for the film, not even in Japanese. I know many people were hoping that the film would include a set of English subtitles, as some Japanese films have done in recent years, but it doesn’t look like that will happen with this film. Of course, bootlegs from Hong Kong or Taiwan will likely fill that void within weeks of the film being released in Japan, so…

If you want to preorder this release, it can be found on places like CD Japan and Amazon Japan. The links for them can be found here:

DVD:

CD Japan;

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VPBT-13870

Amazon Japan;

http://tinyurl.com/lya2558

Blu-ray:

CD Japan;

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=VPXT-71293

Amazon Japan;

http://tinyurl.com/lerj4dz

I hope this helps!

James

No new posts 21-12-2013 04:29 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Victoria Victoria is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 07-10-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Finally. i've been stalking CD Japan, AmiAmi and e-bay for quite a while now.. Fifth March, eh? Well, I guess I should start saving now, for the horrid shipping and all. I just wish they would make some original Gatchaman Figmas.

My fanart is here

No new posts 21-12-2013 04:45 Victoria is offline Send an Email to Victoria Homepage of Victoria Search for Posts by Victoria Add Victoria to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Figmas?

Hmm that's exciting to think that subtitles will be coming one way or another ...

No new posts 21-12-2013 04:58 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

We know the English subtitles already exist, seeing as they were used at the film festivals in Canada, the US and Australia. Why wouldn't they use them? Subtitles take up almost nothing in terms of space on a DVD.

No new posts 21-12-2013 06:43 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Frown No subtitles, when a myriad of other movies have them! Grrrrr ....

No new posts 21-12-2013 14:45 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Exalted Member

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Figmas?

Figmas are small action figures that come with a stand and a set of accessories. They are jointed, so you can set them up in all kinds of poses, have interchangeable faces, and are very customisable. And the detail in some of them is incredible. Here, a figma from the manga/anime Attack on Titan.

My fanart is here

No new posts 21-12-2013 16:27 Victoria is offline Send an Email to Victoria Homepage of Victoria Search for Posts by Victoria Add Victoria to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

Oh, I so like that.

(says she who isn't really an action figure person0

No new posts 21-12-2013 18:56 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Ooooooh that's awesome. I'd love some Gatch figmas!

No new posts 21-12-2013 21:40 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I've got to have the subtitles to order.

I like that figma.

No new posts 21-12-2013 22:48 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
We know the English subtitles already exist, seeing as they were used at the film festivals in Canada, the US and Australia. Why wouldn't they use them? Subtitles take up almost nothing in terms of space on a DVD.

This type of subject has come up in the past, but it's been a while. So, let's go over it again.

From a purely manufacturing standpoint, you are quite correct. There is no technological reason why they can't include subtitles from the English translation Nikkatsu already has, assuming Nikkatsu is willing to share that translation with Vap.

The reasons why it probably won't happen aren't so much technological, but sociological. Unlike America, Japan tends to be a very insular country, looking at itself as isolated from the rest of the world. When they make a product like DVDs or Blu-ray discs, they aren't thinking in terms of anything beyond the Japanese market. Yes, they are aware that there are those outside of Japan who might buy their products, but they aren't making them with those outsiders in mind. With a mindset that their total audience is in the Japanese market, they really don't see a reason to include things like English subtitles as an extra.

Also, as I mentioned in my original post, there aren't any captioning options listed for this release. This includes Japanese language captions. If they aren't providing captions to make the film more accessible for hearing-impaired people within their own country, why should they worry about making the film accessible for a non-existent (In their view) foreign market?

Okay, to be fair, it could still happen. Vap's official website for the home video release does include a disclaimer that the discs are subject to change from what is currently announced. So, there is a chance that Vap will add additional material to the release, including captioning options, but the chances of that are very slim indeed.

So, yes, it is disappointing. But without any real perception on Vap's part of a need to do so, it is unlikely to change. Instead, we'll probably have to wait for a bootleg version to show up that does include English subtitles (And hope that they do a decent job of translating the script! The translations on the bootleg discs from Taiwan or Hong Kong can sometimes be fairly poor).

Who knows, there might even be a legal home video release of the film here someday. Sadly, if the Yatterman and Space Battleship Yamato live action movies are any indication, that might not be for a while. Both of those films took four years from their Japanese theatrical releases to have a legal North American home video release. If that holds true for Gatchaman, we might not see it legally released here until 2017... Yikes!!

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 27-12-2013 at 18:09.
No new posts 24-12-2013 00:11 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

A cultural perspective is always appreciated, James! I wonder what it will take to tip these things over into a change, not just for foreigners, but for those who need Japanese-language captioning. (Of course, it'll have to come from within, rather than from without.)

I went to Japan on a pop culture tour in 2006 or so (Tokyo and then the Sapporo ice festival). A reporter actually did a feature on our group. I've still got the article. (The tour company translated it for us.) I'd gone with friends and there's a pic of us in there holding up some of our manga/art book purchases. I'd say that shows they have some curiosity toward foreign fans. Smile

No new posts 24-12-2013 01:57 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

Having looked at figmas online, -the price! I think ill stick to my Games workshop vice....

How about we contact the company directly? prove there is a market outside of Japan?

No new posts 24-12-2013 12:54 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

You'd think they'd want to make the additional income.

No new posts 24-12-2013 20:57 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

They have to be sure it'd balance out to income. Smile

No new posts 24-12-2013 21:16 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

It can't cost that much to do subtitles, could it?

No new posts 25-12-2013 00:16 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Oh, I was still thinking figmas. Smile

No new posts 25-12-2013 04:32 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Exalted Member

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan

With a mindset that their total audience is in the Japanese market, they really don't see a reason to include things like English subtitles as an extra

Ah yes, that delicious paradox. They, or at least the people responsible for marketing, still operate with this sakoku mentality, and yet they keep on complaining about fansubs and scanlation sites. This includes occasionally even the Japanese government itself. I see where they're coming from, however I'm of the opinion that fansubbing raises the overseas popularity of the shows in question, and though some of the producers/studios/mangakas claim they don't care about this, others actually acknowledge the benefits this brings to the industry.

And so I'm not going to feel particularly guilty once I download a pirated copy of the movie.

My fanart is here

No new posts 27-12-2013 02:23 Victoria is offline Send an Email to Victoria Homepage of Victoria Search for Posts by Victoria Add Victoria to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: