Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » Stink Bugs-yeah the bugs stink
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Stink Bugs-yeah the bugs stink
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-12-2011

spacer
Stink Bugs-yeah the bugs stink Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

With the fall comes the arrival of stink bugs. They are looking for small, tiny places that they can overwinter in. So in essence, they are swarming against the warmish south-west side of my house.

These insects are about the size of your thumbnail, and when threatened supposedly spray a stinky venom that smells something like Cilantro...

Anyway, I had the sliding door to the patio open, with the retractable screen closed to keep critters out. The screen is on the inside, this is important, as one needs to to open the screen to adjust the outer, solid door.

Well, when I tried to open the screen, it only went a little way then jammed... I tried wriggling it but it would not budge.

Important factor #2. I had my dinner plate in my left hand so was unable to effectively move the door, so my daughter comes up (she is 17 btw, not a young child) and with both hands gives the screen a good shake so that at least we can pull it closed.

In doing so...about twenty or so stinkbugs come flying out of the slot that the screen retracts into...no kidding.. they were cramming themselve in there so tight that they blocked the screen from working properly.

I make a sound like "Auughhh," while my daughter makes a noise that sounds surprsingly like "Waaauuugh, then takes off, yelling over her shoulder, "I'm gonna get the vacuum!"

Important factor #3. We are doing renovations upstairs, so my girl comes down hauling our ottoman sized shop vac. Plugs it in and with a valiant war-cry begins vacuuming up the horrible little things.

I stepped back, assured that my dinner was saved from any sort of minor indignity and realized with no small bit of pride.

I've raised me no wimps. Spidereek

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by k2p2 on 27-09-2013 at 12:59.
No new posts 27-09-2013 12:57 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

That oughtta teach 'em varmints!

But I've had a slightly different experience with stink bugs....at one time, when my niece had one of her "I know more than everyone else here" spells, she kept squashing the darned things, claiming they wouldn't stink.

Oh boy, did they stink!

And it wasn't a Cilantro smell, either. It wasn't as bad as a skunk, but it was still bad enough.

No new posts 27-09-2013 13:17 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ElectricWhite

Oh boy, did they stink!

And it wasn't a Cilantro smell, either. It wasn't as bad as a skunk, but it was still bad enough.

I think that is why the vacuum was the chosen weapon in this fight. And the shop-vac smells like construction materials while running...it had a heavy duty filter.

No new posts 27-09-2013 13:33 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I'm glad you were able to get rid of them so they didn't stink!

No new posts 27-09-2013 15:01 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Sounds like Galactor to me! Glad you have trained ninjas inthe house to take care of things! nunchukas

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 27-09-2013 15:28 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Glad we don't have such insects in our country, added to ours! That would be it for me!!

No new posts 28-09-2013 11:54 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: