Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Film Flam » Hunger games
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Hunger games
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer
Hunger games Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Watched it last night -- awesome!

And very very faithful to the books, which is not always the case!

No new posts 23-03-2012 10:54 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Does anyone remember "Battle Royale?"

No new posts 23-03-2012 17:27 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

That's good to hear, Daniella! DD and I are going tomorrow morning. She used to be really into the Percy Jackson books, and what a disappointment in the movie! We're hoping Hunger Games is of better quality. Wink

No new posts 23-03-2012 19:52 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

I'm planning to see it, as I've read the books. But I'll probably go on a Tuesday, or something like that, to avoid the crowds.

Glad to hear they've stayed close to the original plot. I can understand when things in a book have to be left out of a film, for time constraints, but I hate it when changes are made for no good reason.

No new posts 24-03-2012 15:24 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I've read some comments on IMDB that some people didn't like how they left out some important bits at the end (I won't say which) in order to make it less violent. For me, this was not so important. The whole film was very close to the books.

No new posts 25-03-2012 08:07 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by k2p2

Haven't seen it, but I' ve read it's a lot like Hunger Games. Is that so? Have you guys seen it?

No new posts 25-03-2012 12:57 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Daniella T
quote:

Haven't seen it, but I' ve read it's a lot like Hunger Games. Is that so? Have you guys seen it?

I haven't read it either, but you might find this article interesting.

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainmen...e&position=also

No new posts 25-03-2012 16:16 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
I've read some comments on IMDB that some people didn't like how they left out some important bits at the end (I won't say which) in order to make it less violent. For me, this was not so important. The whole film was very close to the books.

My DD (who is only 11 and still figuring this 'transfer to movie' stuff out) was complaining about how they changed some things, but I was trying to point out to her that many of these things were done for time constraints. For example, in the book, at the very beginning, no one goes to work on Reaping Day. But in the movie, everyone is out and about and going to the coal mines, etc. I was trying to explain to DD that the filmakers did this so they could show a bunch of 'snapshoots' of life around the district to explain a lot of background in about 30-60 seconds, and that the reality of having people working on Reaping Day didn't affect the main plot at all.

As for the ending (the VERY ending) it wasn't as drawn out as in the book, but IMHO that was for the better. They did a great job of minimizing the blood and gore, and if they had extended the ending scene they would probably have had to go over that line.

I won't say the movie was fantastic, but they did an excellent job of staying true to the novels (much in the way the Harry Potter movies stayed reasonably true to the books) and I really enjoyed it. And yeah, I was teary-eyed in 2 places, even though I knew exactly what was coming and thought I was steeling myself for it... Wink

The local theatre I went to was packed, and full of all kinds of people: teens, people in their 20s, people in their 40s and 50s... and about 50/50 men and women, which was surprising to me. In the middle, during that big teary scene (if you've read the books, you know what I'm taking about during the games) the place was absolutely silent. Incredibly silent. Hundreds of people just sitting and watching in silence. Very powerful moment there.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 25-03-2012 at 16:24.
No new posts 25-03-2012 16:23 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
quote:
quote:

I haven't read it either, but you might find this article interesting.

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainmen...e&position=also

Thanks TJ!

No new posts 26-03-2012 07:40 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

I haven't read the books, but I really enjoyed the depth and complexity of the movie and the world in which it happened. And our little local theatre was packed too. Everyone was pretty shocked!

No new posts 03-04-2012 23:55 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Shocked by the movie or shocked because of the content of the movie?

No new posts 04-04-2012 14:39 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I finally saw it last night -a late showing on a Tuesday night, and there were a total of three people in the theater.

I agree -it stuck quite close to the plot of the book, and in the time available, included all the most important things from the book.

No new posts 04-04-2012 15:08 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
Shocked by the movie or shocked because of the content of the movie?

Shocked that the theatre was so packed. I live in a small town. Smile

No new posts 04-04-2012 19:34 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
and in the time available, included all the most important things from the book.

I'm not surprised by that, since they're already contracted to do 3 more films (the last book in 2 movies, as is apparently becoming common).

No new posts 04-04-2012 20:54 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I did notice some of the omissions -certain characters who cannot speak, and a certain amputation- but those aren't so key to the central plot, so I'm okay with it.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 04-04-2012 at 22:39.
No new posts 04-04-2012 22:38 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

After hearing all the hype about this movie, and now that I am working with a couple of older grades in my school, I decided I should investigate what this was all about.

After a lot of conversations with people, mostly whether I should read the book first of go to the movie first, I finally was given a copy of the book and have just finished reading it this weekend.

Now I guess I can decide if I pop out to watch the movie sometime this week, or on the weekend.

No new posts 09-04-2012 01:07 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I found this online and thought it was pretty good...

No new posts 14-05-2012 20:26 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Great find, TJ! Animeclap

No new posts 14-05-2012 21:50 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

LOL !
That combines two movies/books I have enjoyed. Great find.

No new posts 14-05-2012 22:14 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: