Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Fun Forums] »The World on the Web » Green Eyes in Anime
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Green Eyes in Anime
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer
Green Eyes in Anime Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I read somewhere about eye colour symbolism in Anime...

Blue eyed people have a tragic past

Brown eyed people are ordinary, but with potential.

Violet eyed are magicians.

but I cant recall the green!

or any others!!

Does anyone know?

No new posts 09-11-2011 22:22 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I've never heard this, but Ken and Joe have blue eyes and tragic pasts so that certainly fits with Gatchaman. Granted, Jun and Jinpei have dead parents too, though they can't remember them.

Whatever green eyes are said to symbolize, I hope, for Jun's sake that it's something good!

No new posts 10-11-2011 02:43 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Aren't Joe's eyes said to be steel grey (very light blue apposed to Ken's baby blue)

Does that symbolize something?

That posses a question: what colour are Katse's eyes?

No new posts 10-11-2011 12:28 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

If any one finds a link I would be interested in seeing it. I could find a bit on Anime and hair colour, but not on eye colour. (Hmmm, I wonder if the spelling of color would make a difference? I will have to try that when I get home.)

No new posts 10-11-2011 14:36 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Katse's eyes are whatever color he wants them to be! He is the master of disguise, after all...

No new posts 10-11-2011 14:56 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

CD, I found this:

http://www.three-musketeers.net/mike/eyes.html

I don't know if this is what you want, though. I'll keep looking.

No new posts 10-11-2011 21:46 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Thank you Amethyst. That is the one article I found as well and I didn't think it cover the information talked about by Tengu.

I thought what Tengu found might make an interesting read. The stuff on hair colour and personalities was fascinating although when relating some articles to Gatch, I found it was not always correct, but then that was not to be expected.

No new posts 10-11-2011 22:05 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

spacer

Warm but not hot.

I think its on TV tropes (a magnificant resouce) but I cannot find it

No new posts 10-11-2011 22:53 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

I think I've seen FemKatse with blue eyes, but I could be wrong.

Given Katse's coloring, blue or grey eyes would seem most likely.

Since Gatch was made in the 1970s, it might be an early stage in the development of the idea. Aside from the oddity of a presumably Japanese man (Ken) with blue eyes, all the characters have relatively normal coloring. Mecha-captain wigs and outfits don't count. (I still think Jun's unusual hair color was to avoid distracting viewers with a large black area whenever the team was in civvies.)

No new posts 10-11-2011 23:12 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter
I still think Jun's unusual hair color was to avoid distracting viewers with a large black area whenever the team was in civvies.

It could also be another attempt at realism, which the show seemed to do pertaining to non-Galactor characters.

Black hair, like all others has undertones. These undertones are predominately red, blue, or green.

While it is possible that they intended her hair to be green, it is also possible that they intended to give the black hair a green undertone to avoid the large black area, and to give dimension to her hair, which would be hard to do with solid black.

No new posts 11-11-2011 00:01 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

Sorry if this sounds a bit obvious, but doesn't green eyes signify jealousy? As in the green eyed monster?

No new posts 11-11-2011 22:22 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by KT1972
Sorry if this sounds a bit obvious, but doesn't green eyes signify jealousy? As in the green eyed monster?

It can mean that, but I've noticed that in animation that usually happens if a character with a different color for eyes has their eyes suddenly turn green.

Jun does come across as slightly jealous at times, but I would not say that is her strongest or predominate character trait.

So while it is obvious, I don't know if it would apply to Jun.

No new posts 11-11-2011 22:41 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
condorcandi condorcandi is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-06-2010

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by KT1972

The green-eyed monster is first found in print in Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice, although the phrase itself may be older. So the idea seems to be Western, and adopted by the Japanese.

I've discovered one of the most dangerous things to do when trying to understand any facet of Japanese culture, including anime and manga, is to put Western ideas on Asian concepts. They just don't think the same way.

Hollywood is a land of money and cowardice.

-Henry A. Lee, Cracked.com columnist

No new posts 11-11-2011 23:07 condorcandi is offline Search for Posts by condorcandi Add condorcandi to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

spacer

Yes.

i cannot also understand the use of classical names.

No new posts 13-11-2011 17:02 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: