Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Video/PC Games, Models & Toys » Old DOS PC games
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Old DOS PC games
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
AllentownDarkWater AllentownDarkWater is a Male
Banned

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-01-2010

spacer
Old DOS PC games Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Boy do I miss playing alot of these. You can't even play them on a modern day operating system unless you have the DOS box emulator. Anyway, I think the early to mid 90's was the golden age of PC gaming for me. The late 90's and early 2000's were the silver age, and today's PC gaming is the bronze age. I really don't think most of today's PC games are appealing to me in any way, shape or form. Back in the 90's, I was really into the stuff by companies like LucasArts and Apogee (now known as 3D Realms).

No new posts 02-04-2010 04:37 AllentownDarkWater is offline Search for Posts by AllentownDarkWater Add AllentownDarkWater to your Buddy List
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I know what you mean. Our family's first PC (a 286) was returned within 48 hours and a 486 bought because we couldn't play the Star Trek game we bought on it!! (my father was also a Sci Fi nut).

But we had some great DOS games - one of my favorites was "Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego"

I was so disappointed with the Windows version of the game - nowhere near as versatile scenarios as the DOS version - in fact there was a very limited number and once you worked them out there just was no challenge.

I think what happened is tht Windows made things so much more accessible, that a lot of game designers made things to structured so that people wouldn't get too frustrated playing.

Pity. I really do still miss Carmen!

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 02-04-2010 04:57 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-11-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I loved Carmen!

No new posts 02-04-2010 05:04 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

I had an ebil thought. Devil1

How the KNT Plays Carmen Sandiego

Eagle - follows all the clues carefully and stoically tracks her down, only to have her escape from his grasp. Blows up her base.

Condor - picks up an attractive woman whilst out shopping. She tries to kill him and he discovers she is Carmen Sandiego. Goes with Ealge to blow up her base.

Swallow - manages to find the cheats in the game, but then obeys an order from the Eagle and Carmen slips away. Goes with Eagle and Condor to blow up her base.

Owl - napped and missed the whole thing. But is there with the transport and firepower to blow up the base.

Swan - Is Carmen Sandiego.

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 02-04-2010 05:49 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-11-2009

spacer

pound pound

Too perfect, Maddy!

No new posts 02-04-2010 06:04 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I'll date myself here... I remember playing Nethack... and before that, Hack and Rogue. It was a wonderful game created entirely with ASCII characters.

You can actually still play it now. It has a cult following.

http://www.nethack.org/common/index.html

No new posts 02-04-2010 15:48 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

Wow. I don't remember that one, TJ. I've never played Carmen San Diego, but do remember The Oregon Trail (yeah, that was Apple IIe). I also remember buying program books with games in them and having to type in all the DOS codes to get the games to play. It really frustrated my husband when he'd spend hours typing something in couldn't get it to play and I'd come along and scan his typing and the book and find three or four mistakes in a few minutes. it would be wonderful if I still remembered that stuff, but then if you don't use it you lose it.

No new posts 02-04-2010 16:01 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: