Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Episode of the Week » Gatchaman Episode 50: “Trachodon, the Dinosaur Skeleton”
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous  1  2  [3]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman Episode 50: “Trachodon, the Dinosaur Skeleton”
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

In a Japanese accent, 'Bird Go' and 'God Phoenix' sound way cool.

I was on Wikipedia just a little while ago, and I was right about Keye Luke voicing Zoltar, the Luminous One, and Cronus. Just little differences of pitch and tone distinguish them.

Here's the amazing thing: Janet Waldo was born in 1918. That means she was 60 when she was convincing us that she was the adolescent Princess. And she's still around (at least as of the last update in Wikipedia).

Okay, I think my memory failed on that one. She was born in 1928, which is more reasonable.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by UnpublishedWriter on 27-04-2010 at 14:32.
No new posts 19-10-2009 01:30 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter

(I'm revisiting BOTP on the veoh site. It has its charms, but it seems --- slight by comparison. Guess it's the lack of angst. Now that I have high-speed, maybe I WILL risk making up some reviews.)

I love to see from reviews from you!

quote:
Originally posted by Amethyst

James said earlier that, quite correctly, that they are three entirely different shows. Actually I'd like to say four, as the ADV English dub has a completely different feel from the subbed version, some of it is translation, but much of it is cultural and characterizations from the actors who bring something different to the show.

You make a very good observation! The first time I watched ADV's Gatchaman, it was with my nephew and he had no patience at all for subtitles (he was 10) so dub it was. But, usually late at night, I would rewatch my favourite episodes with the subtitles and I enjoyed being immersed in the "Japanese-ness" of the show and hearing the characters' Japanese voices and intonations. You're right -it is a very different feel. Plus, the subtitles being a far more literal translation, I picked up some things that weren't in the dub.

Unless I'm very pressed for time, I watch the episodes that I'm reviewing both with the dub and the subs.

This has been known to result in my boyfriend attempting imitations of Joe's tone and intonations, in fake Japanese... (He does to Japanese what the Muppet Show's Swedish chef did to Swedish)

No new posts 19-10-2009 01:46 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

Lol Great comment about the Swedish chef. I almost have my oldest convinced that the Swedish chef does not speak Swedish but Swedish Chef. I can't get him to sit and watch Gatch or BotP with me. My younger son will watch both when he's not busy, and my daughter will watch Gatch when in the mood (she likes Jinpie but thinks Keyop is just weird). Me, I don't care which Condor you give, but prefer Jason or the original Joe to the OAV Joe.

No new posts 19-10-2009 02:08 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Back to the ordering.

Zoiks!

No new posts 27-04-2010 14:33 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
condorcandi condorcandi is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-06-2010

spacer

quote:
“I happened to find one of those gold coins.” With that, Joe flips the coin in Ken’s direction.

“I’m impressed you got your hands on one,” says Ken, catching it, “Not even the police have been able to find them.”

But Joe now casually throws himself down on one of the beds. Unfortunately, this doesn’t result in him pulling off his clothes and taking a shower though. Damn…

“We’ve got the upper hand,” he says calmly, putting his arms behind his head, “If someone’s got one, I can beat him senseless for it and he can’t even notify the police.”

Yikes!

“Did you threaten someone?” asks Ken, shocked.

“Just a guy who runs an antique shop on the edge of town,” says Joe, as if this were a completely normal, everyday activity, “I belted him a few, he got scared, and handed it over.”

Oh, Joe, Joe, Joe…

Tsk tsk... And to think Dirk went through the trouble of buying the coin he got. Took almost all his ready money, too. :p

Ace remembs the hissy fit the detective had over the gold coins. As he places the coin in the unconscious detective's hand, Ace says, "I am duly turning in the coin, sir." And I've often wondered how the detective explained having that coin! Rofl

This was the first episode I ever recorded, and it's still one of my favorites.

Hollywood is a land of money and cowardice.

-Henry A. Lee, Cracked.com columnist

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by condorcandi on 11-06-2010 at 05:22.
No new posts 11-06-2010 05:21 condorcandi is offline Search for Posts by condorcandi Add condorcandi to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by condorcandi

Tsk tsk... And to think Dirk went through the trouble of buying the coin he got. Took almost all his ready money, too. :p

Ace remembs the hissy fit the detective had over the gold coins. As he places the coin in the unconscious detective's hand, Ace says, "I am duly turning in the coin, sir." And I've often wondered how the detective explained having that coin! Rofl

This was the first episode I ever recorded, and it's still one of my favorites.

Aww, Dirk has to buy the coin? I admit that Joe's conduct isn't exactly... hero-like, but I love the very human-ness of it.

Out of curiousity, is the running gag about Ken never being able to pay his tab at the Snack J carried over into GoS in any fashion?

No new posts 11-06-2010 12:27 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I love this episode! It's the one that makes me laugh the most, and that counts for a *lot* with me.

But I'm disappointed that Dirk bought the coin. Sounds more like what Jason would do. I would have guessed that Dirk just 'borrowed' it when no one was looking.

And then Ace gave away the coin at the end? I can see Dirk being PO'd, because he's the one who bought it! Did he file an expense report with Dr. Brighthead upon return to the 'underwater base'? Wink

No new posts 11-06-2010 13:07 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

On BotP, Jason would have to buy the coin, since they could never, ever sanction using violence to retrieve stolen property. Angel3

I still get the 'Scooby-Doo' vibe when I think of this episode.

No new posts 11-06-2010 13:57 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
condorcandi condorcandi is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-06-2010

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88

Aww, Dirk has to buy the coin? I admit that Joe's conduct isn't exactly... hero-like, but I love the very human-ness of it.

Out of curiousity, is the running gag about Ken never being able to pay his tab at the Snack J carried over into GoS in any fashion?

Well, to be specific, Dirk said he bought the coin while talking to the coin dealers. That's where he picked up the information that everyone who had found or received the coins had turned up dead or missing within a week. They never actually show him paying for it. Wink I wouldn't put it past Dirk to palm something that might be vital to the mission.

Yes, the running tab gag is carried over into GoS. There's at least two scenes. One's in 52) The Secret Red Impulse (#52 Red Impulse's Secret). I can't remember tje other ep -or even the mech!- but Ace shows up last because he was delivering the mail on his 'day job', which Pewee knows means he got paid. Ace begins whistling and ignores Pewee. I remember the scene esp. because G-4 holds his hand in what looks like an 'okay' sign. But in Dos and Taboos Around the World, I read that in Japan that sign can mean 'money'. Which would make it far more appropiate for this scene than 'okay'.

Hollywood is a land of money and cowardice.

-Henry A. Lee, Cracked.com columnist

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by condorcandi on 12-06-2010 at 05:20.
No new posts 12-06-2010 05:17 condorcandi is offline Search for Posts by condorcandi Add condorcandi to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by condorcandi
I wouldn't put it past Dirk to palm something that might be vital to the mission.

Heh, I guess that's why he's "daring," and not a "goodheart."

I do remember the Ken/Jinpei whistling scene, just not what episode it's in. That might also be the one where Ken also tells Jinpei "You're turning into a mini-Jun!"

No new posts 12-06-2010 16:17 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
« previous  1  2  [3]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): « previous  1  2  [3] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: