Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Episode of the Week » Gatchaman Episode 4 - Revenge of the Iron Beast Mechadegon
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous  1  [2]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman Episode 4 - Revenge of the Iron Beast Mechadegon
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by gogirl212
quote:
Originally posted by Condorfan
This episode showed how emotional Ken can get. It really showed that he will follow his feelings enough and disobey orders when he feels it is justified. I surprised at his violence toward Naomi with punching her and slapping her--the girl just lost her father, was it necessary to do that?

CF - That is a great observation about Ken and his emotions. Joe is so much seen as the hothead, and yet Ken is just as capable of being impulsive when he is really moved. Maybe Joe has a fuse that is quicker to ignite, but Ken's lapses, when they do come, seem pretty dramatic - including his need to hit women and children. I so don't get that. Is he just so bad at showing love that it comes out as anger?

Ooh, interesting points, both of you!

Well, there is evidence in the series that Ken's father was certainly less-than-gentle to him. Whether we want to or not, I think we often do internalize behaviours we experience when we're young, and then end up doing them ourselves -a possible explanation for Ken's rough treatment of Naomi.

Ken says to Dr. Nambu near the end, that he "couldn't live with himself" if he hadn't done all the things he did -revealing their identities, disobeying the Doctor, firing a missile without permission- but it seems that he did all those things out of a determination to have Naomi avenge her father's death. Maybe he was seeing himself in Naomi. Maybe on some level it's always troubled Ken that his father was lost in a plane crash at sea (body never found) because there was no real closure, and no way for him to make it meaningful by "avenging" his father's death. He can't bear to have Naomi miss her chance, though, and he honestly seems to believe that she'll be better off if she gets to destroy the mecha with her own hand.

I agree that Ken does have very powerful emotions, for all that he tries to keep them in check. I think that when it comes down to it, he's guided more by what he feels is "right" or "just" than by obedience to authority -if the two don't coincide, Ken will defy authority.

No new posts 17-04-2009 15:01 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by saturn

For something extra (courtesy to my crankiness because I am still very sick right now), I just want to add that Naomi actually reminds me of ..........

A definite resemblance! Especially those long, long eyelashes.

I'm sorry you're sick, Saturn. I hope that you can get some rest and feel better soon!

No new posts 17-04-2009 15:08 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Condorfan Condorfan is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

spacer

I'm sorry you're not feeling well Saturn. I hope you will be feeling better soon--the Condor gets very grumpy when you're ill!Condor

No new posts 17-04-2009 16:53 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Someone on the BOTP mailing list brought my attention to a site where you can watch all the BOTP episodes. I've just been watching the BOTP version that SJ recapped.

http://www.veoh.com/collection/battleoft...v823455Rnjf6wKD

It strikes me as a little bit odd that Mark is prepared to resign from G-Force at the end -compared to Ken in the Gatch version, he's hardly done anything wrong!

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 17-04-2009 at 19:54.
No new posts 17-04-2009 19:50 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:
quote:
This episode showed how emotional Ken can get. It really showed that he will follow his feelings enough and disobey orders when he feels it is justified. I surprised at his violence toward Naomi with punching her and slapping her--the girl just lost her father, was it necessary to do that?

Thanks to all who worked on these summaries. (Love your comments Saturn!) I enjoyed the bloopers too!

CF - That is a great observation about Ken and his emotions. Joe is so much seen as the hothead, and yet Ken is just as capable of being impulsive when he is really moved. Maybe Joe has a fuse that is quicker to ignite, but Ken's lapses, when they do come, seem pretty dramatic - including his need to hit women and children. I so don't get that. Is he just so bad at showing love that it comes out as anger?

The summaries and screen caps are great! Thanks for all of the hard work.

LB kind of stated this, as children we internalize behaviours and actions we see from our parents. So your comment made me wonder .... I know we do not see any sign of this in the series, but do you think Ken's father may have hit and slapped Ken's mother. If his father was so "unkind" to Ken, maybe he was "unkind" to his wife as well .... Just a thought.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by clouddancer on 17-04-2009 at 21:22.
No new posts 17-04-2009 21:20 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Saturn you are correct she does remind me of Betty Boop as well.

I hope you feel better soon.

No new posts 17-04-2009 21:24 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
gogirl212 gogirl212 is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-07-2008

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer
quote:
quote:

Thanks to all who worked on these summaries. (Love your comments Saturn!) I enjoyed the bloopers too!

The summaries and screen caps are great! Thanks for all of the hard work.

LB kind of stated this, as children we internalize behaviours and actions we see from our parents. So your comment made me wonder .... I know we do not see any sign of this in the series, but do you think Ken's father may have hit and slapped Ken's mother. If his father was so "unkind" to Ken, maybe he was "unkind" to his wife as well .... Just a thought.

cloud - that is a very interesting idea. I never really considered that RI could easily have been abusive - or at least "rough" -- with both his wife and his son. Makes a whole lot more sense out of some incongruous personality traits, particularly Ken's desire to please authority (his father) that seems to run smack into his need to do "what is right" and "fair" and "just". I imagine he would have wanted to stand up to his father to protect his mother but being a young boy would have been powerless and scared of retribution. And there is that split of both loving and hating his father, and perhaps himself. No wonder he keeps hitting people in emotional situations! Poor baby . . .

No new posts 18-04-2009 04:31 gogirl212 is offline Send an Email to gogirl212 Search for Posts by gogirl212 Add gogirl212 to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: terrihasacat
Master Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Oh - I feel like I have to clarify something though - while I can empathize with what factors might drive Ken to express his anger physically, i absolutely don't think coming from an "abusive" background is an excuse for being abusive yourself. There is no justification in perpetuating that horrid cycle.

No new posts 18-04-2009 04:35 gogirl212 is offline Send an Email to gogirl212 Search for Posts by gogirl212 Add gogirl212 to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: terrihasacat
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Oh - I feel like I have to clarify something though - while I can empathize with what factors might drive Ken to express his anger physically, i absolutely don't think coming from an "abusive" background is an excuse for being abusive yourself. There is no justification in perpetuating that horrid cycle.

I agree and a lot of people do manage to break the cycle with outside help. But I also think Ken's "job" puts him under a lot of stress, I can imagine when "one more thing" pushes him over the edge then Ken might react instinctively. That is if Nambu did no get Ken to some therapist/psychologist to help him see this cyclical fact for himself.

No new posts 18-04-2009 14:40 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Psychological counseling does not seem like it was a high priority in KNT training!

I think my mother said once that making a good marriage was simply about finding a person who's neuroses matched with your own. As a group, they all come with a heck of a lot of baggage but all of their issues line up correctly with each other to create their own family/team. Sort of a yin/yang of dysfunction with the whole of them together rising to a completely different place through their love for each other.

I think in my heart I believe they want to treat each other well, they just are not perfect and just as you say don't always make the best choices in moments of stress.

No new posts 18-04-2009 15:02 gogirl212 is offline Send an Email to gogirl212 Search for Posts by gogirl212 Add gogirl212 to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: terrihasacat
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

That is a good way of looking at it Gogirl.

No new posts 18-04-2009 15:13 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
As a group, they all come with a heck of a lot of baggage but all of their issues line up correctly with each other to create their own family/team. Sort of a yin/yang of dysfunction with the whole of them together rising to a completely different place through their love for each other.

I think in my heart I believe they want to treat each other well, they just are not perfect and just as you say don't always make the best choices in moments of stress.

Well said, Gogirl. I think you've explained one big reason the show appeals to me so much -it so often depicted the messiness and complexity of real human personalities and relationships.

No new posts 19-04-2009 05:48 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

The group of you have done a wonderful job so far. I love the little bloopers that are being pointed out, and the ability to be able to discuss such a sentimental series with like minded people.

I remember as a kid, wondering if Mark wasn't there, visiting a grave site of his own.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 21-04-2009 17:10 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
JohngPR JohngPR is a Male
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 07-02-2010

spacer

I'm not going to lie, I LOL'd when Ken punched her in the gut and brought her to her knees, mostly because it seems so out of place....especially since that's so socially unacceptable these days. Same thing with him slapping her in the face.

Those were some awkward moments to have to explain to my son. LOL

Other than that, I think this episode had some good character development. It showed that not only is Ken willing to break the rules if it's the right thing to do at the moment, but that Dr. Nambu doesn't have a huge ego that wouldn't allow him to let the leader of his team make his own decisions. Not only that, but it reiterated that Ken has a soft spot for orphaned children.

So despite the beating Naomi took in this episode, I really enjoyed it. LOL

No new posts 08-02-2010 21:07 JohngPR is offline Send an Email to JohngPR Homepage of JohngPR Search for Posts by JohngPR Add JohngPR to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: JohngPR
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

And BotP called it a serpent!

No new posts 27-04-2010 12:14 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
condorcandi condorcandi is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-06-2010

spacer

4) The Giant Centipoid (#4 Revenge of the Iron Beast Mechadegon)

Dr. Brighthead as narrator: “At a chemical plant near the coast, workers are unaware that another plot against planet Earth has just been launched by the alien Galactor.

Camera pans over a chemical plant, then switches to a ship at sea.

Narrator continues: “And not far off the coast, a gigantic oil tanker steams toward the plant, never suspecting the danger lurking just below the surface of the sea.” I’ll take ‘steams’ as figurative.

Aack!! Cardboard box backbeat!

A waterspout arises from the sea in the tanker’s path. There are glowing eyes in the waterspout!

Scary music plays.

The captain and crew of the tanker are shown close up, shock on their faces. Than a farther view of the tanker shows an insectoid head very close in the foreground.

A distress call from the oil tanker out even as two metal tubes extend from the insectoid head and plunge into the tanker. “This is the captain of the oil tanker Magenta. Mayday! Mayday! We are under attack by what appears to be a gigantic centipoid robot. I’ve never seen anything like it! Repeat, Mayday! Mayday!”

The Centipoid mecha than smashes the ship to bits, causing a violent explosion. No life rafts. The Centipoid mech than ‘tunnels’ through the water and into the ocean bed.

Dr. B. as narrator’s back. He begins as the Centipoid (and its lots of little legs) tunnels through the earth. “Such an evil destructive force could only be the work of one being, an alien bent on possessing Earth for his own. Galactor!”

Switch to the Captain of the Week talking to Galactor on a large telescreen. “The Centipoid has drained the tanker and destroyed it as you commanded. Sir.” Geez, Galactor, micromanage much?

Galactor: “And before long my Centipoid robot will bring all the earth’s energy under my control. And the G-Force team will be helpless to stop me!” Scene switches back to the tunneling terror. Galactor gives an Evil Villain Laugh™ as his image is overlaid over that of the mecha on screen.

Switch to Ace running into a high-tech room. “Ace Goodheart reporting, Dr. Brighthead.”

“Hmm.” Brighthead seems less than impressed.
Ace: “I’m sorry if I kept you waiting, sir. I came as soon as I got your transmission.”

Dr. Brighthead: “If you’ve been reading your monthly reports, you should be aware that natural mineral deposits have been disappearing from the globe and major earthquakes have occurred simultaneously with these mysterious events.” Nice detail of how G-Force is kept informed.

Ace looks like his right eye is a black eye here. Bleeding ink or paint on the cell? Or maybe it has to do with why he’s late… Animetongue

“You want me to call the G-Force team to investigate?” Ace asks.

Brighthead: “Why don’t you pay a quiet little visit to the Seismic Research Center first?”

Ace nods. “All right, but it doesn’t take an expert to tell that Galactor is behind this.” He runs for the door.

“Be careful, Ace.”

Pausing, Ace answers, “I will sir. And next time you send me an emergency transmission, I promise to be here on time.” His voice is good-humored, teasing, as he leaves.

Scene switch to a comfortable-looking room. A blond guy with smiley-eyes enters the room. He greets his off-screen visitor and apologizes for keeping them waiting. Ace’s voice comes from off-camera.

“Thank you for taking the time to talk to me, Dr. Johnson. I’m Ace Goodheart, an associate of Dr. Brighthead’s.” This from a scruffy teenager in T-shirt and bell bottoms. animewink

Dr. Johnson: “I respect his work a great deal.”

Ace thanks him. They bow slightly to each other, and Ace tells the doctor that Brighthead sends his best wishes. They sit.

Johnson takes out a cigarette. “My secretary says you have some questions for me.”

Ace: “Well, I’m curious if you have any idea what’s been causing the recent earthquakes in different areas of the world.” (For those who might be interested, the clock on the wall behind Ace says 2 minutes to 1.)

Dr. Johnson: “Well, we’re doing our best to avoid a general state of panic regarding this matter.” He lights his cigarette. “But despite all our best efforts, we haven’t even been able to trace the seismic centers.” As scenes of broken equipment roll by: “We couldn’t get accurate readings because the local seismometers had been sabotaged.” He stubs out his cigarette.

“What do you think the relation is, Doctor?”
Dr. Johnson: “I’ve become convinced that whoever sabotaged those seismometers is also responsible for the recent series of earthquakes!

Ace is stunned. Leaning forward, he asks, “Can I examine your data, Dr.?”

Aaaannnndddd… cue the earthquake.

Ace and Dr. Johnson run outside. Lots of other people also run outside. Dr. Johnson can be heard calling for everyone to get out of the building and to open ground. (I hope that’s not the limit of their evac procedures.) Ace yanks Dr. Johnson out of the way of some falling architecture.

“Just a little further, Dr. Johns-“ A huge fracture splits the ground. Ace grabs Dr. Johnson, but they both slide down the crack.

Ace calls, “G-Force Transform!”

(I’m not surprised that an energy burst that can shred most regular clothing would kick G-1’s grip loose.)

Aagh! Cardboard boxes.

In uniform, Ace dives after the doctor. Dr. Johnson calls for help, and Ace tries to grab his arm and pull him out. As two bright lights shine out of the chasm, Dr. Johnson’s panicked voice is heard: “I-it looks like a-a gigantic centipede!” He slips loose, and Ace is left holding the doctor’s watch. G-1 can do nothing but haul tail out of the abyss as it closes. Even then, he tries to force open the crack with his hands. “I’m sorry, Dr. Johnson!” More softly, “I’m sorry.” Crying5

“I wish I could have saved your life. But you can rest assured that I’ll get Galactor for this.” Ace is furious, which is not good for Galactor and his goons.

I wonder, was the Centipoid’s attack to assassinate Dr. Johnson, to destroy the data and equipment at the Seismic Research Laboratory, or both?

Commercial break!

Scene opens at a graveyard. Ace is standing before a gravestone. He lays Dr. Johnson’s watch on it.

Sometimes I wonder why I’m even on the G-Force team. When I joined, I thought I’d be helping people. But on days like this it’s hard to see the end of the tunnel, Ace thinks. People like Dr. Johnson never hurt anybody. They only want to do their jobs and enjoy their lives. But if Galactor is able to take over the planet, we will all be slaves. I owe it to your memory to keep on fighting. I won’t let you down, Dr. Johnson. Ace bows his head in grief.

Someone sneaks up on Ace. A thin leg in bell bottoms steps in front of the camera. A small hand karate chops at him. Ace dodges aside just in time. The hit is followed by a kick. He jumps out of the way.

The attacker is a little girl, maybe ten, eleven years old.

Little girl: “Get up! Get up and fight, you murderer!”

“Huh?” Ace is rather surprised. “I’m no murderer!”

Little girl (angrily): “I know you’re one of Galactor’s men, so don’t try to fool me! I know your boss is responsible for the death of my father!”

Ace (astonished): “You’re Dr. Johnson’s girl!?”

Little girl: “Yes I am, and I’ve been taking karate lessons, so look out!” She launches into an attack.

(Sad part is, she probably is good enough to kick a goon’s rear.)

Ace ducks and dodges. “Hey now! Hey! Look out yourself. You could hurt somebody!” But this girl’s not giving up.

“Settle down,” Ace urges. “I’m your friend!” But the girl takes more swings at him.

“Do you expect me to believe that?!”

Ace punches his right fist into his hand. Oh no, he’s not…

Little girl: “Now fight me, you chicken!” She charges for him.

He did. Ace punches her right in the diaphragm and knocks the little girl cold. “Sorry, kid.”

Ace looks back at the gravestone. “Don’t worry, Dr. Johnson. I’ll be sure to take care of her for you.” He carries her away. Then he turns back again. And while I’m at it, I’ll take care of Galactor. Your efforts won’t be in vain, sir. You have Ace Goodheart’s word on that.

Even with the amount of control a team member can apply, hitting someone eight to ten years younger doesn’t sit right. Couldn’t he have kept ducking until she wore herself out? Ace’s training has got to have given him way more stamina then she has.

And cut to… Aggie’s place. (Tell me you’re surprised.)

Aggie is speaking. “I’ve consulted the general computer records, Ace. Her name is Tanya Johnson, and she’s the doctor’s only child.” Apparently those records also showed she has no immediate relatives worried about where the child is.

Sounding guilty, Ace says, “I can’t stop thinking that there must have been something more I could have done for her father.”

Aggie comforts him. “I know how you feel, Ace, but please don’t torture yourself about it. We have far too much work ahead of us to waste time feeling guilty.”

Ace (sounding happier): “Always the practical one, Aggie.” He looks at Tanya. “One thing I know for sure is that she’s suffering more than I am.” Turning back to Aggie, he asks (politely), “Can you watch her until I get back here?”

“On one condition. That you include me in the mission.” Translation: If you wind up doing stupid, you’ll need someone to save your tailfeathers. animewink

“You got it, Agatha. See ya later.”

“The name is Aggie and don’t you forget it!”

“Sorry!”

“Oh no you’re not!” Laugh2

Hollywood is a land of money and cowardice.

-Henry A. Lee, Cracked.com columnist

No new posts 13-06-2010 05:38 condorcandi is offline Search for Posts by condorcandi Add condorcandi to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Cut to Ace flying his cute little civilian plane.

Cardboard boxes. Gag…

Switch from outside the plane to interior view. Ace speaks into his communicator. “Right, Dr. Brighthead. Are you tracking me there?”

Brighthead: “You’re on the screen.”

A button is pushed. “Activating,” Ace states. A beam comes out and starts scanning the ground. I guess it’s a futuristic ground-penetrating radar.

Ace, for some odd reason, is leaning to peer through the glass of the cockpit instead of watching the radar’s progress on a screen.

The big screen back at the Dr.’s shows a line, presumably the trace of the scanned area. (Wouldn’t it make more sense to have a bunch of planes flying a search pattern? Or maybe there’s just the one extra-fancy radar set.)

Brighthead: “There are even greater mineral deposits under the mountain.” At least we know one of their search criteria now.

Ace is flying over mountains. And more mountains. And more mountains. Than something gets his attention. “Something tell me I’m getting warm. I’m heading up toward the coal reserves now, Dr.” The word sounds like either ‘core’ or ‘coal’ to me, but my son says it’s ‘coal’ and he’s closer to the TV with the younger ears.

A light on the airplane’s control panel flashes. “Hey, I think I’ve finally got something down below!” He turns the plane.

Brighthead’s voice comes over the wrist radio. “Can you see it clearly enough to see if it’s the Centipoid robot?” Somehow, this scanner makes it possible to see shapes through rock. I’m confused.

“Yes,” Ace affirms. “And I’m tracking it all the way back to its nest. I have a notion that this is the little devil who’s been causing all those earthquakes.”

Switch to a side shot of the Centipoid tunneling.

Control room of the Centipoid. A goon informs the Galactor Captain Cannon Fodder (okay, that’s not his real name) that “Radar indicates an unarmed light aircraft tracking the Centipoid with infrared.” Last I checked, infrared was filters, not beams. And the Galactor Captains mask does look like a cow’s skull.

Captain: “What?! Well, I’ve got a little surprise for it! Aim and fire an aerial missile right away!” Um, what other kind would you be using? You’re not in water…

Ace sees the missile emerge from the ground headed right for him. He dodges just in time.

Here comes another. And another.

“That Centipoid seems to be carrying a little bit of a sting!” Ace comments.

The fourth missile gets him. Hmmm… judging by shots of Ace working on his plane, I’d say that gash is about six to eight inches long. At least. And not only is the plane nearly out of control, but the detection system is off-line, so Ace can’t even see where the enemy’s coming from. “Emergency, Doctor!”

Switch to Dr. Brighthead. “What is it!?”

Back to Ace. “The Centipoid is surfacing and I barely got control of the plane!” I don’t expect good grammar in an emergency. Dramatic shot of the Centipoid, too.

Man that bug is huge! Who’s got the tanker full of bug spray!?

The bug tries to zap the G-1 with its lasers.

Ace calls, “G-Force Transform!”

“All right, Centipoid, prepare to meet your match!” Isn’t it going to be another sixty episodes or so until they get weapons on their vehicles?

Triumphant music!

Some really fancy flying, then Ace heads into a dive and pulls up at the last minute. “Okay, kid, now let’s see how you like a crash landing!” But the Centipoid just goes into tunneling mode and escapes.

G-1 reports in. “Dr. Brighthead, I’m sorry. The monster escaped underground.” But it hasn’t escaped for long.

Commercial break!

The scene opens to a picture of the scan of the Centipoid’s movements taken earlier. Dr. Brighthead and Ace are examining them. “You’ve brought back some important pictures of the Centipoid monster and we’d better examine them minutely. My theory is that Galactor is using this monster to bring all Earth’s energy under his control.” I don’t know about the “all Earth’s energy” bit, but if you cut off an enemy’s fuel and power supply, it can really mess them up. Galactor has a decent strategy here. Even if he’s using a odd method to accomplish it.

Ace (angrily): “And I let him escape!”

Dr. Brighthead: “We can arrange another chance.” He turns off the projector.

Ace: “I’ll get the lights.”

Brighthead: “Thanks.”

“What’s our plan of attack, Dr.?”

Dr. Brighthead points to an X on a map. “The Centipoid disappeared here, right?”

“Yes?”

“Now it’s reasonable to assume that Galactor’s monster will be heading for the nearest possible underground mineral beds.”

“Hey, that reminds me of something!” Ace points to another spot on the map. “The Mineral and Geological Research Station is only fifty miles from where the Centipoid went underground.” He traces his finger over the map.

“Good thinking! There’s a priceless collection of gems and other rare minerals stored in the underground vaults of that building and we have to protect them!” Turning to Ace, Dr. Brighthead says, “I’ll call the UN immediately and get armored tanks into battle formation. You get the G-Force team together and rendezvous at 1600 hours.”

Ace cracks his knuckles. “This time the Centipoid isn’t going to get away from me.”

Brighthead has something else to say. “One more thing, Ace. I know you’ve been taking care of Dr. Johnson’s daughter, but under no circumstance is she to know that you belong to G-Force. Remember, G-Force is a secret organization.”

Cut to Ace flying his plane. He’s thinking of Dr. Brighthead’s words. Then Aggie contacts him.

Aggie (worried): “Ace, if we rendezvous, I’ll have to bring Tanya. She’s too young to be here all by herself, but if she comes with me, we’ll break our veil of secrecy. It’s up to you, Ace. What do we do?” Knowing Aggie, this call would come after failing to find a trustworthy last-minute babysitter.

Ace wrestles with himself for a moment. “All right. Bring her along. It’s my decision.” His eyes narrow.

“G-Force Transform!”

Cut to a really big building. The camera moves to show tanks lined up outside.

Cue one Very Hungry Caterpillar. (As Ayako called the Centipoid in her Production Diaries.) As per its contract, it starts making scrap of the tanks. Then it breaks apart into lots of segments. That take out more tanks. Some of the segments start to melt the chain link fence. Not as quickly as all that, though. Maybe the relatively light construction of the fence aids greater heat dispersal, so that the laser can’t mow down too large a section at once.

The fighter planes are called in. And added to the Centipoid’s scoreboard.

Then the goons aboard the Centipoid head notice the G-1 approaching. Which Galactor points out to them from his telescreen (where he is very badly drawn). “How could you idiots have let them hunt us down again?” Maybe G-Force finding you has something to do with your choice of targets?

The Captain and goons apologize. Galactor orders G-Force shot out of the sky. The Cowskull Captain assures Galactor that the Phoenix is no match for Galactor’s Centipoid.

Galactor: “If you fail on this mission, your punishment will be severe!” Purple Villain does have a gift for understatement.

The Cowskull Captain says he understands. He orders the attack, which begins with the mecha reassembling itself.

Ace: “This time you won’t escape, Galactor.” Galactor’s not even there, fella. G-1 plays ‘duck and dodge’ with the Centipoid’s lasers until the Phoenix shows up.

“G-1 docking in main port of Phoenix.” And Cowskull Captain lets him do this. Idiot doesn’t attack while the Phoenix is relatively vulnerable!

Ace comes onto the bridge of the Phoenix. Gently: “Hello, Tanya. Remember me?” And while you’re at it, an apology for the fist to the gut would be good.

Tanya: “Oh! Why didn’t you tell me you were G-Force? I wouldn’t have attacked you.”

Ace (sternly): “You must never tell anyone about our team’s identities.” He turns Tanya to the big viewscreen. “Now take a good look. That Centipoid caused last week’s earthquake.”

Tanya has tears in her voice. “Then Galactor was behind the earthquake after all.” She (tries to) cover her face with her hands. “Oh poor father!” She begins to cry.

Ace: “All right, everybody, we have a job to do!”

Triumphant trumpets!

Hootie’s turn to duck and dodge lasers. He smashes through the Centipoid, but it puts itself back together.

In the Phoenix: “The early bird catches the worm,” Hootie says. (Where’d that come from?)

Ace orders: “Then let’s go!”

They try to smash the Centipoid again. It doesn’t work any better this time.

Hootie: “That’s the first worm I’ve ever seen build itself back up again!”

Pewee’s not happy. “Now I’m mad!”

Dirk: “They only way we’ll escape in one piece is if we fire the Bird Missile.” Surprise. But this time he has a point.

Pewee: “No!”

“I’ll do it.” Dirk actually lifts the glass cover entirely off the panel with the Big Red Button. (A loose glass panel in a warship? Whose idea was that?)

Pewee grabs onto Dirk. “It’s against regulations!”

Aggie: “Ace, he’s going to fire it!” The background indicates she’s seated on the right of the ship’s bridge, in the third forward-facing chair.

Now, Ace is standing to Dirk’s left. But behind G-2’s left shoulder, there is a shape that looks very very much like G-1’s helmet!

No new posts 13-06-2010 06:04 condorcandi is offline Search for Posts by condorcandi Add condorcandi to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Back to the show…

Ace starts struggling with Dirk as well. “Dirk, don’t do it!”

Pewee: “Don’t. Get away!”

And I have to give the Owl major credit for flying so well with all this going on right next to his ear.

As the Phoenix dodges, G-1, 2, and 4 hit the floor. As they struggle back up, Ace manages to get ahold of Dirk.

“Are you pulling rank on me, Ace?!” Dirk demands.

“No, I’m not! But I won’t let you let you fire that rocket!” He turns. “Tanya, you do it!”

And my son is spazzing out at this turn of events. This isn’t one of my favorite eps, (low Condor time, and the ‘permission to fire missiles is stupid), so I haven’t watched in a while. So parts of it are 'new' to my kids.

Dirk: “What?”

Pewee and Aggie gasp.

Dirk: “But Ace, she’s a little girl!”

Ace ignores him and contacts Brighthead. “This is the Phoenix calling. Dr. Brighthead, are you there?”

Brighthead: “Yes I am. What’s the problem, Ace?”

Ace uses his authoritative deep voice: “We have no choice, sir. We’re firing the Bird Missile.” If it weren’t for wanting Tanya to fire it, I’d call this a good field decision.

Dr. Brighthead spazzes: “Don’t do it, Ace. The Bird Missile is only to be uses for emergency defensive purposes.” (What does he think this is, Mardi Gras?) “Besides, we can’t let Galactor know we have it! As Agent 1 on the team, you ought to know better than that. I won’t allow you to impetuously break regulations. Now I insist that you obey!”

One: He sounds like an unreasonable parent. Two: I don’t see anything ‘impetuous’ about Ace’s decision. Three: If they aren’t going to use the missile, WHAT’S THE POINT OF HAVING IT!?!?! Livid2 Wallbash

Ace cuts off transmission.

Hootie: You heard what the man said, Ace.

“Mm-hmm.”

Aggie: “Oh, Ace, you’re not going to disobey a direct command?” Considering Ace’s personality is more like Ken’s then Mark’s, I’d say… yes.

Ace reaches gently for Tanya and puts his hands on her shoulders. “We have to do what we have to do.” He points to the Big Red Button (BRB). “You can avenge the death of your father by pressing that red button.”

Tanya gasps. “But I’m scared, Ace.”

Dirk is NOT looking happy about this. There’s also some serious concern in there, too.

“Don’t be scared,” Ace tells Tanya.

But Tanya is trembling.

She reaches for the BRB, then stops. “I-I don’t know.”

Ace: “Fire it, Tanya.”

Tanya shivers and gasps.

The Phoenix is getting closer and closer to the Centipoid. The mecha fires at the Phoenix, but the warship dodges.

On the Phoenix’s bridge, Tanya and Ace have moved back from the BRB. (Hootie and Pewee are in the front seats.)

Ace: “Push the button and avenge your father, Tanya! You’ve been waiting for this!”

Tanya: “But I don’t want to hurt anyone!” Ace, just leave her alone and let Dirk do it!

The Phoenix approaches the Centipoid again.

Bridge of Centipoid:

Captain Cowskull gloats, “We’ll let them get all the way in, and then we’ll hit them with the laser.” Looking at the Phoenix on the viewscreen, he snarls, “Just a little closer…”

Bridge of Phoenix:

Hootie announces: “In range at a 1000 meters.”

So intense his cowl has turned white, Ace asks Tanya, “Tanya, how did you feel after the earthquake? Do you remember how you felt when you attacked me?”

Tanya’s scared and unsure.

“C’mon Tanya, we’re depending on you!” Oh, just load that on a little girl, why don’t you?

Tanya looks down.

“Don’t be a coward!”

Ace slaps Tanya. What a minute… they left that in!? They took out the time Ken and Joe hit Jun! And I hope Dirk or Aggie decks Ace for this later. Elfmad

The Phoenix is getting really close to the bug…

The look on Dirk’s face say that if that missile doesn’t get fired soon, he’s going to do it!

Getting closer…

Pewee’s trying to cover his eyes through his visor.

And closer…

Ace gasps and drags Tanya by her wrist to the BRB. “C’mon, Tanya, now! Push the button!”

And closer…

G-1 holds Tanya’s hand over the BRB and ‘helps’ her push it. The missile launches.

Captain Cowskull: “Laser ready…”

And the missile hits! Bye-bye, Centipoid!

Aagh! Cardboard box backbeat!

Back on the bridge of the Phoenix, everyone’s relieved. Pewee’s cheering, “All right! We did it! We did it! We did it!”

Tanya collapses.

Ace: “Uh oh!” (You’d better be concerned!) He catches her. “It’s all right, Tanya,” Ace says gently. “Try to smile.”

Somehow, she does.

“There now. It’s all over and the Centipoid is gone.” He wipes her tears with his glove.

“Can I be your girlfriend when I grow up?” Doh2

Well, sure.” Ace then bows his head. He knows he’s in big trouble. How many regulations and orders did he smash?

Aaaaannnndddd commercial break!

Sad music is playing. Tanya is putting flowers on her father’s grave as Ace stands behind her.

Ace starts to walk away.

“Ace.” It’s Brighthead. “I’d like to have a word with you.”

G-1 bows his head. “I know that you’ve come here to strip me of my command, Dr. Brighthead, and I can’t say that I blame you. But I also don’t regret any of the decisions I made. I had to tell Tanya about our team so that she could avenge her father, and I trusted her not to tell. And I disobey your command not to use the Bird Missile, although I still maintain that it was in the best interests of my fellow crewmembers for me to do so.” He removes his wristband and lays it on the ground. “Here is my transformer, Dr. Brighthead. I resign.” Yes, Ace can angst with the best of the Eagles.

Tanya gasps.

“Goodbye.”

Aggie speaks up. “Stop being so bull-headed, Ace. That’s not what he came here to tell you.”

Music changes to something more upbeat.

“As commander of the G-Force team, it’s your job to make tough decisions, Ace.” Brighthead actually sounds proud of Ace. “And besides, we need you to fight against Galactor. You’re the right arm and the life-blood of the G-Force team.” (Yes, I think it’s a little corny.)

“Huh!?” Ace is stunned.

“I hope you’ll reconsider your resignation.”

Ace turns around, and Dr. Brighthead is smiling at him. “Really, Dr.? Can I take it –back!?”

Dr. Brighthead nods. “There’s nobody quite like you, Ace Goodheart.”

Ace, you ought to be glad you’re so darn irreplaceable, though I suspect it’s just as much because the training and resources that have been sunk into you as anything!

Tanya smiles. She picks up the wristband and holds it out to him. “Here’s your transformer, Ace. I sure don’t know how to use it. And I promise not to tell your secret to anybody ever!”

“Thank you, Tanya.” Ace takes his wristband and replaces it. The team gathers around him.

Aggie: “You’re so silly, Ace.”

Pewee: “We wouldn’t let you go.”

Dirk: “Never!”

Aggie calls, “Hey let’s go!”

Pewee adds, “Hurry up, Ace!” The four run off.

“Hey you guys, wait up!” Ace hustles to catch up. “Come on, wait for me!”

And they all run off into the sunset.

I think that this ep is the first time they show Dirk in civvies. Possibly Aggie, Pewee, and Hootie, too. I’ll have to check, but I also think it’s the first ep a Bird Missile is fired. And I’m think Brighthead better enjoy getting out while he can. He’s going to be on Galactor’s ‘Most Wanted’ hit list soon enough.

I’m hoping Brighthead has a nice, Institute of Science Security-screened foster home waiting for Tanya. And counseling.

Awww, Brighthead gets stuck finding homes for all sorts of orphans: human, seals, whales, puppies… yes, that ep made it into GoS. Elfrolleyes1 Elftongue2

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by condorcandi on 13-06-2010 at 06:33.
No new posts 13-06-2010 06:29 condorcandi is offline Search for Posts by condorcandi Add condorcandi to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): « previous  1  [2] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: