Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »The Debating Room » Maybe the rock music interrogations weren't so funny after all
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Maybe the rock music interrogations weren't so funny after all
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer
Maybe the rock music interrogations weren't so funny after all Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Psychological torture to be put to trial

I recall that when the interrogation techniques at Guantanamo etc were first being discussed, the whole "playing loud rock music to make them talk" thing was treated very much as a joke. Of course, anyone who's lived next to a bunch of noisy gits who play loud music into the early hours would acknowledge that there's a certain extra level of lifestyle stress that comes with it. I don't recall the whole sensory deprivation thing getting discussed though.

I think if the prisoner in question does turn out to have been driven insane by his prison treatment, it's going to lead to all kinds of extra tension between the middle east and the west. After all, it's the west who're supposed not to resort to this sort of thing.

A quick link to information on the MK_ULTRA programme. I've read some stuff on this before, including that they managed to produce a complete split personality in one woman allowing her to work as a spy - the manufactured personality could be called up at will and the original personality had no memories or awareness of what the manufactured personality had done. I do wish I could remember her name because in my quick skim of this article, I didn't notice her mentioned.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by meridianday on 23-02-2007 at 12:53.
No new posts 23-02-2007 12:53 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Didn't they do that kind of spy thing in a film. Can't remember the name of the film, but the main charactor wanted to be a spy for a company to spy on other companies and at the end of the film, we find out that he was brainwashed to spy on the company that hired him in the first place, so they didn't know that he was a spy for another company.

No new posts 24-02-2007 10:15 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Well its pretty hard to imagine that this could be done successfully and if it has been then, wow 007

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 25-02-2007 23:06 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Was the Manchurian Candidate about this sort of mind control thing too? Haven't seen it, but wasn't the guy supposed to go into "kill" mode on hearing a set word or phrase?

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 26-02-2007 09:04 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer

Was a book by "the female Robert Ludlum" that had something like that; didn't think it was that great. And the movie with Schwarz... Total Recall? Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory? as well.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 26-02-2007 17:59 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by meridianday
Was the Manchurian Candidate about this sort of mind control thing too? Haven't seen it, but wasn't the guy supposed to go into "kill" mode on hearing a set word or phrase?

I haven't seen either the orignal and the remake by yeah, I think that's right, either a word, or a phrase or somehting like that would make the guy go and kill whoever.

No new posts 26-02-2007 19:02 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by CricketBeautiful
Was a book by "the female Robert Ludlum" that had something like that; didn't think it was that great. And the movie with Schwarz... Total Recall? Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory? as well.

Total Recall was a similar movie to the film that I was think of where Arnie's charactor found out that he was brainwashed or something like that to be a fictional person, so he could infiltate the rebels and after killing them off get the "orignal person" back.

No new posts 26-02-2007 19:05 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Maybe they should just put them into Big Brother or forced 5o watch it 24 hours? Scary Hiding 2

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Metaliant on 26-02-2007 at 19:09.
No new posts 26-02-2007 19:06 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 17-07-2001

spacer

LOL!

I dont know but this all sounds sooo Zoolander to me!

No new posts 08-04-2007 14:24 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

IMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Umbrella Guitar Hug

No new posts 08-04-2007 23:55 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Ruthie
Former Lurker

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2006

spacer

Gee! Look what's happening to the poor darlings who are trying to kill us. What a world.

No new posts 09-04-2007 00:04 Ruthie is offline Send an Email to Ruthie Search for Posts by Ruthie Add Ruthie to your Buddy List
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

If all the people in Guantanamo were definitely guilty, I probably wouldn't argue with you.

However, what about the poor darlings there who were just in the wrong place at the wrong time and not actually trying to kill anyone? Is it ok to drive them insane?

Also, do you believe that the people in the middle east reading that this is happening, are more or less likely to want to kill westerners as a result of this treatment? Do you think it's reducing the risk of terrorism? Do you think they scraped up every person related to terrorism and put them into Guantanamo? Or do you think there are still people at liberty over there who're going to use this information to help to inflame a whole new bunch of terrorrists?

I don't see the treatment of palestinians by israelis reducing the number of suidide bombers, do you?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by meridianday on 09-04-2007 at 10:44.
No new posts 09-04-2007 09:00 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

With the innocents were snatched by the US, doesn't that remind you what Iran did with those 15 Biritish marines.

No new posts 09-04-2007 11:37 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

Yes it does...Makes me wonder what the world is coming too!

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 09-04-2007 13:40 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I have a feeling that the 21st Century will turn out the same as the last one but even more worse by the past 7 years.

No new posts 11-04-2007 18:21 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Many more over-weight kids. More people who won't venture out of their homes for fear, or because they think they've got all they need inside their own for walls.

Can I sue the city and schoolboard for removing now-declared-unsafe jungle gyms and swings? Just finished paying for 12 weeks of sensory integration for my son: playgrounds and swings and obstacle courses. Huge improvement in gross motor skills, including motor planning and complex moves.

If having that play makes such a difference, what about not having it?

You know the game "grounder"? You move around the jungle gym without touching the ground. That sort of movement is a huge part of it.

So's swinging the "wrong" way; lots of wrong ways, with targets and dodging.

Add the social aspect of it, goal-setting, challenges, practice, solo-play. Chasing a ball around a field can get awfully boring by comparison, especially if that's all you have.

So how many "average" kids could be "better-than-average"? How many "borderline" kids could be "average"? All for the cost of getting rid of the lawyers and lawsuits.

My son is borderline. Great personality, very intelligent, so the teachers are more likely to adapt to his lack of concentration rather than get mad at him. But the rest?

Then again, suing them would be denying that, ultimately, I'm the one who is responsible for getting him what he needs. I have the resources and ability; I won't take up the public funding that is already over-stretched. I will help create a demand for the therapists and training and studies to prove this sort of thing helps. (If we left it to the government, they'd fund one study by a non-believer, and no one would hear about it.)

Videogames and internet are replacing real-world contacts. Kids are taught not to say "hi" to strangers. Neighbors who could help "keep their noses out of it".

Not good.

That's why I get out and tell stories and to go to storyteller groups. Stay an hour after school with the other kids (and moms). Walk to school. Chat while waiting in line. Tell the kid in the playground that what he's doing is not acceptable (and why), and make sure he sees my appreciation when he does good.

I believe in the starfish principle. And the more who do, the better our chances.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 12-04-2007 15:33 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

In Britian, there's hardly any sports fields, sports aren't encouraged because they are afraid that t will teach kids how to be competitive, kids stay inside to play their PCs, PS2, PS3s, XBoxs, Xbox 360s, Wiis, etc or just wander around towns and cities wearing hoodles either making trouble or just doing nothing.

It was different when I was a kid, we played in the cd de sac where I lived and played sports at least twice a week at school and I even jogged home from school (not to keep fit but just to watch telly but heck it made me fit).

Surely we need playgrounds and sports to not only keep our kids bodies healthy but also their minds as well.

No new posts 13-04-2007 07:17 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

And what's wrong with competition? It's part of life. Failure and pre-competition nerves are things that you need to learn to deal with. As are respect for the other team and the ability to decide you're playing for fun.

Competition can also be a tool to get them to work harder, if used right. Helping my team beat that team is incentive to practice and work together. Learn that, hey, practice helps! Fitness. Social.

If the kid doesn't enjoy it, that's a different story. Or if the competition becomes more important than the game, to the kids or the mentors.

But not using a tool just because it might have a downside? Here, let me dull your chainsaw and chisel. And your sewing needle.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 13-04-2007 14:57 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I quite agree with you Cricked but that's politicians for yer. Also activitis like playing and sports will help to keep people not only fit and healthy but will keep obesity down.

No new posts 14-04-2007 08:02 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer

Yep the biggest killer in GB these days is obesity. However what do politicians expect since they cut back on school dinners, cut back on parks and recreational areas, cut back on sports in schools.

Ah well such is life.

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 14-04-2007 10:41 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: