Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Winter Storm Names 2015
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Winter Storm Names 2015
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Winter Storm Names 2015 Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

For the past few days I couldn't shake the feeling that I was forgetting something. Then, as I heard a couple of residents here at Hillcrest Village talk about the upcoming winter, it dawned on me -- I haven't looked at the Weather Channel's latest Winter Storm Names!

The Weather Channel has also included the definitions for each name, but I didn't include most of those...(but I did stick in a few comments!)

The List

Ajax -- isn't there a bathroom cleaner by that name?
Bella
Cara
Delphi
Echo
Ferus
Goliath -- how much do you wanna bet this will be the weakest storm?
Hera
Ilias
Jonas
Kayla
Lexi
Mars
Nacio -- short for Ignacio
Olympia
Petros
Quo
Regis
Selene
Troy
Ursula -- Can't she be satisfied with being the villian in "The Little Mermaid"?
Vexo -- Latin for "I annoy" or "I harass"
Waylon -- Smithers has a dark side!
Xenos
Yolo -- As in YOLO, the annoying abbreviaion for You Only Live Once that annoying idiots yell before doing something dangerous
Zandor

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ElectricWhite on 05-11-2015 at 08:07.
No new posts 05-11-2015 08:06 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
msannomalley msannomalley is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-05-2014

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Most of my fellow northern climate dwellers usually make fun of these snowstorm names because we think its stupid to name them in the first place.

No new posts 05-11-2015 13:40 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Naming storms can backfire, too. With hurricanes, they find that if they use a female name, people underestimate the warnings and get hurt or killed.

No new posts 05-11-2015 20:50 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I can understand naming hurricanes because hurricanes don't happen that often and they're particularly brutal. But the criteria they use to determine if its a snowstorm, well, that happens most of the time in the winter. Maybe it's because I live on the Great Plains and I'm used to blizzards and stuff, but it seems like a bunch of hype about something that isn't that bad.

Snowstorm Yolo? Oh, I hope they don't get that far down the alphabet.

No new posts 05-11-2015 22:03 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

That is a bit odd. We don't tend toward snowstorms so much where I am so I hadn't even noticed they were naming them.

No new posts 05-11-2015 23:26 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

The reason hurricanes (typhoons, cyclones, etc.) are named is that it's easier and quicker for different weather services to communicate the location of the storm. At one time, a weather service would "name" a storm using its latitude and longitude that they first saw it; often the same storm would get several names and would cause confusion. (Plus it would be really hard for ordinary folk to grasp the seriousness of the situation -- naming a hurricane makes it an advisary.)

Now, the whole idea of naming winter storms is strictly a Weather Channel ploy to sound like the ultimate weather authority and, hopefully, get more viewers. (Part of me is surprised that this thing has lasted so long.)

No new posts 06-11-2015 01:32 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

It's stupid. All I care about is will it hit my area and with how many inches.

No new posts 06-11-2015 02:32 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I'm just glad we don't have to worry about named storms where we live.

One day, we'll have an earthquake, and then you guys can point fingers at us. Wink

No new posts 06-11-2015 16:48 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
That is a bit odd. We don't tend toward snowstorms so much where I am so I hadn't even noticed they were naming them.

This was something the Weather Channel took upon themselves to do for winter storms. My guess is for hype and ratings. My local TV stations do a better job of warning me about bad weather without actually naming them.

No new posts 06-11-2015 16:52 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
One day, we'll have an earthquake, and then you guys can point fingers at us. Wink

What, you think we aren't pointing fingers at you already? 	Frog

No new posts 07-11-2015 04:13 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by ElectricWhite
quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun

What, you think we aren't pointing fingers at you already? 	Frog

Watch out. Some famous scientist claims there will be a major quake in California in the next 3 years.

No new posts 11-11-2015 01:38 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

They're always claiming a major quake is coming. Tongue

No new posts 11-11-2015 03:46 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I like to check a site that keeps track of earthquakes. In 2007, we visited Yellowstone. About a month later, they started having swarms of earthquakes at 3 or lower. It lasted for several months. Couldn't help but think about the fact its a giant caldera letting off steam.

Right now the hotspot for earthquakes in the US is Oklahoma. They're blaming fracking and drilling for natural gas.

No new posts 11-11-2015 21:17 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

Is it just me or do the names all look like they are from Inquisitors in Warhammer 40K?

All that faux greek and neolatin?

No new posts 11-11-2015 21:27 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Becky: Yes, swarms of small quakes are definitely preferable to big ones. Unfortunately, a number of studies have shown that fracking leads to more quakes.

No new posts 11-11-2015 21:44 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: