Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Just in time...
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Just in time...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Just in time... Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Just in time for Halloween....a real-life story that will give you the heebie-jeebies!

WARNING: Daniella, DO NOT read this! This would surely get you hospitalized!

Imagine a spider as big as a child's forearm that weighs as much as a puppy. That's how huge the South American Goliath birdeater — arguably the world's largest spider — can be. Entomologist and photographer Piotr Naskrecki encountered one while he was on a nighttime stroll in the rainforest of Guyana, and at first he thought it was a small, hairy mammal. Here's a brief look at the fearsome eight-legged beast — arachnophobes beware!

The South American Goliath birdeater (Theraphosa blondi) is the world's largest spider, according to Guinness World Records. Its legs can reach up to one foot (30 centimeters) and it can weight up to 6 oz. (170 grams).

The spider has three lines of defense. By rubbing its legs against its abdomen, it produces a cloud of tiny, barbed hairs that get in the eyes and mucous membranes and cause extreme pain and itching for days. It has two-inch-long fangs strong enough to pierce a mouse's skull. And it can make a hissing sound by rubbing its hairs together, which sounds like pulling Velcro apart.

Despite its name, the Goliath birdeater doesn't usually eat birds (although it's definitely capable of doing so.) Instead, it eats whatever it can find on the ground — usually earthworms, frogs, or other small invertebrates, injecting venom into its prey with its lengthy fangs. The spider does not pose much of a threat to humans, though a bite would be "like driving a nail through your hand," Naskrecki said.

The Goliath birdeater has plenty of ways to scare off potential predators, including a behavior called stridulation in which it rubs the bristles on its first two legs and pedipalps together to create a hissing sound. The spider can also strike a spooky pose by arching the first two pairs of its legs back and "hinging back the fangs," so it's in perfect bite mode, according to the Natural History Museum. If that weren't enough, the Goliath can flick barbed hairs from its abdomen at potential enemies — the hairs can irritate the skin of such foes.

Here, a close-up look at a Goliath birdeater tarantula. The beast can grow as long as a child's forearm and weigh more than 6 oz. (170 grams), according to Naskrecki.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ElectricWhite on 22-10-2014 at 00:39.
No new posts 21-10-2014 14:08 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Yeah I saw this on FB, yet ... at least it's not one of those hunter spiders that leaps!

No new posts 21-10-2014 19:46 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Chris -- Really? You don't step on this spider, it steps on you !

No new posts 21-10-2014 20:51 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer

I saw this the other day too...*shudders*

Hell, you don't spray that thing with Raid, you beat it to death with the can! Spider

No new posts 21-10-2014 21:54 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I saw them, too. Actually, I think they're rather fascinating, but from behind a wall of glass.

What if Galactor dropped a few thousand of them on some poor town?

No new posts 21-10-2014 23:31 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

Spiders don't usually bother me, but I think I'd be wary of one that size....

No new posts 21-10-2014 23:40 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Reminds me of Aragog in Harry Potter! Yaright2

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 21-10-2014 23:49 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: