Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Introductions » Hello from Condor Joe!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous  1  [2]  3  4  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Hello from Condor Joe!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I agree, I always pictured voiceover actors working together in the same studios and feeding off of each other, and was surprised to learn than in many cases this wasn't how it was done: that everyone was in their own separate studio recording solo. It certainly must make it more difficult to act out the part, particularly if your'e not familiar with the property!

Brian, I would also like to hear how you got into voice acting.

No new posts 22-02-2014 15:42 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-10-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Welcome, Brian! I am another Condor fan, although I prefer BotP over Gatchaman. I enjoy writing BotP fanfic and reading both BotP & Gatch fanfic. Springie - who is a great artist BTW - was kind enough to illustrate a couple of my scenes for me, which is how I got my avatar. Smile You should join us for some Bradbury's Jar prompts!

No new posts 22-02-2014 21:29 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

Oh my! Hi Brian, it's soooooo good to have you here!

Enjoy the site!

P.S. I had to edit the post because I had written "hear" instead of "here" -- goes to show how excited I was!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Daniella T on 22-02-2014 at 21:37.
No new posts 22-02-2014 21:37 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer

Dog
LW fans hers face vigorously,
"Is it hot in here?"

Giday Mate, big welcome from Australia.

SIZE=1]All I need is a dose of Owl to go with my Condor and my fantasy will be complete.[/SIZE]

No new posts 23-02-2014 11:13 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Thanks for the sweet compliment, Jublke! Blushing

Brian, I'd love to know what your favorite episode is...and maybe your favorite line? My personal fav of yours is, "Let's shoot ' em a few birds..."
And of course, every time you mention the " super BMs"...how in the world did you keep a straight face with that? Rofl

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 23-02-2014 16:18 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

That's where I think having all of the voice actors together as they tape would really be fun. The outtakes would probably be very amusing. I could see Brian saying 'Let's hit them with the Super BMs' and everyone else chorusing, 'Again? Joe!!!!'

Brian, have you been keeping up with the new live action Gatchaman movie? If so, what's your opinion about the changes they made to the story?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Becky Rock on 23-02-2014 at 19:32.
No new posts 23-02-2014 19:30 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

With all of this 'super BM' talk, I think it's time to pull out this old chestnut...

No new posts 23-02-2014 21:51 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

Perfect! That's a classic, TJ! Wink

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 23-02-2014 22:02 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

*groan* Nono2

No new posts 23-02-2014 22:17 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I was trying to forget that one!

No new posts 24-02-2014 01:52 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Mad Katharine Mad Katharine is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-04-2010

spacer

(sorry, couldn't resist)

No new posts 24-02-2014 04:20 Mad Katharine is offline Send an Email to Mad Katharine Search for Posts by Mad Katharine Add Mad Katharine to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

Welcome Brain... your voice certainly is the right one for Condor Joe... thanks for making his character come to life in the Gatchaman series. Having always loved BOTP, I wasn't sure if Gatchaman would live up to my thoughts and story lines in my head. With your help, I was proven wrong. Bounce2 Roll

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 24-02-2014 12:02 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
BrianJepson BrianJepson is a Male
Former Lurker

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-02-2014

spacer

quote:
I hope you don't mind my asking, but does recording separately from the rest of the cast create an extra challenge as far as timing a scene or getting its emotion down the way you want? I don't know much about the recording or editing process at all, but I'd imagine that it's easier, and certainly more fun, to be in the same studio as the other actors.

For recording Animé, the voice actors are never in the same room at the same time since The animation has already been done. Really, the only time that actors are all in the room together is before any animation has been done so that they can match up the mouths to how the actors performed. Since we have to match the "mouth flaps" in the existing animation, we need to focus on only one character at a time and one voice actor at a time. The hard part about dubbing Japanese Animé is seeing the script for the first time pretty much the instant that you are going to record it. We don't get to study the lines beforehand. You are sitting there staring at two screens, one with the script and one with the cartoon. Getting the emotions right and understanding what's going on in the scene at a moment's notice is probably the most challenging part. Really, it's kind of fun to see if you can match up the "mouth flaps" on your first readthrough. It's almost like a little game.

quote:
(If I may ask, how did you get started in voice-over acting? Was it something you purposefully set out to do, or did you start off doing something else at first, which then led you to where you are now?)

All my life I have recorded myself doing silly voices or acting out skits and things like that. Eventually people started asking me if I was in radio and that they thought that I had a good voice. I never considered going into radio, but I eventually took a one night class to learn how to get into the voice acting industry. After that class there was a more in-depth class where you actually practiced real-world scenarios in an actual recording studio with just a few other students. At the end of that class the teacher, who is a professional voice actor herself, told each of us whether we were ready to move onto the next step or not. The next step was to put together a voice demo and then shop around to find an agent. I put together the demo and found an agent to represent me and then I started going on auditions. I started getting jobs and eventually got some Animé jobs that led to knowing producers at ADV. Once producers and directors know you know what you're capable of they like to keep using you, and that's how Charlie Campbell had me come in to audition with the idea that he wanted me to play Joe. I don't know if you have watched the DVD extras of the actual auditions for all of the Gatchaman characters. You can see how other people did in their auditions and then the last people they show are the ones that actually got the jobs, including me.

quote:
Giday Mate, big welcome from Australia.

Thanks, LW! I've never been to Australia, but I've heard some Aussies say that Austin, where I live, reminds them of how Australia looks.

quote:
Brian, I'd love to know what your favorite episode is...and maybe your favorite line? My personal fav of yours is, "Let's shoot ' em a few birds..."
And of course, every time you mention the " super BMs"...how in the world did you keep a straight face with that?

I really couldn't say what my favorite episode is because there are so many of them. My favorite lines were always ones that we were able to have fun with in the moment while recording them. A lot of the more silly ones like the "super BM" line were made up to make ourselves laugh. They weren't necessarily in the script as we were recording them, but there was a lot of leeway to add or take away from dialogue. I only had to keep a straight face until they stopped recording, and then I would crack up after some of those lines.

quote:
Welcome Brian... your voice certainly is the right one for Condor Joe... thanks for making his character come to life in the Gatchaman series. Having always loved BOTP, I wasn't sure if Gatchaman would live up to my thoughts and story lines in my head. With your help, I was proven wrong.

Thank you very much! We record these things and they get released in a vacuum, with very little feedback as to how people have accepted or rejected them. It's always nice to hear that something I've worked hard on has been well received. I say 'work hard,' but it's not really hard work. I would drive down to Houston in the afternoon, record the two or three or four hour session, spend the night and then drive back to Austin the next morning. I spent the night with friends so I didn't have to get a hotel room or anything, and this went on for at least a year or so if memory serves. It got so that I really looked forward to my little jaunts down to my hometown for a night of recording and seeing my old friends.

No new posts 24-02-2014 17:33 BrianJepson is offline Send an Email to BrianJepson Search for Posts by BrianJepson Add BrianJepson to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

There were quite a few lines that I heard that I think I'd have a hard time getting through without laughing! I enjoyed the little BOTP tributes (at least they seemed like BOTP tributes) you all threw in, too- loved the 70s lingo! Wink Glad that you had fun with it!

Did you all (all of the actors) ever sit down and watch a finished episode or two together?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 24-02-2014 at 22:28.
No new posts 24-02-2014 22:26 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

Behind the scenes stuff is always so interesting. Smile One thing I've always wondered is how a voice actor makes sure that they use a consistent voice for a particular character. Do you have any particular tricks or techniques?

No new posts 24-02-2014 23:06 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Former Lurker

0 fics uploaded

spacer

The only time that the majority of the cast was together was on a couple of occasions when we screened a few episodes at the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin and then in Houston. We were also all together to film some DVD extras in an airplane hangar answering questions from viewers and fans online. You can see all of that on the extras for the DVD or the Blu-ray.

No new posts 24-02-2014 23:13 BrianJepson is offline Send an Email to BrianJepson Search for Posts by BrianJepson Add BrianJepson to your Buddy List
Former Lurker

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Luckily, for Joe, it's just my normal voice. For other characters I've done, I either remember how I did it, or the director will play back some previous recordings of the character to refresh my memory.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by BrianJepson on 24-02-2014 at 23:16.
No new posts 24-02-2014 23:15 BrianJepson is offline Send an Email to BrianJepson Search for Posts by BrianJepson Add BrianJepson to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by BrianJepsonAll my life I have recorded myself doing silly voices or acting out skits and things like that. Eventually people started asking me if I was in radio and that they thought that I had a good voice. I never considered going into radio, but I eventually took a one night class to learn how to get into the voice acting industry. After that class there was a more in-depth class where you actually practiced real-world scenarios in an actual recording studio with just a few other students. At the end of that class the teacher, who is a professional voice actor herself, told each of us whether we were ready to move onto the next step or not. The next step was to put together a voice demo and then shop around to find an agent. I put together the demo and found an agent to represent me and then I started going on auditions. I started getting jobs and eventually got some Animé jobs that led to knowing producers at ADV. Once producers and directors know you know what you're capable of they like to keep using you, and that's how Charlie Campbell had me come in to audition with the idea that he wanted me to play Joe. I don't know if you have watched the DVD extras of the actual auditions for all of the Gatchaman characters. You can see how other people did in their auditions and then the last people they show are the ones that actually got the jobs, including me.

Thank you so much for the in-depth description! The whole process sounds intense and interesting! And from what you said above, it seems the voice acting was a perfect fit for you. Due to plain old life interfering, I've not seen many of the extras on the new Blu-ray discs--but I'll make it a point to check out the auditions. Smile

I see from your profile listing you're a Beatle fan! I enjoy them as well--especially their early stuff, but it's all good really. And you were a graphic designer at one point? I do believe we have quite a few of those here on the board. Smile

Springie: I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who got a kick out of the 70's slang that was used on the show. Ken was a fan of saying "Groovy" and Joe calling women "Mama" always cracked me up and made me smile! Daisy1

No new posts 24-02-2014 23:43 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Yes, the 70s slang was great! And there were definitely BOTP references, the most obvious being the newly added lyrics to the Demon 5 song. Wink

I also love some of the goofy voices they gave to the Captains-of-the-Week. Like the guy with the fish head having the 'bubbly' voice... ROFL 2

Brian, after being so isolated when you recorded the show, I'm sure you must have had a blast watching it later! After you'd seen entire episodes, was there anything you wish you'd done differently? And how did your presentation of Joe change as the recordings went on?

Lastly, how many episodes would you complete in a 3-4 hour session?

No new posts 25-02-2014 00:59 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

The 70s slang almost killed me ... there was this part of me that was going "why, oh why?" and part of me was going "how perfect!" It also made me wonder what 70s Japanese slang was in there that I'd never have recognized. Smile

No new posts 25-02-2014 01:04 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  3  4  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (4): « previous  1  [2]  3  4  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: