Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Episode of the Week » Gatchaman Episode 98: “Grape Bomber, the Spherical Iron Beast”
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous  1  [2]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman Episode 98: “Grape Bomber, the Spherical Iron Beast”
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter

Gatch version: Joe doesn’t call for ambulances.

Yes, and they never use stretchers either -injured people just get picked up any which way. I guess this show isn't a good way to learn modern EMT techniques! I mean, the way they treat Joe in episode 20...

quote:
Originally posted by Becky Rock

That would have been such a cool idea. Definite fanfic fodder!

You're right, it would be a fun fanfic to do, and a "BOTP Koji" as an ex-G-Force member would have an extra element -past romantic involvement with Princess- that Don Wade lacks. How would Mark react to his return?

No new posts 20-10-2010 08:28 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter

Gatch version: Joe doesn’t call for ambulances.

Yes, and they never use stretchers either -injured people just get picked up any which way. I guess this show isn't a good way to learn modern EMT techniques! I mean, the way they treat Joe in episode 20...

iagree That's always one thing I notice! When watching this episode, I also remember telling myself, as if speaking to Joe, "Why not to the hospital!" when he told the lady, "I'll take you home, Ma'am!", especially after the woman had cried out with pain, and had fallen! Even if this wouldn't have been the best option, either ... in reality, better call for an ambulance, and try not to move the injured person, as much as possible, in case of spinal cord injuries, risks of internal hemorrhages, etc.

No new posts 20-10-2010 09:53 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Maybe in Japan, at this time, they didn't trust doctors? Wink

No new posts 20-10-2010 15:01 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
Maybe in Japan, at this time, they didn't trust doctors? Wink

At least not Western Medicine. We always hear about the differences between Western and Eastern Medicine ... at least I hear about it a lot, maybe because I am more aware of it.

No new posts 20-10-2010 17:00 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

It could also be that early '70s Japan was a time and a place where one didn't have to fear being sued so much and therefore people weren't conditioned to call in a brigade of paramedic professionals at any accident via 911 and more likely to just try to help the victims themselves (for better or worse)?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 20-10-2010 at 20:51.
No new posts 20-10-2010 20:51 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

that had been my other thought as well, LB.

No new posts 20-10-2010 22:28 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

Great recap LB! This was always one of my favorites, but again one that I never completely understood.

Although, I do agree with the later theories about why no ambulances. While I can't speak for the Japan, the US had no 911 system in the early seventies. Some communities, still had minimal ambulance service. It was not uncommon to see on TV shows of the time, people driving others or even themselves to the hospital for things that today we'd call an ambulance.

Also, ambulances are costly and not always covered by insurance. I remember a time in the early 80's while having an asthma attack at my grandmother's in Santa Cruz. I'm not sure why mother didn't drive (unless it had something to do with her not driving on the freeway very often), but instead of my mother driving or calling an ambulance, my aunt insisted on driving because of my father, my uncle, my grandmother, and her, she was the most sober. Yeah, this was before drunk driving laws, too.

One thing to keep in mind with viewing or reading things, we have a natural tendency to view from our current perspective or norms instead of looking at what was normal or acceptable at the time something was created. When we can do both, we can set up nice dichotomies.

No new posts 20-10-2010 23:25 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

When I was 19 I once fainted in the middle of a department store and fell flat on my face (I had given blood at the Red Cross an hour or so earlier). I don't remember it happening or anything else until I came to in an ambulance, with an IV in my arm, en route to the hospital. If you ask me, the department store people sure overreacted, but then, they had no way of knowing that there wasn't something seriously wrong with me. I sure felt like an idiot!

No new posts 21-10-2010 03:28 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Very interesting stories, LB and Amethyst! I know the feeling, that of feeling an idiot! When I went to Cambria (California), some ten years ago, I had developed a rather bad cold, with a very high fever. My DH (at that time my fiance) started panicking and called our hotel's reception to ask for a doctor. Instead, the receptionist called 911 and I was taken to a not-so-nearby hospital by ambulance! Yes, I was going to develop pneumonia, but all the hassle had been so exaggerated that I have felt like an idiot, too, not leaving out that I was going to lose the rest of my holiday plans! When the fever went down I've immediately signed to be discharged!

One thing I can say, though! If that same attention had been given to me when I have had that damn car accident, when I was fourteen, and if I had been immediately taken to hospital, instead of home, I wouldn't have had the problems I have today with my spinal injury! Nuff said!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by gatchamarie on 21-10-2010 at 10:18.
No new posts 21-10-2010 10:17 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I guess in the American litigious environment, they've learned that it's better to be safe than sorry!

No new posts 21-10-2010 13:07 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I would say it is, even though the idea of being picked up by Joe, taken home and given a back rub is very appealing! But in the end, Joe is no MD.

No new posts 21-10-2010 18:10 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
I guess in the American litigious environment, they've learned that it's better to be safe than sorry!

iagree And it really is better to be safe than sorry, in certain circumstances, as I have afterwards explained! Notwithstanding my feeling of uneasiness, at that time, I surely am grateful for all the attention I had been given! When we look back at the event, we laugh and consider it as one of our adventures abroad! LOL ... we used to watch many 911 cases on TV and I have ended up to be one of them!

No new posts 21-10-2010 18:52 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

I've actually had to call 911 more times than I'd have cared to. Once for my son when he was a toddler having a severe asthma attack; two or three times for my husband for anaphalactic shock; and more recently once for my mother. It is definitely something that you feel silly and wonder if you are over-reacting whenever you do it.

No new posts 22-10-2010 03:52 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): « previous  1  [2] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: