Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Episode of the Week » Gatchaman Episode 27 - Galactor's Witch Racer
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman Episode 27 - Galactor's Witch Racer
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Gatchaman Episode 27 - Galactor's Witch Racer Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Gatchaman Episode 27 - Galactor's Witch Racer

The ISO has received intelligence that a young woman named Lucy is willing to reveal the whereabouts of Galactor's headquarters for $10,000,000. Lucy is entered in an auto rally in Africa, so Dr. Nambu dispatches the Science Ninja Team immediately.

The God Phoenix flies into Africa.

I love the random pyramids just placed here! I guess this race starts in Egypt.

Next we get an interesting view of the God Phoenix's landing gear, as the team has a conference once they land.

Ken tells everyone that they only have five days to complete this mission. However, when he says 'everyone', he really means the Condor.

"It's all in your hands now, Joe." Ken says.

He orders Joe to enter the rally and obtain the secret information from Lucy.

Joe seems eager to take on this task.

Much to the surprise and confusion of everyone else.

Ryu's face is cracking me up here! It’s almost like Barney Gumbel… (the guy on the Simpsons, not the guy on the Flintstones)

Jinpei wants to know what the rest of them are going to do. Ken tells him that they're going to be guarding Joe from above in the God Phoenix. Jinpei is disappointed.

"Aw, man! That really bites!” he whines.

Seems Jinpei and Ryu both wanted to enter the rally too. I guess they had such a good time in the Luman Kingdom (Episode 19) when they were racing there. Of course, Ryu never got off the starting line that time...

"I want to ride in one of those cool racecars!" Ryu says.

I guess Ryu remembers the old junker he was stuck with in the Luman Kingdom.

A young woman steps into her racecar, inserts the key into the ignition and... checks her gun.

She's got very long eyes. They practically go off the side of her face!

"Lucy!" calls a familiar voice. The woman quickly puts the gun away. She checks her side mirror and...

Well, I'm enjoying the view. Wink

"Long time no see." Joe says casually. Seems Joe is a player in the racing world. He already knows Lucy!

"What's it been? About five years?" Lucy replies. Hmmm.... how old is Joe anyway? Was he racing at 13?

As she speaks, Lucy pushes the gun behind her a little more.

Joe seems suspicious.

"I guess so, but you haven't changed at all, have you?" he says smoothly. Of course, it may just be a line, or it might be foreshadowing...

But I'm getting ahead of myself.

"You think so? Well I was surprised to learn that you were working for the ISO." Lucy replies. Gee , got much of a cover there, Joe?

"Well I was surprised that you're working for Galactor." Joe counters.

"I'm not anymore, but I used to be one of their top executives." Lucy brags.

Joe points out that by entering a public rally, Galactor might find her.

Lucy says that she's not worried. She changed everything when she left Galactor: her face, her voice, even her gestures.

Wait a minute!!! If she's changed so much, how did Joe recognize her? And what about his statement that she hadn't changed in the past 5 years?

Hmmm....

And to add to the mystery, we suddenly cut to Sosai speaking with Katse.

"I must say, Katse, Lucy is one of Galactor's finest creations." X says.

"With Lucy as bait, I'll finally exterminate the Science Ninja Team!" Katse crows.

"How do you plan on killing them?" X wants to know.

The race is beginning. Joe is sitting in Lucy's passenger seat as she pulls up to the starting line.

"Okay, spill it, Lucy. Where's Galactor's Headquarters?"

I can tell that Joe was chosen for this mission because of his subtlety. Doh2

"You'll get that information once the rally is over." Lucy states firmly. Of course, she's probably trying to lure the Science Ninja Team into a trap, or maybe she just wants to keep Joe in her car a little longer. I know I would!

"The World Custom Car Endurance Rally of Africa will begin in a few minutes!" An announcer says. Hold on... if it's a 'world race', how can it also be the 'rally of Africa'? I'm confused...

The first car climbs the starting ramp. It's Joe and Lucy!

Joe tells Lucy that the ISO has guaranteed her personal safety. Lucy laughs at this.

"Let's just concentrate on the rally for now, Cowboy." she says.

"You got it, Mama!" Joe replies.

Wow, with hot lines like that, Joe must have women lined up outside of his trailer!

The race begins, and Lucy literally flies off the platform, ignoring the ramp and startling the onlookers.

And hey, there are some familiar faces among those startled onlookers!

But clearly Ken and Jun were doing more than just watching the start of the race, as Jun is wearing Ken's pants again...

Lucy's car speeds through the African Savannah. She must be going at Mach 3! There were pyramids and desert at the starting location, and she's already on open grasslands. Zebras and giraffes watcher her race by.

Lucy races so fast that she's kicking up lots of stones, startling the local wildlife.

Lucy is determined the win this race!

And now she's in the mountains, screeching around hairpin turns.... and then back to the savannah.

But she is shocked to see a herd of placid giraffes blocking her way!

She swerves to avoid them, but then, being an animal lover, she stops to make sure they're okay.

Too bad for her. The placid giraffes suddenly whirls around, losing their natural-looking skin, only to reveal...

Mecha giraffes!

It looks like Galactor was able to carry on Professor Henjinman's cyborg animal research, even after he died. (Episode 21)

The giraffes start shooting fire blasts from their 'horns'. However, they completely miss the car, only setting fire to the road behind the vehicle.

"It's got to be Galactor." Joe observes calmly.

"You drive!" Lucy orders, leaping out of her seat.

The car zooms off, and the giraffe's heads fall over, revealing rocket launchers in their necks. Joe is swerving to avoid rocket blasts!

The car zooms up and...

Yep, Lucy is driving. Guess the animators didn't follow Lucy's demand that Joe drive.

We see a few more shots of Lucy pressing the accelerator pedal and switching gears, and then suddenly...

Joe is driving!

That's one quick driver change! And I love how in the middle of all of this, Joe is checking Lucy out!

Not shy about firearms anymore, Lucy pulls out her gun and aims.

"Here we go, Joe!" she tells him.

Lucy leans out the window and shoots rockets at the mecha giraffes.

Meanwhile, Joe drives off a small cliff and lands in a lake. It must be a shallow lake, because they're able to speed out of it without any problem.

Another giraffe is blown up by Lucy, and Joe checks her out again.

"That's a nice gun you've got there." he flirts.

Okay Condor girls, this is the real scoop on what turns Joe on! Are you paying attention? Big Grin

Joe's so hot for Lucy that his number 2 has turned red!

"I'm just being cautious." Lucy replies smugly.

Joe agrees that you can't be too careful around Galactor. But Lucy doesn't appreciate this bit of wisdom.

"Listen, if you don't want to die, you'd better cooperate." she threatens the Condor. "Just shut up and drive."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Joe wants to know.

Joe is so concerned about this that he drives over a nest of eggs.

Yep. An entire nest of eggs. Let me rewind...

Six eggs that will never have a chance to become birdies. I guess Mr. Save-the-Puppy (Episode 20) has learned to curb his animal-loving instincts.

No new posts 06-07-2009 03:59 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

To punish him for this egregious atrocity, the last mecha giraffe shows up and starts shooting at the car.

And it seems that Lucy is so disgusted by this despicable act that she has turned brunette. Or perhaps that's one of her many disguises to hide from Galactor.

"Here it comes." Joe whispers intently, as he heads straight for the mecha.

But the ever-resourceful Lucy is on it, with a more blonde tint to her hair again.

Another mecha animal shows up, and Lucy blows that one away too. Joe stops the car, and Lucy stands up to check out the carnage.

Yes, she stands up in her car. Remember those cool cars of the 70s and early 80s that had the roofs act as doors?

And this is some funky lighting, because her hair is brownish again.

"Piece of cake." Lucy gloats.

Joe is clearly turned on by this.

"So now that Galactor's shown up, we should probably drop out of the rally." he suggests.

"Why are you afraid?" Lucy asks. "I've betrayed Galactor, so I have no problem fighting against those rejects."

Lucy looks up to see the God Phoenix flying by. Hey, where was it when the mecha animals were attacking?

In any case, it seems Lucy doesn't like the Science Ninja Team either. She shoots a couple of rockets at the God Phoenix.

But Ryu easily avoids them.

"Stop it! That's Gatchaman!" Joe shouts, grabbing Lucy's gun.

"So what? The Science Ninja Team isn't going to help us. They're a nuisance!" Lucy replies.

Joe is utterly shocked. I think Lucy just lost all of the points she scored with her gun.

In any case, Lucy doesn't care. She rips her gun out of Joe's hands and aims for the God Phoenix again. She shoots and hits...a bird. Yep. A bird is blown to smithereens.

Joe, Mr. I'll-Run-Over-Eggs-If-I-Want-To, is aghast.

"What are you doing? We have to stay in the rally!" nags Lucy.

Somehow, I think Joe is a lot less turned on, now.

Lightning flashes and it starts to rain. Night falls.

Lucy gives Joe driving directions, but he appears unimpressed. She reminds him that they are three minutes behind.

But the bad weather is giving Joe problems.

"Damn it! I can't see anything up ahead of us!" he exclaims.

Joe concentrates on his driving and Lucy's instructions.

Morning comes. The rain is gone, but Lucy's car is stuck in the mud. Joe is pushing as Lucy attempts to get out of the hole they are in.

This picture reminds me of one from Gatchaman Fighter, where Cyborg Joe stops a runaway train single-handedly, in pretty much this same position. Guess we can see here what a difference the cyborg strength makes! Joe is really straining himself!

Joe tells Lucy that it's not coming out. Lucy wants to try one more time, but Joe has had enough.

He tells Lucy to do what she wants. He casually leans against the car as she tries to get out of the mud.

Too bad neither of them sees the mecha rhino sneaking up on them... Okay, Joe finally does, when the rhino is practically on top of them.

Joe can hardly believe that he's in the path of a stampeding rhino!

Just as the rhino is about the ram the car, Joe jumps out of the way, back flipping over the car and coming to land inside of it.

And in the blink of an eye, he is safely ensconced in the passenger seat and Joe and Lucy are on their way. Seems the rhino dislodged them from the mud.

The rhino keeps chasing them, shooting laser beams from its eyes.

The rhino chases them all the way out of the grasslands and into the desert! It is only then that the God Phoenix shows up. It literally flies behind the rhino and uses the G-3 Bay to sweep it off of its feet.

The rhino goes for a ride on the G-3 bay.

But the ride is short as Ryu tosses it off and into a nearby water hole.

Despite her insistence on staying in the race, Lucy stops the car.

"So does the Science Ninja Team think that they're protecting us?" she huffs. "That's strange."

What is she talking about? She knows that Joe is with the ISO and she's trying to sell Galactor's secret information to the ISO... doesn't it make sense that the Science Ninja Team would have a vested interest in this? I don't think Lucy is thinking this through.

She glares evilly as we cut to a commercial break.

It's night again, and Joe and Lucy are still racing through the desert. Lucy is driving, and has gone brunette again.

"I wonder why the Science Ninja Team is following us." she says, waking Joe from a bit of rest. "Do you have any idea?"

"Who cares? We should quit the rally." Joe snaps. Clearly the honeymoon is over for these two.

But since he's awake, Joe decides to go for what he's after.

"So, how about you tell me where Galactor's Headquarters is now, huh?" he suggests.

"If you really want to know that, you'll stick with me until the end of the race." Lucy says nastily.

Lucy decides to pick up some speed on an open stretch. She passes by another car as the God Phoenix watches overhead.

Back in his audience chamber, Sosai asks Katse if Lucy will 'give up their Headquarters'.

"There have been no signs that she would. All is going as planned, Sire!" Katse reassures X.

"Lucy is focused now on winning the rally." Sosai observes. "We still have time. Don't we, Katse?"

"Yes, Sire! Gatchaman will be dead by the end of the race!" Katse promises.

On the God Phoenix, Ken is certain that Galactor is hiding out somewhere.

"Keep fresh and frosty!" he tells everyone, flashing his brilliant white Donny Osmond teeth.

And Ken is incredibly smug when they finally spot something in the trees. It's... a truck. But not just any truck. It's a truck sitting in the middle of nowhere surrounded by thick trees.

Ryu reports the presence of the truck to Ken.

Ken tells Jun that the two of them will 'take care of them behind the checkpoint'. Jun moves to leave the God Phoenix.

Lucy is still speeding along and passing cars, and she's still a brunette. She tells Joe to check the route book as she pulls up to the checkpoint tent.

Ever manly, the Condor leaps out of the car to go in to the checkpoint.

"There they are!" Joe calls, spotting a suspicious glimmer amongst the trees.

So what does our heroic Condor do?

He runs into the tent and yells at Lucy to be careful. Yes, really.

So Lucy gets out her gun again.

But the goons hiding in the trees have guns too.

Suddenly, two white forms drop out of the sky!

And before the goons know what is happening...

Ken and Jun spare a second to gloat as the remaining goons begin to panic.

No new posts 06-07-2009 04:01 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

And the rest of the Galactors are quickly dealt with.

Ooh, more are there! They shoot at the trees, trying to find the two ninjas.

So Ken and Jun jump down to say hello.

Meanwhile, Joe has missed all the fun, and is coming out of the checkpoint tent.

He gets back in the car while Lucy berates him for being slow. Ken and Jun run up just in time to see the car taking off again. Joe catches sight of his teammates as they pull out.

Jun is surprised by how much Lucy wants to win, but Ken thinks there's more to it than that. I'm not sure how he got such deep insights after looking at Lucy for a few seconds.

Lucy is telling Joe how she refuses to lose to Berg Katse or Leader X. Hmmm... yet more evidence that the Science Ninja Team really should have known about Leader X before the Abominable Snowman episode.

"Well you won't be able to defeat them by yourself." Joe points out.

"That's what you think!" Lucy brags. "Five of Galactor's bases will soon be mine!"

Joe is astonished to hear this.

"You heard me, Big Boy! I've decided to take over Galactor." Lucy smirks.

"Are you serious?" Joe asks, shocked.

Lucy says that she is. She will always prevail. She's even going to win this rally.

Joe wants to know what happens then. Why did Lucy contact the ISO anyhow?

Lucy reveals her big plan: she gets the $10,000,000 from the ISO for revealing the secrets, and the Science Ninja Team will kill Leader X and Katse for her.

"You'll be the new leader and build another organization." Joe says. "You really think it's that easy?"

"We can do it together." Lucy tells him. Yep, she's hot for Joe, and wants him in on her plot to take over the world.

Joe doesn't answer, but simply stares at Lucy.

Meanwhile, Katse it telling X that Lucy has been 'proven a traitor'.

I'm not sure what she did to be 'proven a traitor'. Not give up Joe at the checkpoint? As far as she knows, she hasn't even seen the Science Ninja Team, other than in the God Phoenix overhead.

"Yes, but she still hasn't revealed anything to Gatchaman, as he's still protecting her." X points out.

Katse says that he will carry on with the mecha animal plan. X wants to use the mecha as Galactor's eyes.

Back in the car, Lucy wants to switch driving positions.

The car is racing over desert sand dunes, and mecha vultures are flying overhead. Joe spots them.

The vultures shoot missiles from their mouths, causing Lucy to swerve the car around.

Ooh, look! Joe and Lucy switched positions in the car while driving wildly under fire. Now that's talent!

Joe manages to avoid the missile fire with his driving skills, until suddenly the mecha vultures start exploding.

On the God Phoenix, Jinpei is chortling to himself.

"I've been jonesing for the day that I finally get to fire the Bird Missiles!" he laughs. I guess he's not too upset about Joe's absence after all.

"Jinpei, I don't even want you close to the button without permission!" Ken lectures.

So, then who was just firing those missiles?

Jinpei apologizes and... presses the infamous red button, firing more missiles. He cheers as he hits mecha vultures in the butt.

Back in the car, it is now the last day of the rally.

"Let's hope we make it out alive." Joe says grimly.

But even as he says this, a pack of mecha hyenas come at the car from out of nowhere.

First Joe says that the hyenas have them trapped, but then he quickly finds a way to avoid them by taking another road.

Lucy tells Joe that there's a cliff ahead, but he just tells her to hold on. The hyenas have caught up with the car and are now on top of it, trying to scratch their way in.

The speedometer moves up to 130, but I don't know if it's kilometers per hour or miles per hour. Joe gets to the cliff and... leaps over to the next one. The hyenas aren't so lucky.

"Looks like you haven't lost your magic touch, have you?" Lucy asks. I think she might be impressed...

Joe and Lucy are back in the race, but there are at least two cars still ahead of them.

Up ahead in some kind of African village, another Galactor truck awaits.

Inside, a bizarrely dressed Captain is reporting to Berg Katse.

Ooh, it's Gladiator-Man!

I guess he's trying to impersonate the Roman gladiators who fought animals in the circus ring?

Katse is lambasting Gladiator-Man for his failed mecha animal attacks. Gladiator-Man assures Katse that he will 'get them next time with the jaguar mechs'.

Katse responds by telling Gladiator-Man that Galactor has a new device that allows them to remotely control and destroy brain cells.

"But my mission!" Gladiator-Man protests.

"Your mission is to die." Katse smirks, as a red light glows on Gladiator-Man's head.

Aww.... poor Gladiator-Man. We hardly knew ye...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 06-07-2009 at 04:05.
No new posts 06-07-2009 04:03 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Meanwhile, Joe and Lucy have won the race!

Lucy hugs her trophy and smiles and waves like a Barbie doll. She's gone blonde again too. Joe just looks a little creepy with his smile.

Not only did they win, but the announcer tells us that they finished in record time. An official offers them an envelope (presumably full of prize money).

But Lucy grabs it before Joe can get his hands on it.

Later, in a restaurant, Joe tells Lucy that she can have the entire $100,000 prize. Lucy admits that half of it is Joe's, but he decides to 'pass on it’.

*=  

But the race is over, and Joe wants to know where Galactor Headquarters is.

Lucy wants to know where her $10,000,000 is. Joe assures her that the ISO has it. But their conversation is being monitored...

So... Katse has a record of Joe's face, and that he works for the ISO. I'm finding it difficult to believe that it takes him another 75+ episodes to figure out Joe's identity...

Katse tells X that if they don't silence Lucy soon, she will divulge all of Galactor's secrets.

"We have no choice but to destroy our traitorous creation." X says. "Terminate Lucy."

"Of course. By your command, Sire." Katse agrees.

Back at the restaurant, Joe asks Lucy to 'cough it up'.

I guess I already mentioned that subtlety isn't one of Joe's strong suits.

But just as Lucy is trying to tell him, she starts shaking and crying out in pain. Suddenly, her eyes glow!

Joe is upset, asking her what's wrong.

"The Headquarters is..." Lucy tries to get the words out, but she can't. She picks up a glass of water from the table in her distress, and crushes it in her hand.

"Listen, Joe," she tries again, "Galactor's Headquarters are located in the..."

Joe grabs Lucy, telling her to 'snap out of it' and demanding that she tell him about Galactor's Headquarters.

"It's at the..." Lucy struggles to speak, but her face begins to transform.

Lucy is a cyborg! Well, technically, she's a mecha, because it doesn't look like there are any human parts on her, but I believe in the show they call her a cyborg.

Joe exclaims as she runs away from him.

But he yells at her to wait, chasing after her.

Lucy is so distressed that she runs to the end of the hallway... and keeps on going. Right through the wall...

Unfortunately, she's at least five storeys high, and so she falls to the ground outside the building.

Joe is distraught when he sees what has happened.

He races downstairs, only to see scrap metal parts on the ground. Even her clothes seem to be gone.

Suddenly, Ken and Jun appear from out of thin air. More likely, time has passed in an instant.

Joe tells them that Lucy was really a cyborg, Ken tells Joe that Lucy was an advanced cyborg, with human emotions that gave her the will to betray Galactor. Jun says that she feels sorry for Lucy. And the moral of the story is...

Cyborgs are people too. Yep, really.

A passing car drives over some of Lucy's scrap metal, and Joe, Jun, and Ken just stand there watching. Um, shouldn't they try to salvage what they can, to see if Dr. Nambu can extract any information from her 'brain'?

But this doesn't occur to our three ninjas, who just continue to stand there.

"If only Lucy had told me about this sooner, she wouldn't have ended up like this." Joe says.

Joe bows his head, admitting that he could have handled it better.

Ken tells Joe that there was nothing else he could have done. A cyborg's weakness is that when they concentrate on one thing, they forget about everything else.

"In the end, even a humanistic cyborg like Lucy couldn't avoid that weakness." Ken says. "It's a cyborg's fate."

Guess you just took some of that 'punch' out of our moral here, Ken. And explained further why when Joe became a cyborg, he didn't want to tell you about it.

"Yeah, right..." Joe mutters, walking off. But he doesn't sound convinced.

"You were a hell of a partner, Lucy." he says.

The narrator informs us that Joe did not want to remember Lucy as a cyborg. To Joe, she was his rally partner, and a friend with whom he shared one destiny for those five days.

His hatred for Galactor grows hotter within him. Go Gatchaman! Go Condor Joe! Fight until Galactor's ambitions are crushed!

And as Joe drives Lucy's car into the moonrise, the God Phoenix follows.

No new posts 06-07-2009 04:05 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

BOTP Episode 14 - Race Against Disaster

Deep down in Center Neptune, Zark is on the alert twenty-four hours a day. But that doesn’t mean that he doesn’t get a breather now and then. Right now it’s peaceful in the galaxy, so everyone is relaxing. Zark is ascending to his ‘personal quarters’.

G-Force has gone out to a cross-country car race, and Zark is on his way to a ten second oil break. But Zark wishes that he could be at the big race instead. Jason is driving in it. I guess this one fact makes Zark feel more kindly toward Jason, because rather than calling him ‘hotheaded’, like he usually does, Zark tells us that Jason is one of the ‘world’s best race drivers’, when he isn’t busy with G-Force.

As he is relaxing, Zark receives an incoming communication from Susan. He tells her that his ‘modulators are turned down, and his capacitor is on disconnect’. Susan tells him that she’s sorry that she has to ‘activate his circuits’.

“Oh, don’t apologize!” Zark titters. “I love it.”

But there’s no flirting for Susan today. She says that Chief Anderson called her. There’s a problem with the big Africa 9000 Obstacle Race. Gee, what does it mean is Anderson is contacting Susan instead of Zark?

Zark says that he’ll get right to it.

“If you need me, Sir, just buzz my bio-phaser.” Susan tells Zark.

“I’d love to. I mean, I will! I mean?” Zark is horribly flustered.

“I must meet her sometime!” Zark exclaims, after she has signed off. “Her soft voice just melts my trigotron!”

Now Zark is descending in his tube, going back to his Ready Room, wondering what’s disturbing Chief Anderson. Zark tells us that they run the Africa 9000 race every year. Drivers come from every planet in the Alliance. And of course, some always come… dun dun dun… uninvited.

Oooh…

Cut to scenes of cars preparing for the race. Zark’s voice tells us how grueling and rugged the race is. He explains that two drivers are assigned to each car, so that they can spell each other during the long, exhausting ordeal.

We see stock footage of the Phoenix leaving Center Neptune. Zark comments that if ever Spectra wanted to get its hands on one of G-Force’s top members, this would be the ‘ideal time and place’. Hmm… Foreshadow much, Zark? In any case, he’s going to keep a sharp eye on Jason.

Meanwhile, the Phoenix has arrived in Africa, and everyone gets out. The Phoenix has arrived only ten minutes before the race is scheduled to begin. Way to cut it close!

Mark warns Jason that Zark thinks Spectra may be up to something. The Commander tells Jason to ‘play it safe’. Like Jason is one to play it safe. Wink

Mark adds that the rest of the Team will be watching out for him. Jason thanks them and runs off, and Mark comments that Jason is the ‘best driver in the galaxy’.

Tiny says that he hears that Jason is teamed up with a ‘beautiful blonde’. Sure enough, we cut to a beautiful blonde girl getting into a car and checking out her gun. But she hides it as Jason approaches.

“Hi, Lucy! Sorry I’m late!” Jason says.

“Is that the way you drive?” Lucy asks. She sounds like a cross between Princess and Susan, with a Russian accent.

“No, and what’s the gun for?” Jason asks. Guess he’s more observant than Joe.

Lucy claims it’s for the ‘ferocious animals’ they’ll see on the race.

“I’m in a race! Not going on a safari!” Jason comments.

“Well, maybe I’ll need it to protect myself from you, Jason.” Lucy flirts. But Jason doesn’t bite.

“Come on, put that thing away, Lucy!” he tells her. They need to decide who’s going to ‘jockey the wheel’ on the first stretch.

“We’ve got to start off friendly if we’re going to be squeezed in here together in this long haul.” Lucy points out.

Meanwhile, on Spectra, the Luminous One asks Zoltar if ‘everything is arranged for the great race on Earth’.

“The G-Force driver will never reach the finish line!” Zoltar promises. So much for secret identities and Jason being incognito.

The Great Spirit expects favorable results. Zoltar promises that they will be ‘most gratifying’.

Back in Africa, Lucy is beginning the race.

“That starting ramp’s rough. Can you handle it?” Jason asks.

“Believe it! We’ll take off like two birds!” Lucy replies. If only she knew.

The announcer sounds like a drawling, nasal version of Zark, as he tells us that all drivers will be clocked from the starting block.

When the flag drops, Lucy takes off like a shot, racing through the savannah, amongst the animals.

“You were driving with someone else last time… Dave Leonard.” Jason makes idle chit chat as Lucy is busy navigating some tight turns.

“We wound up in a dead heat… with you if I remember.” Lucy replies.

“I sure remember.” Jason says.

Lucy narrowly avoids a collision with some placid giraffes, and then stops.

“Nice dodging, Lucy, but don’t stop!” Jason urges her. He seems to have his head a little more in the race than Joe does. Of course, Jason isn’t concerned about pulling the location of Spectra’s secret headquarters out of Lucy.

The giraffes turn into robots, and Jason grabs the wheel as Lucy pulls out her gun. She destroys them easily.

“That’ll teach you to threaten me!” she shouts.

“You’re a real dead shot!” says Jason, clearly impressed. Lucy tells him to stick to his driving.

“I can’t quite figure you, Lucy.” Jason notes.

“Why?” Lucy asks, pointing her gun at him. “Aren’t you used to girls who can defend themselves?”

“Not with a gun.” Jason replies. I think he’s giving Princess short shrift here.

Jason dodges more laser fire from the rampaging giraffes, and he tells Lucy to ‘nail them’. Once she gets the last one, Jason asks if this is why she brought the gun. Jason wants to know if she was expecting something like this.

“Hey, look, I’m your copilot! We’ve got to trust one another if we’re going to win a race together!” Lucy retorts.

The Phoenix comes flying by, but Jason grabs Lucy’s gun before she can get off a shot. Lucy thinks the ship is ‘another enemy robot’, but Jason protests that it wasn’t an enemy plane.

There’s a bad cut as we move into an evening lightning storm. Zark talks over the scene, convinced that Zoltar sent out those animal robots to harm Jason. But Zark wants to know why ‘that girl driver’ aimed at the Phoenix. He plans on keeping his scanners sharply tuned.

It’s raining, and Lucy offers to take over the driving, but Jason isn’t ready yet. It is soon morning again, with no further incident. But the car is stuck in the mud. Jason can’t push it out.

“Are you using all your muscle?” Lucy asks.

“Okay, you try, Supergirl!” Jason retorts.

A robot rhino approaches, and Jason flips up and out of the way, back into the car. The Phoenix swoops down, picking up the Rhino with the Galacticycle Bay and tosses it into the river.

“That strange plane is watching us. Is it a friend, or an enemy?” Lucy wants to know. But Jason doesn’t answer as we go to a commercial break.

When we come back, Zark is contacting a big-lipped Mark.

Zark has located more enemies trying to hurt Jason. He gives the coordinates to Mark and warns him to be on guard.

Zark tells us that Jason is nearing the halfway point, but he still has a long way to go. It’s a good thing the Phoenix is right behind him, all the way!

Back in the car, Lucy tells Jason that she’s going to have to ‘barrel down’ to make up for lost time. Jason agrees, and plans to ‘catch a quick wink’ while she does so.

But instead of sleeping, Jason reminds Lucy that they should be coming to the check-in spot soon. Even with their problems, Lucy thinks they’re still in front. She zooms ahead of other cars.

Back on Spectra, the Luminous One points out that ‘the driver should have been destroyed by now.’

“I regret that something has gone wrong.” Zoltar replies. “I’ll check with Master Robot.”

“I have given you the most powerful weapons in the galaxy!” the Luminous One complains. The most powerful weapons? Really? Somehow, it seems like Lucy’s gun is more powerful than your robots, Great Spirit.

Zoltar begs the Luminous One for patience.

Meanwhile, the Phoenix has arrived at Zark’s coordinates. They find a ‘hidden van’, and Mark surmises that it could be a control center for the robots. Tiny points out that it’s close to the checkpoint where Jason will stop. Mark orders Princess to ‘lock her scanner’ onto the van.

No new posts 06-07-2009 04:06 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

At the checkpoint, Jason gets out and runs into the tent. In the woods, Spectran goons show up. Mark and Princess fall out of the sky. Mark drags a goon behind a tree, and another goon just falls over for no reason. Mark and Princess hide in the trees, and then another goon just falls over in surrender as Mark walks up behind him. Princess flies up into the trees, surprising another bunch of goons.

Yes, everyone, it’s the badly chopped up BOTP fight scene!

Mark and Princess run up just in time to see Jason and Lucy pulling away. Princess thinks that Jason can still take the race, and Mark agrees, ‘if they can keep Spectra out of it’.

In the car, Lucy asks Jason if the ‘two people back there’ were his ‘racing fans’.

“Yeah, they follow me everywhere.” Jason replies.

“The girl was very pretty. I’ve got a hunch she’s a lot more than ‘just a fan’.” Lucy says slyly.

Jason doesn’t respond. Oooh…

“You know, I’ve been one of your fans for a long time, Jason.” Lucy goes on. “That’s why it’s such a thrill for me to be driving with you, finally.”

“You’re a racing freak! You get thrilled over souped up engines! It’s my car you go for, Lucy!” Jason protests. Hmmm, perhaps he’s thinking about Princess, as Lucy suggested? Big Grin

“It’s not your car.” Lucy says huskily.

And just as we get to the good part, we’re back on Spectra.

“There is still time, Sire. Jason will be destroyed before the race is over.” Zoltar says to the Great Spirit. Yep, Jason’s secret identity has been completely blown.

“I warned you about the female agent. She has betrayed us! She must be eliminated, as quickly as possible!” the Luminous One berates Zoltar. So this Lucy works for the enemy as well? No wonder she aimed at the Phoenix!

“I will transmit those orders to Master Computer Robot at once, oh Light of Wisdom.” Zoltar grovels.

“I do not trust robots.” the Luminous One sighs. A little late for that now!

In the car, Lucy is berating herself as she drives, for telling Jason ‘how she feels’. Again, Jason doesn’t respond. Whatever could it mean?

But it doesn’t matter, as robot vultures are closing in on the car. Jason is suddenly driving, and calling the Phoenix for help. That’s difficult to do, when his hands are all over the steering wheel and his communicator is nowhere near his mouth.

Somehow, Lucy doesn’t hear Jason contacting the Phoenix. I guess the rocket-shooting robot vultures are distracting her. But the Phoenix arrives.

“Let me… buzz a buzzard!” Keyop broops.

Mark tells him to go ahead, because Keyop could use the target practice.

“Gonna make… buzzard blizzard!” Keyop agrees. He cheers on Jason as he destroys the robots.

Later, the sun is setting, and Jason and Lucy come across more robots. These ones are hyenas. Jason shakes them by driving up a hill and driving off a cliff. He lands on the next one, as robots fall into the gorge.

“That was beautiful driving, partner.” Lucy gushes.

But back in the hidden van, Zoltar is contacting Master Computer Robot. Why, it’s Gladiator-Man!

“You robots have botched it!” Zoltar lectures.

“We are not programmed to apologize.” Master Computer Robot replies. He’s talking in that jerky 1970s stilted ‘robot voice’ like we used to do when we were kids. Yep, I’m old. I admit it.

Zoltar orders that ‘Agent Codename Lucy’ must be destroyed. Oh, and by the way, Zoltar has also programmed Master Computer Robot to self-destruct in twenty minutes. Gladiator-Man understands, and doesn’t complain.

But it’s too late! Jason and Lucy have won the race! They accept a trophy and a check. They have set a new record for the Africa 9000.

Later, at a restaurant, Jason tells Lucy that he’s asking for her as a partner next time he races.

“Jason, I have to tell you…” she begins.

“That you work for Spectra? I already guessed that.” Jason interrupts, nonplussed. “But I think you quit them during the race, right?”

“Right at the beginning.” Lucy admits.

“Good.” says Jason.

But Zoltar is monitoring them. The Spectran Leader reports to the Great Spirit that G-Force will learn nothing, because the Master Robot and his ‘base’ have been destroyed. Wait a minute? That dinky van was his base? Wow, you didn’t give the Master Robot much to work with, did you, Zoltar?

The Luminous One points out that the ‘agent who betrayed them still functions’. He gave orders to have her destroyed, didn’t he?

Zoltar reports that in a moment, her destruction will begin.

Back at the restaurant, Jason tells Lucy that she can forget about Spectra now.

“No, there’s something… aaahhhh!” Lucy begins to twitch and shake. Her eyes glow mysteriously.

“What’s wrong? Are you ill?” Jason asks frantically. “Lucy!”

“I’m trying to say, I’m a robot!” Lucy spits out.

“No, you can’t be!” Jason exclaims, catching her in his arms. “Zoltar’s doing this to your mind! I know you! You’re real!”

“Remember…” Lucy sighs, as her face turns to metal.

I have to say, this scene is much more satisfying than the Gatch version, where Joe is just trying to extort Galactor?s Headquarters out of Lucy.

Lucy runs away, and Jason follows, chasing after her.

But Lucy runs through the wall, crashing to the ground below, as Jason calls out her name.

We cut to a scene of Jason driving, a grim expression on his face. Zark does a voiceover, telling us that Lucy was beautiful, even for an ‘enemy alien robot’. But she forgot she was only a machine. Zark says that robots aren’t programmed to have feelings, but sometimes, ‘something’ happens.

Yeah, Zark, like your antennae erection every time Susan calls?

Zark chalks it up to a ‘mistake in Lucy’s wiring’. Nuh-uh. If she’s falling for Jason, she’s a much smarter robot than any of the others! JMHO? Wink

Back to Zark in his Ready Room. He tells us that this should be Jason’s proudest moment, but who can blame him for feeling badly? Yet Zark assures us that he’ll get over it, and be back to win another big race soon.

I guess the ‘death of a robot’ isn’t really that big a deal at all, according to Zark. Makes me want to test out that theory… Devil1

Zark tells 1-Rover-1 not to worry. They weren’t built with self-destruct buttons.

Clearly that was a significant oversight on the part of their designers. But before I can complain to Galaxy Security, the episode is over.

No new posts 06-07-2009 04:06 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

TJ, promise to read this episode later on as work is calling me right now! Thanks beforehand though as I know it will be delightful as always!

No new posts 06-07-2009 06:12 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Great recap! This is one of the BOTP episodes that I have pretty clear memories of -no doubt because there was so much of Jason in it!

Lucy was certainly interesting. Compared to Joe's other first-series doomed 'love interests' she certainly got more on-screen time, more time with Joe -and more complex motives. One minute she's supposedly betraying Galactor, but then she's shooting at the Science Ninja Team's plane. Then, she really wants to take over Galactor herself, and she wants Joe to help her. One moment it seems likes she's flirting, and the next, she's pointing a gun in his face. I'm wondering if she ever really intended to to tell Joe where Galactor's headquarters were, and if she only tried to tell him once she realized that Galactor had activated her self-destruct! It seems like Joe was alternately attracted to her and put off by her too -though he was definitely upset over her ultimate fate, and did appreciate that she had some good qualities.

I've often pondered Lucy's "What's it been? Five years?" comment. The writers establish that these two know each other, but never provide any more info. I've generally assumed that if it really has been five years (and she's not exaggerating, or bad at chronology) then Joe, at least, must have just been a kid that hung around race tracks although she might have been racing then (she could be some years older than Joe) and was, I assume, not a cyborg yet.

No new posts 06-07-2009 14:15 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Yep, I finally read it! Thanks again TJ ... the Condor's fans will love this episode as it highlights Joe's character and Don Giovanni's looks! Yet, he still hangs on to his composure and ideals ... good, old Joe!

I always chuckle each time you catch and mention the swapping of trousers between Jun and Ken and what is surely noticeable is the number of times that Sosai X is mentioned in the presence of Gatchaman before they actually are made aware of his true existence later on in the series.

I also thought that, perhaps, Katse could have become aware that Lucy was a traitor by having implanted some type of communicating or registering device in her, being a cyborg, that would have given the Galactors the means by which they could have known what the cyborg was saying instantly. Just assuming!

No new posts 06-07-2009 18:28 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by gatchamarie
I also thought that, perhaps, Katse could have become aware that Lucy was a traitor by having implanted some type of communicating or registering device in her, being a cyborg, that would have given the Galactors the means by which they could have known what the cyborg was saying instantly. Just assuming!

Well there was certainly *some* aspect of that. I believe that was the the execution of Gladiator-Man was supposed to illustrate the Galactor did, indeed, have remote powers over their cyborgs. How far that power went is up to you...

And yes, amazing that Jun is wearing Ken's pants, even in a Joe episode! Wink

No new posts 06-07-2009 18:58 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

LB, you're right about Lucy being far more complex than many others. And she even had a name! Alan's fiance can't say that much. Wink

As for the five years comment... I'm guessing that it was a minor slipup on the part of the scriptwriters where they weren't thinking. I suspect they just wanted to make it clear that Joe knew Lucy long before joining the Science Ninja Team. Or maybe in Japan, young men do learn to drive at age 13...?

No new posts 06-07-2009 19:01 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

TJ, this is fabulous! I was giggling as I read. You pointed out a number of inconsistencies that I never noticed! I was especially surprised at the eggs!

Fan Page #17

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 06-07-2009 20:53 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by gatchamarie

Yes that had always been my thought as well. Although for some reason I had a feeling there was a "hidden" microphone or recording device in the car that Galactor/Spectra was listening to.

In other words they were listening in on Joe and Lucy's conversations while in the car.

As for the five years comment I had taken it to mean that Joe (and maybe Lucy) knew each other from hanging around at the race track, they may not have raced but perhaps had a friend they knew who did.

BTW: another great recap TJ. I really do not know how you find all those errors and mistakes. I know I do not find them when I watch. You are either going through very slowly, frame by frame, or have a very good eye.

No new posts 06-07-2009 22:03 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

To some extent I am going through frame by frame. I have to type up the recap as I watch the episode, and move around for the best screencaps. So I am constantly pausing and stopping during the episode, which makes it easier to catch things.

No new posts 06-07-2009 22:30 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer

Yes that had always been my thought as well. Although for some reason I had a feeling there was a "hidden" microphone or recording device in the car that Galactor/Spectra was listening to.

In other words they were listening in on Joe and Lucy's conversations while in the car.

I too always assumed that Galactor could somehow remotely tell what Lucy was saying or even thinking, because of some sort of cyborg feature they'd installed in her. It would be like Galactor to not trust any of their agents, and to have means to spy on them.

No new posts 06-07-2009 23:15 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
To some extent I am going through frame by frame. I have to type up the recap as I watch the episode, and move around for the best screencaps. So I am constantly pausing and stopping during the episode, which makes it easier to catch things.

Well then that explains how it is that you catch so many of the bloopers. Of course I still have not watched the eps enough so that most of the time when I am watching I am "refreshing" my childhood memories and watching for the "action" instead of watching for the little things.

I think I have watched the Gatchaman eps. 2 times since I bought the DVD's. As for BOTP, I have seen the first 10-12 eps with my class the last two years but have got no further with the class due to time restraints. I think next year, if I do this again, will start where we left off since it really does not matter what order they are shown in. That will allow me to listen to a few different eps as well.

No new posts 06-07-2009 23:29 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
gogirl212 gogirl212 is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-07-2008

spacer

Thanks for the great recap TJ and the fan pages Springie. This has always been one of my favorite eps - I find Lucy intriguing and complex (as lb mentioned) and it is interesting to try and figure out her motives. Although maybe having been turned a cyborg, she is a little mixed up herself.

It struck me with the BotP version how there could be all that flirting and sexual innuendo, but no one could get hurt. Sex is ok for kids but violence isn't? I think that runs throughout BotP, it just struck me in particular in this ep. I do think I liked the BotP take on the final restaurant scene more so then the Gatch version. I think the focus on the relationship between the two of them is part of what makes it so compelling.

No new posts 07-07-2009 02:41 gogirl212 is offline Send an Email to gogirl212 Search for Posts by gogirl212 Add gogirl212 to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: terrihasacat
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Or maybe in Japan, young men do learn to drive at age 13...?

No, they don't. The minimum legal driving age in Japan is 18-years-old.

quote:
It struck me with the BotP version how there could be all that flirting and sexual innuendo, but no one could get hurt. Sex is ok for kids but violence isn't? I think that runs throughout BotP, it just struck me in particular in this ep.

Yes, indeed. I'm surprised that no one pointed out the far more innuendo-laden potential in the scene where Lucy says to Jason that, "It's not your car." Just watch the shot that immediately follow this line, and listen to the next line of dialogue Lucy utters in the show, and you'll see what I mean.

James

No new posts 07-07-2009 15:57 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Ohhhhhh?

You have peaked my curiosity! When I get home, I may have to get out my BOTP stuff and hunt for this eps. to see what you are talking about, James.

No new posts 07-07-2009 19:47 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I agree, that scene with the 'it's not your car' is pretty 'hot' for kids' TV!

I just remembered that Evangelina wrote a terrific fic that centers around this episode.

http://gatchfanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=220

Enjoy!

No new posts 07-07-2009 21:28 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: