Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Episode of the Week » Gatchaman Episode 3 - The Giant Mummy that Calls Storms
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman Episode 3 - The Giant Mummy that Calls Storms
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer
Gatchaman Episode 3 - The Giant Mummy that Calls Storms Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

The Battle of the Planets episode is called "The Space Mummy"

Here's the breakdown:

Once again we begin with 7-Zark-7 in the Centre Neptune "deep beneath the sea". He's pacing, his arms behind his back, talking about Alien invadors and the such. However, contrary to his worried pacing, he speaks of interesting things -- good things -- that happen sometimes. Why just last week he was scanning the skies and he discovered an unknown planet! It was literally hiding behind Venus and he just happened to be the one to catch it.

Insert annoying robot giggle here.

They named it "Zarcadia" after him. How often does someone get a whole planet named after them? He's really quite thrilled.

Productivity is the loser again here as he flaps his cape to go to the ..."FOSDIC" ... Gosh, I feel so embarrassed I thought something else of that piece of equipment. Not only does productivity get pushed aside for cape flapping, but he admits to shirking his watchful duties because he just can't resist checking on his planet...He tells us the location and we see a bright blip and are expected to agree that it is beautiful...

The amazing thing about Zarcadia is that it has an atmosphere just like Earth... and human beings, just like us ... well that is ... just like you... He's been watching Zarcadia closely and has noticed some very mysterious plane crashes (they must all be flying Boeing 737's ... the plane most likely to fall from the sky ... I'm serious! Have you ever heard of a Rudder Hardover?) So anyhooooo Zark has sent all the security forces, G-Force and even Security Chief Anderson to check it out. They'll launch as soo as Zark presses "this" button.

G-Force takes off toward Zarcadia. Mark checks in and informs Zark that they are half way through the solar system. Zark tells him they're right on target and to put the Phoenix on Auto for Time Warp -- Zark will control it from here.

We see a planet that looks eerily like the Crab Nebula, but are informed that it is, indeed, Zarcadia. G-Force must use their retro jets to land ... and they do. But they have to be on alert, even though they're already on the ground. There is a lot of air traffic out there and Zark does not know their patterns.

Flash to G-Force and their stunned faces.

Mark's face appears on the monitors at CN and tells Zark to "Stop biting your rivets, Zark, we made it just fine. Be in touch later."

Zark is all "phew" Now Anderson and the team can go to Zarcadian Security and work it all out..

I can't help but wonder why, when the inhabitants of Zarcadia obviously have their own name for the planet, they haven't corrected anyone on it - Zarcadia is a pretty dumb name..

Anderson provides Mark with a map of Zarcadia and explains that there have been four plane crashes with no explanation -- oh bring in the NTSB, they'll work it out -- Mark notices that they've all been within 20 miles of each other. He's heard a lot abot CAT, but this is rediculous. Initially Anderson seems confused, but he works out the acronym to be Clear Air Turbulance -- But it's never been known to occur on this planet. None of the pilots ever mentioned clouds. Clear air would indicate no clouds, right? Am I wrong?" Oh, but they mentioned something white. Clouds, maybe?

Mark walks out, Anderson asks where he's going because he hasn't finished yet. Mark retorts with "C'mon Chief. We've known each other a long time. You want me to go out and nose around, right?"

Andersom smiles and says "And when you get back, you'll tell me Spectra's here."

Mark noses around and sees a little badge, or something round, roll at his feet. He picks it up and a very rude little boy snatches it off him declaring that his dad gave it to him before he went away. Mark says "That's nice, why don't you take better care of it?"

An Anderson look alike walks up to ask if the little boy has done something wrong and Mark sheepishly rubs his head and says that it's nothing. Turns out the guy is the little boy's uncle and he's taking care of him while daddy is away.

As though they were old friends, Mark asks if the father is coming home from a trip. The Uncle openly admits that the dad is one of the missing pilots, but the boy won't accept it. He comes to the airport every day waiting for his dad to come home.

And oh, forgive him. His name is Doctor Sweet (I think I got that right) ... Mark introduces himself as a visitor from Earth. He thinks to himself that he wonders what is better; to for the kid to accept reality, or to let him make his own. But who knows. No bodies were ever recovered, so maybe the kid's right. He hopes...

Awwwww is this empathy from Mark his own wish that his daddy is still alive? They were the same age, right?

Mark is now in his plane and continues to think to himself. He flies over the area where the first emergency call was made. A black coud of wierd and Mark asks himself if he's made a lucky find -- or maybe unlucky.

Unlikely, Commander, as the pilots reported something "white". But you never know.

And so he now flies through what appears to be a thunderstorm, which again is condradictory to the CAT conversation. Lo and behold, there is a giant mummy!!! dun dun dunnnnn

Mark does a lot of gasping as he is swiped at a few times ... and then toward a mountain he flies. He clears it and we get one of those awesome expressions Gatch is so famous for. He phew's and look around him as the sky magically clears. It then becomes clear to the G-force Commander that Zoltar has to be behind this.

Mark and Anderson now share a coffee to discuss. Anderson notes that they found traces of Plutonium-X, to which Mark declares that all other planets in the solar system had stopped making it because it was too radioactive. Of course Anderson states that every planet except Spectra... Spectra is part of the Milky Way now? so this must be what they are using to propell the giant mummy.

Mark scratches his head and wonders if there isn't some kind of neutralizer, something to counteract the radiation. There is. It is called anti-pluton. It is a synthetic designed by Dr. Sweet (gasp!).

Mark met him only today!! Anderson says that you can bet that's why Spectra is here. They're probably after Sweet right now.

Mark thinks that it is Sweet's brother that was piloting flight five.

Mark then finds Dr. Sweet and the little boy waiting for another flight. It's raining. The little boys says "it's the man from yesterday". Mark asks if he is worried about catching a cold, and Dr. Sweet says that he thinks he's immune.

The little boy had a dream The dream said that his dad would return to him on a rainy day. So he had to be there. He sees a plane and runs off.

Dr. Sweet says that he's about given up his work, but can't bear to hurt the boy's feelings.

They wait, and the littel boy's daddy comes home!! Awwwwww.

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by SJ_SwanJun on 13-04-2009 at 09:03.
No new posts 13-04-2009 08:42 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

There is a press conference, where the daddy say's that he was picked up by a small fishing boat that didn't have a radio. He had to wait two days while they finished their catch.

For reasons not yet given, Mark steals Princess bike to do some snooping at the Pilot's home.

But Dr. Sweet isn't a fool. He knows this man isn't his brother and confronts him when he goes through his safe. We hear Zoltar's voice as he asks how he can be sure. (Perhaps by the voice?)

Apparently it isn't the voice, it isn't the wacky story, or even the fact he's rummaging through the safe ... it is because Dr. Sweet KNEW his brother never wore rings. Rather than counter that it was a gift from the fisherman or whatever, he simply says "Spectran research should have known."

Dr. Sweet accuses the imposter of being from Spectra, to which he replies "I am Spectra. You may have heard of me, Zoltar." He then blinds Dr. Sweet with the torch and makes a break for it.

When Dr. Sweet walks into another room and his face falls into one of shock -- We flash back to 7-Zark-7.

Zark is now oh so worried about what might be happening on "his" world of Zarcadia. Oh, and of course to the G-Force team... He has completely steamed up his monitor screen. He telescopes his legs to wipe at the top right screen and is pleased that now he can see what that evil Zoltar is up to. And he does hope that the little boy isn't in any danger.

But of course Mark is right outside and Zark just knows he'll do something to help.

He thinks he needs to remind G-Force to keep in touch. After all it is "his" world and he just might like to help to.

Back to the fun and Zoltar (in disguise) is seated by the child's bed with a gun in his hand. He says that if the Dr. gives him the anti-proton he will spare the boy. WIth that anti-proton formula, Spectra will be able to dominate the universe -- "I want it".

We hear Mark snap in at that point like a chiding parent with "You can't have it." Punch punch and Mark is at the window, his hair blowing in the wind, accusing the Spectran ruler of resoting to his lowest trick yet.

The fight ensues but only until the boy wakes and launches himself at Mark with a demand to "leave my dad alone."

Daddy then bolts out of the open window and into the stormy night. The little boy then pounds on Mark's chest as he declares he hates him.

Mark can do nothing but say sorry to little buddy.

The Dr. asks more about Mark, and is rewarded with the Eagle admitting he is with G-Force and how they were sent to Zarcadia to prevent Zoltar from getting the anti-plutonium. The doctor admits he has only extracted a little, and that he hid it in Buddy's badge. He knew that Spectra was using Plutonium-X and therefore would strike soon. He cannot believe, however, that he would strike through a child.

The boy snatches the badge off Mark, again, someone oughta teach this kid some manners.. snarking that it belonged to his daddy and seeing Mark hurt his daddy that he couldnt' have it.

Dr. Sweet explains that the man was a man who only looked like Buddy's father, but it wasn't him.

Mark goes on further to tell Buddy that he is a bad man named Zoltar who can change his looks to trick little boys like him.

Obviously Buddy doesn't want to buy it...

It is interesting to note that my little slidey dohickey thing indicates that I am two thirds of the way through this eppy, but we haven't seen the rest of the team -- oh excluding the quick flash of them all looking stunned. Where oh where have my birdies gone? Is Mark totally solo here? Perhaps the mummy may draw them all out...

Speaking of...

The mummy!! 7-Zark-7 simply has to alert G-Force to alert Mark!!

It is Anderson who talks to Mark, though. He tells Mark the Mummy has landed at the airport. to which Mark responds with: "Ouch."

Ouch?

Like really, ouch?

And thus begins the habit of the Eagle Commander uttering stupid things at the most inopportune times.

Anderson will notify the rest of the team, who must all gather the Phoenix and get it in the air.

Back to the topic of absent birds: Where and what have the rest of the team been doing all this time? Is is vakay time for the fouresome?

Mark transmutes and we see one of those great superhero camera pans as he looks up all proud to be who he is. Then back to the airport, where the mummy is stomping the place...

Zark tells us all that he is so thankful that they sent out a fleet of robot attack planes to help. They all get obliterated as the mummy holds up a plane that is a cross between a Boeing 747 and an Airbus 320. Incidentally, had the 747 been built at the time this was drawn? AFAIK the 747 is the only ... was the only ... four engine passenger aircraft... Oh but I digress.

Back to Buddy. Dr. Sweet walks into Buddy's room to tell him to look at the airport... But Buddy is gone!!

Could he have gone to the airport?

Oh gee, let us all ponder that a moment -- yeah of course he did..

In comes G-Force!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

Tiny remarks that the airport looks like one giant bonfire. They swoop around the mummy. Jason gets annoyed and snarks at Mark.

"What are we doing? Saving our missiles for July 4th?"

Mark says no as the mummy is just brushing missiles off. They must use anti-pluton, but they have to place it just right. He shows the badge... They only have enough for one shot.

So Princess asks "Where's the critical spot?"

Mark isn't so sure right now so he asks Tiny to get in real close so he can try and find the spot. Oh so typical for a guy not to know, eh ladies? *ahem*

Tiny swoops her by, but tells Mark to call him a chicken cause that's as close as he'll go.

Mark thinks to himself that they need a direct hit -- right to where the plutonium is stored.

Zoltar is pleased with their day of work. Finally he has a weapon that not even G-Force can withstand. With this mummy they can conquer every galaxy in the cosmos!!

The mummy takes off into flight, and Mark works out that the hit should be in the back.

Oh no ... Princess lets Mark know that there is a little boy running across the airport. Mark responds with "what?" and zooms in on the image of little buddy weeping and searching for his daddy.

Oh break my heart....

Zoltar actually tells the boy to stand in the middle of the tarmac, because he'll be safe. Dr. Sweet meanwhile is struggling with security to let him in...

Zoltar again tells the boy to stay put and sics the Mummy onto him. Mark is sickened that Zoltar will let the mummy trample on the boy and steps onto the elevator to take him out. Keyop is in total agreement and tells Mark to go get him!

But Mark seems more interested in killing the mummy than rescuing Buddy. He empties the badge into his birdrang and let's out a grunt of exertion as he leaps and tosses his rang.

"Bullseye, baby," he yells as the rang strikes its target.

It strikes and the mummy begins to fall apart.

Apparently the monitors in the Phoenix must have some delay in their feed, because even though the mummy is disintegrating, Keyop broops that he hopes it works. Jason tells him not to worry as "Mark always knows what he's doing".

I guess that is something he will never admit to the Commander's face, right?

Zoltar is unimpressed, although he should be thankful that Mark downed the creature at that exact point, because the back ramp was in perfect position to lead him to the escape rocket.

He groans that the plan was perfect right up until the end and perhaps they should miniaturize next time!

Buddy sees his daddy running into the rocket -- and thanks him for saving him?!?! Huh? Didn't Mark just do that?

Mark is in civvy's and rounds the corner. He gripes that Zoltar always has a back up plan.

Buddy sees Mark and gives him a verbal lashing. He is mad at Mark for saying that his daddy was a bad man. His daddy made him stay where his uncle could save him.

He pounds at Mark's belly ... Mark can do little else but bow his head and let the boy grieve...

Dr. Sweet says that the boy will understand in time, but Mark says he'd prefer the boy took out his anger on him. Some realities are hard to face when you're just a kid.

Dr. Sweet finds that very mature of Mark to say....

Mark then walks away, thumbs in his pockets...

Back to Zark. Well there's another Spectran plan down the tubes. G-Force have driven the evil forces of Spectra away from Zarcadia -- and isn't Zark happy..

He thinks that Zarcadia is such a lovely name for a planet -- but 1-Rover-1 is jealous.

Never mind, though, because he has a planet named after him ... Cyrius.

Ahehehe hoho ..

~end eppy~

Sighhh

No new posts 13-04-2009 08:43 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Ha! Great BOTP review, SJ! This ep wasn't one of my favs, because the other birdies weren't in it much...so I was laughing when you said, "Where, oh where have my birdies gone?"

BTW, I found the mummy mecha to be one of the scariest/most disturbing mechs when I was a kid...it just wouldn't die! (The Neon Giant is a close second for me)

Anyhoo, here's another stab at sharing my Fan Page...hope it works for you this time...

Fan Page Episode 3

Click where it says, "Doc File" and it should download for you...it's a word document.

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 13-04-2009 at 12:35.
No new posts 13-04-2009 11:56 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

spacer

Springie -- I am just getting the same error message as last time ... :wibble:

Sighhh

No new posts 13-04-2009 12:02 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

ACK...I'll try again...just in case...all of my pages can be found at Jun's Joint...just search for Episode 3...

Fan Pages

Try typing in "Episode 3" under "search"...

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 13-04-2009 at 12:49.
No new posts 13-04-2009 12:49 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

And here's another attempt...

Fan Page Episode 3

I tried to fix episode 2 and put it into the Episode 2 discussion...hope it works this time!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 13-04-2009 at 12:53.
No new posts 13-04-2009 12:52 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

spacer

Yaaay It's working now!!

Thankkkkeeeee

Sighhh

No new posts 13-04-2009 12:57 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

Oh good! Now I think I know what went wrong!! WOOHOO! BTW, the Fan pages get longer as the eps progress...these beginning ones may get edited...and I'll add in more bloopers (with credits) if you guys find more...

No new posts 13-04-2009 12:59 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Um....Wow.... I did all of this work on the weekend and you guys have pre-empted me! FWIW, SJ, you only need to do BOTP episode reviews on Thursdays. I do it all on Mondays.

Oh well. Maybe I should just let you guys take it over every week! Big Grin

But anyhow, since I did all of the work, I'll post it anyhow.

Gatchaman Episode 3 - The Giant Mummy that Summons Storms

Two commercial airline pilots have a conversation on their route. One pilot is glad to be back home in Japan, so he can see his son, Makoto. Unfortunately, not having a mother, his father spoils him, and Makoto is somewhat selfish.

The other pilot comments that it is perfect weather for flying. This, of course, is the perfect cue for trouble.

A small explosion takes place in the distance, resulting in a large, black cloud that quickly spreads across the sky and engulfs the plane in rain and lightning.

An SOS is called, but it is too late. The plane literally crashes and burns. A strange, giant mummy appears at the scene.

This plane is not alone. Other planes meet with disaster as well. Dr. Nambu and Ken track the pattern of plane crashes.

Strangely, Ken's face appears to be swollen. Could he be getting over the mumps?

Strangely, no one has heard of any bad weather in these areas, despite the pilots' reports of storms, and something white. Ken leaves before Dr. Nambu even finishes talking, surmising that the Doctor wants him to investigate the matter. Nambu mysteriously comments that 'they boy resembles his father; he's got great instincts'. Hmmm...

Ken heads to the airport. As he is observing the area, a small disc (that looks like a yellow and blue version of Jun's Yo-Yo) rolls to his feet. Ken picks it up to examine it.

But before he can do so, a small boy rudely snatches it from Ken's hand, calling him a thief.

Turns out it is a badge, and the boy pins it to his shirt. A man approaches, apologizing for the boy's behavior. He introduces himself as the boy's uncle, Tetsuro Takahara. He calls the boy 'Makoto' and tells him to be patient. But Makoto rudely runs off, pushing aside other people to watch a plane land. Takahara Explains that Makoto's father was the pilot of a plane that crashed. Ken quickly introduces himself as 'Ken the Eagle'. So much for secret identities.

Later, Ken flies in his Cessna through the area in which the planes have disappeared.

ÿÿ 

Sure enough, a dark storm cloud appears, and a massive bandaged hand swipes at his plane!

Ken sees the giant mummy flying through the storm.

It grabs for him again, and Ken barely escapes back into the bright sunlight. He regrets that the mummy got away from him. Like there was anything he was going to do about it all on his own in a plane with no weapons?

Nambu and Ken are having a meeting at a restaurant.

A waiter blithely pours Ken coffee as he and Nambu discuss the secret results of their investigation.

Apparently, Nambu has discovered Plutonium X. Where, they don't say. But Ken points out that this substance is dangerous to use because of the high levels of energy it releases. Nambu tells Ken that Galactor must be using Plutonium X in the giant mummy.Ken is confused, wondering how to stop the mummy.

Nambu tells him that the only way to stop is is with Uranirase, which was invented by Makato's uncle, Professor Tetsuro Takahara. Ken recalls meeting him at the airport.

Ken goes back to the airport, where he meets up with Makoto and Dr. Takahara again. Ken warns Makoto that he'll catch a cold being out in the rain. Of course, Ken's out in the rain too, but I guess as the Eagle, he's immune to stuff like that.

Of course, Makoto has an explanation. His father appeared to him in a dream and told him that he'd come back on a rainy day. So Makoto wanted to come. Sure enough, a plane comes out of the sky and lands, and Makoto's father steps out of it. The boy is overjoyed. Clearly security is lax at this airport, as Makoto is able to run right down to the runway area to greet his father. Ken ponders this strange development.

Makoto's father (Takahara's brother) tells the press that he came to after the accident floating in the ocean, and that he was rescued by a foreign freighter. He is the sole survivor of the crash. Takahara is surprised to see a flashing ring on the pilt's hand.

Ken has acquired some kind of scooter, and he shows up at Makoto's home in the middle of the night, just in time to notice a strange circular light in an otherwise dark room.

Inside the house, Takahara discovers the pilot moving to open a secret safe in the library. Takahara confronts the main, claiming that he is only 'pretending to be his little brother'. The pilot laughs, and begins speaking in an all-too-familiar voice. (Although keep in mind this voice was not as familiar to the audience at this stage in the show's run.) Takahara reveals that his brother hated rings, so it was this that gave the imposter away. The imposter laughs and tells Takahara that he is 'the Leader of Galactor; the Great Berg Katse'. Katse overcomes Takahara by shining his flashlight into the professor's eyes. He crashes through the window and then jumps down into a window on a lower storey of the building. Ken, outside, witnesses this.

Takahara enters Makoto's room to find Katse sitting by the sleeping boy's bedside with a gun, threatening his life if Takahara doesn't hand over the Uranirase.

But just as Katse is about to pull the trigger, someone steps out of the shadows to confront him. It's Ken! Ken has no trouble punching out Katse, even in civilian form.

Ken and Katse exchange words, while Ken postures threateningly.

More fighting ensues.

Makoto wakes up in time to see Ken beating up his 'father', and distracting him long enough for Katse to get away.

Makoto accuses Ken of making his father go away again.Ken is shocked by this accusation, especially when Makoto starts pummeling him.

Takahara asks Ken just who the heck he is (I guess 'Ken the Eagle' wasn't enough of an introduction, back at the airport) and Ken explains that Dr. Nambu sent him. Takahara confirms that he has been in touch with Nambu, and gives Ken Makoto's badge. It contains the Uranirase. Makoto isn't too happy to have Ken taking his badge again.

Ken tells Makoto that they need the badge to get Makoto's father back for real. Makoto asks Ken to promise that he will bring Makoto's father back, and Ken hesitates, knowing that he can't honestly do such a thing. But eventually he does promise the boy that he will do this, as lightning flashes ominously in the background.

Meanwhile, the giant mummy appears at the airport in a ball of flame, despite the falling rain.

Nambu contacts Ken to inform him of this. He tells Ken to launch the God Phoenix. Ken transforms in the rain.

The mummy causes havoc at the airport, randomly destroying things and terrifying the people there. It has no trouble destroying the UN military forces sent to comabt it. However, their flaming rockets do manage to burn off his facial bandages, revealing a demon's head underneath. More of the demon's body is revealed as other bandages burn off.

Cut out of BOTP: a pilot dies at the hands of the demon mummy.

Also cut: the demon destroys a plane.

Back at Takahara's home, the professor goes to wake up Makoto, only to find out that the boy is missing. Could Makoto have gone to the airport?

Why of course he has! Where else would a selfish, self-absorbed little boy go? He is running towards Kate (still disguised as Makoto's father). Somehow, all of the way back at the house, Takahara knows this, and he screams at Makoto that the man is not his father.

Finally, nearly three quarters of the way through the episode, the God Phoenix and the rest of the Science Ninja Team appear. Sorry, but this episode was a little too Ken-centric thus far for me. The team surveys the damage, and Jinpei calls the airport 'a sea of fire'.

The God Phoenix gives the demon a pass.

Joe urges Ken to just 'blast some Bird Missiles' at it.

Ken refuses, reasoning that it had no problem with all of the other missile hits sent at it by the UN military. Their only hope is the Uranirase. Jun wants to know how to use the Uranirase.

Ken tells Ryu to make another approach, so they can figure out what part of the mummy is the control center. But Ryu can't get too close, because of its grasping hands. Ken frantically wonders what part of the mummy contains the Plutonium X.

Meanwhile, Berg Katse watches the flaming destruction (still disguised as Makoto's father). "Run riot, Mummy Monster!" he laughs.

Ken sees flames coming from the mummy's back, and realizes that this must be where the Plutonium X is located.

But just as this occurs to him, Jun reports that a child has run out onto the airfield. Ken is shocked to see that it is Makoto.

Berg Katse orders the mummy not to hesitate, but to trample Makoto. UN Military Officers prevent Takahara from coming out to save Makoto. Funny how those guys aren't really rushing in to help either. Jinpei is distressed by this state of affairs.

To everyone's surprise, Ken ascends on the elevation platform, telling Ryu to bring them close to the mummy.

Ken opens up the head of his Bird Rang, then crushes the badge, dropping the Uranirase inside into his weapon.

Takahara runs out onto the airfield, grabbing Makoto and taking cover, just as Ken leaps from the hull of the God Phoenix. He throws his Bird Rang at the middle of the mummy's back, then lands on the ground next to Takahara and Makoto.

Of course, Ken's aim is true, and the mummy freezes in position, turning grey and then breaking apart. The rest of the Science Ninja Team cheers.

"That's Ken for you!" Joe says proudly. "Our mission is accomplished!"

Boy, am I glad they changed Joe's character later in the series. It really freaks me out to hear the Condor talking like this. Of course, this really has been a 'Ken is the greatest, why do we even need a Team?' episode.

And then again, maybe Joe was just being facetious. He tells Ryu to leave, and he does. Unfortunately, they forgot about Ken, leaving him stranded alone at the airport.

Gatchaman is still on the airfield, watching the debris rain down from the mummy. He runs clear as the back of the mummy falls down to the ground, revealing a space-shuttle-like rocket inside. Katse runs up the fallen back and boards the rocket.

As he does so, Makoto screams at 'his father' not to leave. Why don't I feel badly for this kid? He's just getting on my nerves at this point.

A de-transformed Ken peeks out from behind the rubble as Katse's rocket takes off.

Makoto tantrums when he sees that his father has gone, and when he spots Ken the boy calls him a liar, because Ken promised to bring his father back. Ken stands there as the kid pummels him. He tells Takahara that he doesn't mind if Makoto hates him, because he's just like Ken. Ken's father was a pilot as well, and he disappeared in an accident ten years ago. Ken believes his father is alive. He is sure that he will see his father again.

Of course, that dream will never come true for Makoto, although Ken prays for the boy's happiness.

[u]BOTP Episode 48 - The Space Mummy[u]

Zark opens the show, reminding us that his main task at Center Neptune is to monitor the heavens for any sign of trouble, such as alien invaders from outer space. But sometimes other things happen too. Why, just last week, Zark discovered a completely unknown planet hiding behind Venus! He giggles girlishly as he reveals that it will be named 'Zarkadia', in his honor. Gag.

"I'm really thrilled." says Zark.

The Tin Can flies across the room to his control monitors, just to check on Zarkadia.

ÿ 

What's 'really mind-blowing' is that it has an atmosphere almost identical to the one on Earth, and it is populated with human beings, 'just like us'! Wow... almost seems like it could be Earth, doesn't it? Wink

Unfortunately, there have been some mysterious plane crashes on Zarkcadia. So the 'whole security unit' (G-Force and Chief Anderson) are going up there to check it out. Boy, plane crashes must be a big deal in the Federation!

The Phoenix launches from Center Neptune, on its way to Zarkadia.

Not from Gatchaman Episode 3.

Zark hopes they will take care of 'his world'. Zark tells the team to 'set it on auto for Time Warp' while Zark takes over the controls. Mark agrees with a friendly "You got it!"

The Phoenix flies through space.

As the Phoenix lands on Zarkadia. he warns the team that there is a lot of air traffic.

G-Force appears shocked to hear about this air traffic. You'd think they could find a better shot to borrow from another episode!

In a painfully animated scene, Mark tells Zark to stop worrying about them.

At this point the plot gets closer to the Gatchaman version, as Mark and Anderson discuss the crash sites. Mark surmises that the crashes might be the result of CAT, Clear Air Turbulence. But Anderson says that it's never been known to occur on Zarkadia. And none of the pilots' tapes mention clouds.

Anderson gets pissed off when Mark starts to leave before the Chief is finished. But Mark just shrugs it off. After he leaves, the Chief guesses that Mark will find Spectra at the bottom of it.

Mark meets the boy, Buddy and his uncle at the airport, and the scene is actually pretty close to the Gatch version, except that Mark lectures the kid to take better care of his badge. The uncle's name is Dr. Sweet, and Mark introduces himself as just 'Mark', and not as the Commander of G-Force. He does say that he is a visitor from Earth. Mark sympathizes for the boy's anguish at his father's disappearance.

Mark flies his Cessna in the desert, making a 'lucky find'. The mummy attacks, and Mark escapes, although in the process he gives some slightly girly gasps of fear.

Mark quickly surmises that Zoltar has to be behind this.

Later, at a restaurant, Chief Anderson tells Mark that they found traces of Plutonium X on his aircraft. Wait a minute... there's a consistency with the Gatch version? I think I'm going to fall over in shock!

Mark is surprised, because every planet in the galaxy stopped making it due to its being too radioactive. Every planet, but Spectra, corrects Anderson. He also informs Mark that a substance known as Anti-Pluton will counteract the Plutonium X. It was invented by Dr. Sweet, whom (conveniently) Mark met at the airport earlier. Wow, we're really on track with the original story, here!

Just as in the Gatch episode, Mark runs out in the rain to the airport, making a comment that Makoto will catch a cold being out in it. Dr. Sweet blithely replies that 'luckily, they are immune'. Wow, guess it pays to be an alien!

Buddy tells Mark about his dream that his father would come back to him on a rainy day. His father comes back on a plane, and tells reporters that he was picked up by fisherman. Dr. Sweet is disturbed by his brother's ring.

That night, the pilot is discovered by Sweet, and the pilot speaks with Zoltar's voice. "I am Spectra! You may have heard of me: Zoltar!" he announces. He jumps out the window and into another one. Dr. Sweet chases after Zoltar, opens a door with a shocked expression on his face and...

We cut to Zark. Zark is worried. So worried that he steamed up his monitor screen. He has to clean it.

Zark assures us all that even if Zoltar were to try and harm Buddy, Mark is right outside, and he will do something to help. Do you really believe that, Zark? If so, why are you so worried?

Now that Zark has told us that everything will be okay, it's all right to show us Zoltar holding a gun at the sleeping boy's head. Zoltar demands the Anti-Pluton from Dr. Sweet.

"I want it!" Zoltar declares.

"You won't get it!" says Mark. He punches out Zoltar, just as the Spectran Leader realizes that G-Force are there. Of course, Mark is in civilian clothes, but Zoltar doesn't seem to pay attention. Has he discovered Mark's secret identity?

Regardless, he charges at Mark, and Mark punches him out again. My, how violent!

Buddy wakes up and stops Mark. Mark tells Dr. Sweet that he's with G-Force (they really don't seem to care about Mark's secret identity here) and Sweet gives over the Anti-Pluton. Mark convinces Buddy that Zoltar is a 'bad man'.

Zark notices the Space Mummy at the airport and contacts Anderson, who contacts Mark. Mark transmutes.

The mummy destroys a number of planes, but thankfully Zark informs us that they are robot planes.

The attack scene at the airport is somewhat shorter, but the mummy's bandages are still burned off. The Phoenix arrives quickly, Tiny noting that the airport is 'one big bonfire'. Jason wants to know why they aren't shooting yet. Are they saving their missiles for July Fourth? Mark says that they have to use Anti-Pluton. But there's only enough for one shot, so it has to be placed just right.

As with Gatch, Mark tries to figure out where the spot is, then realizes it's the mummy's back. As Zoltar gloats, Buddy runs onto the airfield. Zoltar tells Buddy to stay in place, but Keyop thinks that Buddy is 'doomed'.

Mark puts the Anti-Pluton into his boomerang, shouting 'Bullseye, baby!' as he throws it at the mummy's back. Jason tells the others that 'Mark always knows what he's doing'. When did they give Zark's lines to Jason?

Buddy thinks that his father wasn't bad after all, since he told Buddy to stay put, so his uncle could save him. Mark allows Buddy to be angry at him, to avoid disillusioning the boy.

Meanwhile, back at Center Neptune, Zark is glad that G-Force has defeated Zoltar and has driven Spectra from Zarkadia.

Zark lies down for a ten second oil break, talking to Rover.

As 1-Rover-1 barks, Zark suddenly teleports over to his control panel, where he is wiping down his monitors. I didn't know Zark could move that fast!

Zark tells Rover not to be disappointed that they named a planet after Zark. After all, they named the brightest star in the sky after Rover: Sirius, the Dog Star!

And with that, another adventure safely concludes.

No new posts 13-04-2009 13:43 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

spacer

Oops, sorry, TJ ... my bad.

Yours looks so much better than mine...

Sighhh

No new posts 13-04-2009 14:14 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

Excellent, TJ! It was really fun to see both Gatch and BOTP perspectives on this ep! And I enjoyed seeing the BOTP eppy through the eyes of both you and SJ! It's funny to see the things that we, as fans, notice...you guys find things that I never noticed...

No new posts 13-04-2009 14:17 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

You know, looking back at the Zark pics, I never noticed his little robot tennis shoes before!! Bwahahahaha...makes me think of Mr. Rogers...wonder if he sings while he changes to his sweater and tennis shoes...ICKK!!

No new posts 13-04-2009 14:20 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

Wow.. these reviews are great! It's interesting to see which scenes they used in BOTP.

No new posts 13-04-2009 14:36 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Great recaps!

Yes, I was also thinking that there's an awful lot of Ken in this ep, and not much of anyone else! A lot of the earliest episodes seem to be that way. At least here, there's the excuse that they needed to parallel Ken and that little boy, in order to introduce the fact that Ken's own father is long missing and presumed dead.

Why is it that I find nearly every small child character introduced in a Gatchman episode to be so annoying and unlikeable? But, Makato is one of the worst.

And Ken going around introducing himself as "Ken the Eagle"! Laugh2 At least he stops doing that after a while, I think. But, there's an ep where Joe's in a race and the announcer calls him "Condor Joe" so Ken wasn't the only one guilty of this. I can only assume that no one thinks twice that a test pilot and a race car driver just happen to use "nicknames" that just happen to coincide with two members of the KNT.

I'm laughing so much about "Zarkadia"! Even at age 8 or 9, I'm pretty certain I knew that no new planet would ever be discovered that was closer to the sun than Earth. And it's already populated, but they let Zark just go and rename it after himself?

No new posts 13-04-2009 15:01 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

You know, Springie, I was just noticing that about the tennis shoes as well! And I don't think we ever say Zark wearing them...

I am pound at your idea of Mr. Rogers!

LB, I think you're right that they wanted to parallel the whole thing with Ken's father. After all, it's only a couple of eps more before they introduce Red Impulse, although (obviously) not as Ken's father.

And I recall James saying that in early planning development, Tatsunoko had planned on focusing on Ken, Jun, and Jinpei as the main characters. Perhaps that's why we're seeing so much Ken here. He has to be established as the hero?

No new posts 13-04-2009 15:54 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

I have to admit this is low my fave ep list. Even though it was the first Gatchaman ep I watched!! It was on a BOTP DVD I brought. Somethings in it a like others...not so.

I think in some ways it was boring. Maybe thats why its low on my list.

TJ- The part where he introduces himself as "Ken the Eagle" do you think it was a dialogue slip up???

Althought I know Makato was meant to be a representation of Ken when he was a boy waiting for his father to return.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 13-04-2009 at 22:52.
No new posts 13-04-2009 22:51 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Condorfan Condorfan is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

spacer

Another great recap SJ and TJ!

I agree with lborgia in that kids in either series seem so damm annoying. Makoto does seem the worst of them. I could never understand about Ken introducing himself as "Ken the Eagle" to people. I guess a secret identity didn't seem like a big deal to him.

I could see the creators wanting to make the parallel with Ken and Makoto but they just wasn't enough Condor for my tastes!

No new posts 13-04-2009 23:03 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
TJ- The part where he introduces himself as "Ken the Eagle" do you think it was a dialogue slip up???

I'm sure James could shed light on this, but my guess is that Tatsunoko just didn't care about it at the time. They might even have been trying to have him 'introduce' himself to the viewers. It was only Episode 3, after all, and they needed to draw in as big an audience as possible.

No new posts 13-04-2009 23:41 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

These are good reviews TJ and SJ.

I love the screen shots you added TJ. They really help me to see and remember what is going on, seeing as I did not have time to watch these this weekend.

My thought to showing so much Ken, although it is still early in the series .... they showed some eps. that were very much Joe ones or Jun ones so they also needed some Ken ones. Since he was meant to be the "Hero" in the show you better get his storyline in early.

Sorry that is JMO from a Eagle admirer.

No new posts 14-04-2009 00:08 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
I'm sure James could shed light on this, but my guess is that Tatsunoko just didn't care about it at the time. They might even have been trying to have him 'introduce' himself to the viewers. It was only Episode 3, after all, and they needed to draw in as big an audience as possible.

I'd have to chalk it up to the staff just not thinking this through more than anything else. Or it's possible that they hadn't decided what his family name would be at that point, and it would have been rude of him to introduce himself as just "Ken." Regardless, it's somewhat forgivable this early in the series. It's far less so when Joe goes racing under the name "Joe, the Condor" in episode #76.

James

No new posts 14-04-2009 00:19 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
[1]  2  3  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: