Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »The Debating Room » time travel
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page time travel
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
damieon damieon is a Male
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-01-2008

spacer
time travel Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Well what do you think about time travel? Is it possible? What would happen if it could? So many questions about it, who knows the most though?

No new posts 24-02-2008 23:08 damieon is offline Send an Email to damieon Search for Posts by damieon Add damieon to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: slayer12052
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer
RE: time travel Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi damieon and forgive the lateness but welcome to the madhouse....ooops the group and thank god there's another Eagle about.

As for your questions, that's a bit difficult, but here's the 2 different thearioes fro you.

1) What is called The Grandfather Paradox.

You can't change time because if you for example go back in time and kill your granfather as a child, then he can't grow up and have a son, who will then grow up and have you, then you can't be born and grow up and go back in time to kill your grandfather,

2) I don't know the name, but I call it The Back To The Future Theory

If you go back in time, for example and kill Hitler as a baby and go back to the future (Whether by TARDIS or a De Lorean, etc), then you will not only go forward in time but you will arrive in a parellel universe, where Hitler wouldn't have grown up.

I personally like this theory.

If you want more on the subject, then go to time travel .

No new posts 24-02-2008 23:23 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Have to admit there are times it might be nice to go back in time and undo a decision made.

No new posts 25-02-2008 10:27 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

You know I just finished writing a ficcie on this very topic and the consequences of what could happen if it were truly possible...Wink2

I used theories from different sources about time and the way it works...but then what is time anyway... it is recored measure by us really, the universe would tell you a different story...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 25-02-2008 at 10:58.
No new posts 25-02-2008 10:56 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I also remember a third theory of time travel. I don't know the name but basically if you go back in time, where you change something, time kinda finds a way to keep the orginal timeline and keeps on doing just that, when you keep going back changing time.

The second theory I posted in my previous post reminds me of a scene in the Timecop film and TV series and also a short story from a book I read as a kid.

In the book, there is a time travel safari, whose HQ was nice and clean, wherre a group of hunters would hunt dinosauers on a path, which they are told, they must stay on because if they step off and even tread on a blade of grass, then time would change in some way.

I can't exactly remember what made one hunter step on the grass, but the outcome was, when they got back, time changed completely and the time travel HQ was dirty and run down and the president had changed from one person to another.

I think the moral of the story FB, is if you have the chance to change time, then don't or else, the conquences could be a lot worse.

No new posts 25-02-2008 11:00 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
I used theories from different sources about time and the way it works...but then what is time anyway... it is recored measure by us really, the universe would tell you a different story...

Ah, we are time travelling anyway as we travel from one time zone to another and I don't know about other countries, but in the British Isle, we are on GMT at the moment, but very soon we will move to BST.

Can you imagine, if it's your birthday or Xmas, you celebrate it in one time zone and travel towards the west to another time zone and celebrate again and so forth.

My god, can you imagine the hangover and celebrating that 40 birthday again and again, etc.

No new posts 25-02-2008 11:04 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

I look at timelines only as a measure for history but not how it actually works...

Time has a natural flow to it really, but it much more dimensional...your current reality will always be no matter what time you end up in...

We live our lives according to our present which is happening right now...time is passing but its not something we physically see so. The past is what influences the direction it will go in to create the future when see for ourselves...(the power of thought and vision)

So IF we could travel through time to change the past we could only ever influence events like a drop in the water we will only know the tidal wave that it caused later on when it sweeps over us, but we can't see ahead in that time when that will happen...(the butterfly effect.)

IE, what if Hitler did die just a year earlier than 1945??? The Nazi's were still in power...but what if someone who held a different vision took over...the war could have ended (Germany thrown into an internal power struggle much sooner) or it could have taken a different direction with fresh leadership that caused it to escalate and the allies to lose the entire war (a leader who was willing to push further than even Hitler...)
After all you had three other potential powers (Italy and Russian, and Japan) that were just as much a threat as Germany...

So our current world could be better than it is now...or much much worse...

I may not be making any sense...Time to call in Arthur Dent..

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 25-02-2008 at 11:17.
No new posts 25-02-2008 11:13 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Don't worry Ebony. If you did make sense, you wouldn't be here, hee, hee. As for that last line, I like it and it almost could start off a poem.

No new posts 25-02-2008 11:17 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm nuts I know...

What is the answer to life the universe and everything?...42!

But what is the question...lets go and ask the mice..ROTFL!

No new posts 25-02-2008 11:19 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

But think about it, its only changed because of your memory of the event...if you went into a time and changed a simple thing without knowing that the person was a vital part in an event happening...
Like you killed the person who was suppose to deliver an important letter to Churchill...he didn't get the letter so the battle went ahead...Doh2The allies lose a major battle that would have been won if the information reached him on time.... Churchill gets pushed out of government and the war is lost...

You could have changed the future...and not even know that you did...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 25-02-2008 at 11:25.
No new posts 25-02-2008 11:22 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

So many theories and so little time.

Here's another question for you. If do have a time travel device of any kind (De Lorean being my favourite) and change 1 thing, come back and find it unsatisfactory, then you go back again to change another thing and so forth, would you go a bit loopy and what would the universe/s be like?

Star Trek Voyager did just that in a 2 parter episodes Year of Hell part 1 and part 2.

Also if you did travel back in time and change something, then would disappear and possibly reappear in that new timeline not knowing that you went back in time and changed it?

No new posts 25-02-2008 12:06 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
But think about it, its only changed because of your memory of the event...if you went into a time and changed a simple thing without knowing that the person was a vital part in an event happening...
Like you killed the person who was suppose to deliver an important letter to Churchill...he didn't get the letter so the battle went ahead...Doh2The allies lose a major battle that would have been won if the information reached him on time.... Churchill gets pushed out of government and the war is lost...

You could have changed the future...and not even know that you did...

I have just found this for you.

No new posts 25-02-2008 12:18 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Metaliant
I also remember a third theory of time travel. I don't know the name but basically if you go back in time, where you change something, time kinda finds a way to keep the orginal timeline and keeps on doing just that, when you keep going back changing time.

The second theory I posted in my previous post reminds me of a scene in the Timecop film and TV series and also a short story from a book I read as a kid.

In the book, there is a time travel safari, whose HQ was nice and clean, wherre a group of hunters would hunt dinosauers on a path, which they are told, they must stay on because if they step off and even tread on a blade of grass, then time would change in some way.

I can't exactly remember what made one hunter step on the grass, but the outcome was, when they got back, time changed completely and the time travel HQ was dirty and run down and the president had changed from one person to another.

I think the moral of the story FB, is if you have the chance to change time, then don't or else, the conquences could be a lot worse.

actually met I only want to go back a couple of months and say No to something instead of Yes because then I would not get walked all over by colleagues

No new posts 25-02-2008 14:45 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

You just never know with time travel. Even couple of months, something could happen, whether it's good or bad.

I think that's why Sci-Fi writers, TV shows and films use them sometimes.

No new posts 25-02-2008 17:39 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
kimiko kimiko is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 23-09-2007

spacer

Wow...You guys just fried my brains...All I can say guys is....

I like thzsoup! Thzsoup is good...Do you like thzsoup?

No new posts 25-02-2008 19:29 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Oh oh, someone's gone back in time and did something to change kimiko. Now where's that De Lorean.

No new posts 25-02-2008 20:43 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

Yes Met was that you????

My time machine is in for repairs at the moment...

No new posts 25-02-2008 21:00 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Nope not me, though it could have been either of us from the future.

No new posts 25-02-2008 23:46 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

My future self told me to get on with it or I'll never get there...my past self is still dealing with issues...my present self is just confused by the two of them arguing all the time...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 26-02-2008 at 01:46.
No new posts 26-02-2008 01:46 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Toneman Toneman is a Male
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

10 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-11-2007

spacer

How familliar that sounds...

::Toneman looks in the mirror...::

Gatch Eagle Gatch

No new posts 26-02-2008 06:06 Toneman is offline Send an Email to Toneman Search for Posts by Toneman Add Toneman to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: