Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Episode of the Week » Gatchaman Episode 99 – The Wounded G-2
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman Episode 99 – The Wounded G-2
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Gatchaman Episode 99 – The Wounded G-2 Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Gatchaman Episode 99 – The Wounded G-2

We open with Katse’s Devilstar Pod flying through the sky. Inside the venerable Galactor Leader is… stubbing out a cigarette.

Clearly Katse is quite the role model for young children who wish to emulate villainous behavior. Wink

“Are we at Secret Base Beta yet?” Katse asks a nearby goon. Do I even want to know what happened to Secret Base Alpha?

“I don’t know, Sire.” the goon replies. “I think we should be there soon. Should I ask someone about it, my Lord?”

“Tell them to speed up, Brainiac!” Katse grabs the goon on the head and tries to tear his ears off.

“Ow, my ears! Ow!” screams the goon, as he hops away.

“I’m surrounded by useless nimrods and incompents.” sighs Katse. “It’ll take forever to conquer the world like this!”

“I’m going to shake them up and straighten out their acts, right now!” he decides, slamming his palm down on the table.”

“Secret Base Beta is one of Galactor’s latest war bases.” the narrator informs us. “As of yet, unable to accomplish his goal of world conquest, Katse hurries to Secret Base Beta to personally take control of the command.”

And now we cut to our heroes!

“Altitude 12,000! Distance from the God Phoenix, 350 kilometers.” Jun reports, looking at her radar screen. “Ken, the blimp has just stopped!”

“All right, keep watch on that spot.” Ken orders.

“There’s no doubt about it. That’s their secret base all right.” Joe states.

“I’ll bet you’re right.” Jun agrees.

“Bet you didn’t know we were following you, did you, Katse?” Ken smirks as he thinks to himself. “Just you wait.”

Inside Secret Base Beta, Katse is speaking to his troops.

“It has been a year and 10 months since we began our quest for world domination!” Katse announces. “Yet we can’t even dominate the Science Ninja Team: a bunch of snotty-nosed kids in bird suits!”

“And, do you know why?” Katse shouts. “It’s because you don’t have the guts!”

But Katse is suddenly interrupted by the voice of Leader X.

“You are the coward!”

The goons gasp in amazement.

“Gatchaman has followed you, and is closing in on our base, fool!” X sneers.

“I… I had no idea!” Katse is none too pleased to hear this news.

“Protect this base at all costs! Kill the Science Ninja Team!” X’s orders are very clear.

“Sire, my apologies!” Katse bows as X disappears. “Oh, no…” He turns to his troops.

“For crying out loud, don’t just stand there!” he screams. “Man your battle stations!”

And the God Phoenix approaches, unaware that Katse has been alerted to their presence.

Everyone is surprised to see a ruined fortress in the middle of the desert.

“Look, it’s an old fortress!” Ryu exclaims, in case you didn’t know what it was.

“Stay frosty, Ryu!” Ken warns. “Their sensor array may already have detected our approach by now.”

“Way ahead of you!” Ryu replies. “Already on it!”

Sure enough, guns appear in the fortress’ windows, and they begin shooting at the God Phoenix.

One blast in particular lights up the Bridge with a flash of light, and Joe reels back.

He falls to the floor.

Jinpei falls into Jun’s lap. I guess he thought she was a chair, since she doesn’t have a Phoenix logo on her chest today!

“Ryu, get closer! I’m going to blast them!” Joe orders, stumbling back to the front of the Bridge.

“10-4!”

“That’s it…” Joe says, but then his expression becomes one of shock!

The fortress is blurring in front of him!

He hesitates, his hand over the button.

“Hey, Joe, what’s the matter?” Ken cries.

“Nothing…” Joe says weakly.

“If you don’t hurry up, we’re toast!” Ryu adds.

“Don’t be in such a rush! I want to hold off until we’re close enough for a sure thing!” Joe snaps.

But he’s still having trouble with his vision.

“Joe, what’s wrong?” Jun asks, coming up from behind. But Joe elbows her away.

“Lay off!” he shouts, as he tries to aim again. But his vision is still blurry.

“Oh no!” he mutters, then he closes his eyes and blindly presses the red button.

The Super Bird Missile looks like it’s going off course, then it hits the top of the fortress. The fortress begins crumbling.

There is a big explosion, and goons begin running away in fear.

The God Phoenix lands, and the Science Ninja Team gets out. Much of the fortress is still standing.

“Gee, so do you think we’re close enough for a good shot now, Joe?” Ryu taunts.

“Joe, you totally missed!” Jinpei exclaims. “You missed so bad, it’s like you did it on purpose!”

“No way!” Jun disagrees. “Right, Joe?”

But Joe can’t answer.

“You know, it’s strange that one simple explosion like that was enough to make them flee.” Ken notes.

“Nah, they probably all got blown away, and then were knocked unconscious.” Ryu disagrees. Um… so first they get blown away and then they’re unconscious? Okay…

“We might find some clues inside, so let’s check it out.” Ken says. Everyone runs to follow him inside… except Joe. He pauses, and then follows.

“It goes underground!” Jun notes, as they move inside and come to a long stairway down.

“Come on.” Ken urges.

“Far out, it’s an underground prison!” Jinpei exclaims, as they see barred cells. “I’d freak out if I was put in a place like this!”

Ken checks for danger.

“Wait up!” he says, his suspicions aroused. He pulls out a handful of mini-bombs.

He throws them around a corner, where they explode.

Sure enough, a goon comes stumbling out. How did he survive the explosion?

The goon falls in his delirium, and begins shooting. This is apparently the signal for a bunch of other goons to come out on the balcony and begin shooting as well.

Fight scene!

Ken leaps at two goons.

The goes after some others.

Joe pulls out his cablegun.

He shoots, knocking out two goons with the crescent blade. He flies up to the balcony and attacks more goons.

He seems to be doing fine, with no vision issues during the fight.

Jun chops a goon.

Then flashes another trying to look under her skirt.

No new posts 25-10-2010 03:29 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

And suddenly, a goon lands a punch on Joe!

The goon, realizing how incredibly lucky he is, prepares to fire.

Joe doesn’t know what to do.

But Jun smacks the goon with a yo-yo strike.

I like how this scene mirrors the one in episode 105, where Joe saves Jun from a goon.

Jun’s yo-yo continues on and wraps around a set of bars. Ryu helps her pull it down onto the goons nearby.

The fight continues.

Ken ends it by throwing a bunch of minibombs into the last remaining goons.

Cut from BOTP:

A menacing laugh echoes throughout the chamber.

“That’s Leader X’s voice!” Jinpei cries.

“Listen well!” X advises. “This room will be your tomb! Die!” The doors are all suddenly blocked by stone walls.

“Oh no!” Ken cries.

“What do we do?” Jinpei asks. “We’re closed in!”

“Leave it to the strong guy!” Ryu smirks.

“This’ll be totally easy!” he brags, pounding on one of the stone walls.

Of course, he fails utterly in breaking it.

“That’s no good, big guy!” Ken chides. “If they’re going to attack us, they’re going to do it from above.”

Sure enough, sand starts pouring out of holes near the ceiling.

“Look, it’s sand!” Jun says.

“They’re trying to bury us all in sand!” Jinpei cries. “It’s everywhere!”

Interestingly, all of the goon bodies seem to have disappeared. Where did they go?

“Come on, let’s break a hole in the ceiling with the Tornado Fighter!” Ken orders.

Immediately, everyone gets into position.

Jinpei announces the name of the maneuver, and they all get spinning. Joe seems to be having some trouble…

Colored spots flash across blackness in front of his eyes. Eventually, it is too much for him to bear, and he falls out of the Tornado.

Everyone lands on the ground.

“Is something wrong, Joe?” Jun asks, concerned.

Hey, where’s the sand? Did the aborted Tornado Fighter blow it away?

“Sorry, I just screwed that one up.” Joe apologizes.

“What’s wrong with you, Joe?” Ryu asks, but his face (and everyone else’s) is blurring before Joe’s eyes. “You’ve been acting a little strange.”

“Well, even I can mess up once in awhile.” Joe grunts, standing up. “All right, let’s go again.”

“You all right?” Ken asks.

“I’m fine.” Joe says.

“Let’s try it again!” Ken orders.

Everyone gets back in position. Jinpei announces the name of the maneuver again, and off they go.

Joe’s still having a difficult time, but it looks like he’s gritting his teeth and dealing with it.

The Tornado Fighter manages to break through a grating at the ceiling, surprising a goon who was sitting on it! I guess he didn’t hear Jinpei announcing their maneuver. Either time.

Joe can’t hold on any longer, and he falls out of the Tornado Fighter again.

He doesn’t land well.

“You all right, Joe?” Ryu asks, running over, stepping on the goon’s head as he does so.

“Sorry about that.” Joe mutters.

“Joe, you should go back to the God Phoenix and wait.” Ken orders.

“Give me a break, I’m fine!” Joe insists, but as he stands, he stumbles. Ryu has to catch him.

“Easy.” Ryu says.

“It’s nothing!” Joe insists, yet his vision is blurring more than ever.

“I think you’re tired. Now stand by in the God Phoenix. That’s an order, Joe!” says a blurry Ken.

“Whatever, Leader.” Joe grumbles.

Elsewhere…

“What? They escaped unarmed?” X isn’t pleased with this news.

“If it was really so easy to trap them, we would have already won this thing a long time ago, don’t you think?” Katse needles X.

“Do you dare lecture me?” X snarls.

“My apologies, Sire.” Katse backtracks.

“This is our chance!” X rants. “If you have time to complain, then you have time to finish them off!”

Do you like the ‘X frame’ around the chicken-head’s image here?

“Yes, Sire!”

Immediately, Katse contacts his men.

“Imbeciles! What do you think you’re doing?” Katse screams. “The Science Ninja Team has escaped! After them!” A bunch of goons run off.

“Lord Katse sure seems impatient lately.” one goon remarks to another.

“Hmph I’m not surprised at all!” another goon responds.

“Guess he’s frustrated with the whole ‘world conquest’ thing.” the first goon suggests.

“Sure isn’t looking too good, that’s for sure!” the second goon agrees. And a moment later, we see how right he is.

“It’s Gatchaman!” shouts the second goon, reaching for his gun. But Ken throws his boomerang and takes out both goons at once. When it comes back, he twirls it around in an arrogantly showy maneuver before re-holstering it. Guess he learned something from his Dad after all.

“Get up! What’s in that room?” Ken grabs the first goon and questions him.

“Well, it’s… it’s…”

“Spill it!” Ryu whacks the goon on the head.

The goon’s belt buckle opens up, and a key is revealed.

“Wait, you can’t have that!” the goon exclaims, as Ken gingerly removes the key. I guess he’s nervous about touching the goon ‘below the belt’? Wink

“You can’t go in!” the goon makes a final protest.

“Close your pie hole, Fang Face!” Ryu smacks the guy again. I can tell he’s enjoying this new role of ‘tough guy’.

Ken unlocks the door to the next room, and the Science Ninja Team enters.

“What the heck is this place?” Ryu wonders. I’m wondering too, because it’s very dark, and you can’t see much, other than that it has a high ceiling.

No new posts 25-10-2010 03:30 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Now we see the Team walking down a corridor, and Ryu sniffs at some boxes.

“Hey, Ken, you thinking what I’m thinking?” Ryu asks.

“Let’s see what’s inside them.” Ken agrees. I guess since they’re Japanese and all, they can’t read the word ‘Danger’ on the boxes.

“Oh yeah!” Ryu grins, punching the boxes.

Sure enough, bundles of dynamite and a couple of bombs roll to his feet.

“Look, it’s dynamite!” Ryu exclaims.

“It’s gunpowder!” Jinpei adds. “An ammunition dump!”

“You ain’t kidding!” Ken says. Everyone looks up, and they see that the pile of ammunition boxes is bigger than the God Phoenix.

“Ken, let’s set them on fire and blow this base sky high!” Ryu suggests. He’s obviously having fun with his more active role on this mission.

“Kapow!” he illustrates.

“No, wait.” Ken disagrees. “Leader X is here, and we have a chance to find out his secret first.”

Ken looks up to see a large crane.

“I think I’ve got an idea.”

Meanwhile, goons are running through the base, searching for the Team.

“Did you find them?” one group of goons asks another.

“They weren’t this way!”

“Where did they go?”

A pair of goons opens a door.

“See anything?” one of them asks.

“Nobody’s here. Damn it, where’d they go?” his partner snaps.

And now we see that one of them is back on the God Phoenix.

“Can’t believe I have to just sit here and do nothing while Galactor’s right in front of me.” Joe thinks to himself. “This is it. I’m finished with the Science Ninja Team.” This may seem a bit extreme, but given his issues in the previous episode, it’s a reasonable possibility.

He slams his fist onto the console. He opens his eyes, and sees the world still blurring before him.

“Damn it!” he shouts. “Damn it, damn it!”

And then he punches another poor, defenseless console.

Both fists, over and over again. Good thing they made the God Phoenix to withstand this type of thing!

Or did they? Eventually, Joe’s fist breaks a glass covering, and he cuts himself. Blood drips down from his fingers.

“What’s wrong with me?” Joe thinks. “What in the world is happening?”

Commercial Break! In sympathy, Solid Gold Ken wants to offer Joe some of his foil-wrapped choclately goodness.

When we come back, we see that it is brighter now in the ammunition dump. The Science Ninja Team is driving a crane, carrying a box of ammunition.

“I think something’s coming!” a goon says.

“This way! This way!” A bunch of goons line up. And they meet up with the Team.

“Fire!” cries a goon, but another holds him back.

“Wait, what’s that?”

“Oh boy, it’s gunpowder!”

“Let’s get out of here!”

And the goons all turn tail and run.

“Come here!” Ryu says, manipulating the crane’s controls.

He swings the box, knocking the goons down, but more appear on a nearby balcony. Notice how all of these high-ceilinged Galactor rooms have at least one balcony/catwalk?

“They’re coming from over there too!” Jun announces.

“I got ‘em!” Ryu swings the crate around and knocks down those goons as well.

“Now!” shouts Ken. He and Jinpei leap onto the crate. Jinpei pushes a small box of bombs to the ground.

They explode, killing a couple of goons.

Ken grabs another small box and lands in front of other goons. They simply run away down a set of stairs.

“Bombs away!” Ken drops the box down an elevator shaft next to the stairs. Needless to say, the running goons don’t exactly meet with a good end.

Cut from BOTP:

Jinpei throws another box of ammunition, while Ken decides to just go for some old-fashioned flips and fighting.

Jinpei joins him.

Ken uses his boomerang to slice off a goon’s mask.

A bunch of goons manage to climb onto the crane platform of ammunition boxes.

“Look, Ryu!” Jun exclaims.

“Like cockroaches.” Ryu mutters. He is really enjoying himself.

He drops the entire load, which goes falling to the ground.

“Go!” he cries, and he and Jun leap out of the crane.

Katse’s not happy when he learns about this.

“Lord Katse, it’s no use!” a goon comes on the screen. “There’s nothing we can do! We have to get out of here right away!”

“Damn it, I’m not going to run away!” Katse curses. Well this certainly is a change from the usual!

“Not ‘till we finish off the despicable Gatchaman!” But Katse’s rant is interrupted.

He turns to run, but is held back by a sharp reprimand.

“Katse!”

Katse turns to look at X’s screen.

“Gatchaman thinks I’m somewhere on this base.” X reveals. How does he know this?

“Lure the Science Ninja Team into our special room.” X orders. “And cast them into the magma!”

“Sire…” Katse goes to a wall panel and presses a button. In a hallway, a door lights up with an ‘X’ symbol.

“Hey, Big Bro, take a look!” Jinpei calls.

“What is it?” Ken asks, but even he can see for himself. “The secret to Leader X could be inside that room. We’ve got to go check it out!”

And so they do.

As they approach, the door rises of its own accord. Of course, this doesn’t make anyone suspicious, even though they’ve had to break into every other room in this place.

They all enter, only to see a small, circular room.

“Looks like no one’s here.” Ken says.

“Seems completely empty.” Jun notes. “I wonder what it’s for?”

“For your grave, of course!” Katse’s voice laughs.

“It’s Berg Katse!” Ken yells. “Get out!”

But as usual, the doors are slamming down behind them. Don’t these guys ever learn?

“It’s a trap!” Ken screams, pounding his fists on the doors. Ryu tries to run them down, but of course it doesn’t work. Second time this episode his strength hasn’t been enough to open a door.

“You rat fink! Come back and fight like a man!” Jinpei screams, but he is suddenly thrown off his feet as the room starts to move rapidly.

The room is spinning, and acting like a centrifuge. The members of the Science Ninja Team are forced to the walls.

“You’ve finally fallen into my trap!” Katse smirks. “That room is now spinning right toward the hottest part of hell!”

And we can see that indeed, it isn’t a room, but some kind of massive drill.

“And as strong as you are, even you can’t move against the crushing centrifugal force!” Katse grins. “A lake of burning hot lava waits underneath your feet!”

Okay, I am not a scientist, but even I know that it would be magma, because it’s only lava after it has come out of a volcano.

“Tell Beelzebub Katse sent ya!” Katse gloats.

But the centrifugal force can’t be that bad, because the Team has managed to move away from the walls. They’re not in good shape, though.

“Oh, my ears!” Jinpei moans. “My ears feel so weird!”

No new posts 25-10-2010 03:31 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Jun starts falling unconscious.

“There’s still one left in the God Phoenix in front of the base.” Katse tells a goon. “Blow him to Kingdom Come, Finkelmeyer.” How does Katse know that Joe is there? Granted, he doesn’t see him in the drill with the others, but still…

“Oh yeah!” Finklemeyer is ready for this assignment!

Back in the drill…

“Damn it!” Ken cries. “The G-Forces!” Oh, if only he knew the irony of that statement…

“Joe, it’s me! Do you read me?” Ken calls on his bracelet. “Come in, Joe!”

“10-4!” Joe responds.

“We fell into a Galactor trap, and the entire dome we’re in is heading straight down toward hot magma!” Ken explains.

“What was that?” Joe can’t believe it. Or maybe he’s having trouble hearing. He is clearly weak.

“There’s only one way for us to escape!” Ken goes on, then pauses. “What’s wrong, Joe?”

“It’s nothing! What’s your plan?” Joe gasps.

“Okay, listen up!” Ken says. “Set a Super Bird Missile’s timer for 30 seconds. Then fire it under the dome! Hurry up!”

“What?” Joe is stunned.

“What do you mean, what?” Ken rants.

“If I miss, you’ll never come back out alive, Ken!” Joe gasps.

“Then I guess you had better not miss!” Ken snaps.

“I’m not sure I can… what if I can’t do it?” Joe has doubts. “I’m not sure I can do it!”

“What are you talking about? You’re Mister Self-Confidence, Joe!” Ken shouts.

But then he recalls Joe’s problems earlier with the Tornado Fighter.

“Do it, Joe! We’re putting our lives in your hands!”

“Do it!” Ken shouts again. “Do it! There’s no other way!”

“I understand…” Joe says weakly.

Despite his blurry vision, Joe manages to set a timer on the Super Bird Missile for 30 seconds.

Check out that high tech timer!

Meanwhile, the goons are approaching the God Phoenix.

“There it is, hurry!” a goon calls.

“This is our perfect chance to destroy the God Phoenix!” another says.

Now we can see that it is a wave of crab tanks approaching.

Inside, Joe is struggling, but he has made it back to the Bridge.

“Joe, aren’t you ready yet?” Ken nags via bracelet. I guess he can be forgiven for his impatience, under the circumstances and all. Wink

“I know. I’m on it!” Joe replies. “I’m on it!”

But even as Joe’s on it, crab tanks are climbing up the God Phoenix’s landing gear.

Joe pulls on the piloting lever.

And the God Phoenix takes off, leaving a trail of crab tanks in its wake.

Joe struggles, but is in control.

“Ken, I’m standing by! What’s the target?” Joe asks.

“I’ll send out a Birdscramble. Just fire in that direction!” Ken instructs.

Joe gets the signal and starts moving toward it.

“It is about 6,400 kilometers from the Earth’s crust to its core.” the narrator decides that this is a good time to pop in with relevant geological facts. “And every thousand meters you descend, the temperature triples.”

The Team doesn’t look like they are enjoying this monologue.

But notice that Ken and Jun are holding hands!

“It is said that at a depth of 50 kilometers, even metals and rocks melt.” the narrator adds.

“Suffer!” Katse cackles to himself. “Suffer slowly! And die!”

In the God Phoenix, Joe is aligning with his target.

“Here we go…”

But suddenly, the target is blurry!

“Damn it, why is this happening now? I’m useless!” Joe grabs his head and shakes it.

He screams in frustration.

“Joe is going to save us soon!” Ken tells the others in the drill. “Stay alert! Don’t let it get to you! We’ve got to fight it, understand? So stay strong! Fight it!”

“If you understand, then answer…” Ken blacks out and slides down the wall.

Joe is still struggling with his blurry vision.

“Please, please,” Joe begins bargaining with whatever higher power he believes in, “I just need one second… one second of clarity… come on!”

And suddenly… his vision clears.

Joe pounds his fist on the red button, and the Super Bird Missile is fired!

It crashes into the ground right where a line of crab tanks are heading back to the base.

Suddenly, Joe realizes that the God Phoenix is about to crash into the ground too!

But he pulls back on the lever just in time to avoid disaster.

“They’ll be plunging into magma now.” Katse says to himself.

But he suddenly sees something else on his radar screen.

“What’s going on?” he asks.

What’s going on is that the Super Bird Missile stopped the drill.

The drill stops rotating.

“It’s stopped! We’ve got to get out of here!” Ken tells everyone, knowing that they only have 30 seconds. “Hurry up, or we’re all going to die!”

“Lord Katse, emergency!” a goon reports. “A Super Bird Missile was fired toward the underground magma, and it’s directly beneath us!”

“What? That’s going to explode!” Katse takes off running, the goon right behind him. So much for his determination earlier this episode to see this out to the end!

Back in the drill capsule…

“Let’s strike at the ceiling at the same time!” Ken orders.

“Big 10, Ken!”

Everyone throws their weapons (with explosives inside) at the ceiling.

They take cover…

And they’re free!

“Let’s go!” Ken screams. “Ninja Technique…”

“Twin Somersault!” Jun finishes.

Ken leaps up to a perch, then grabs Jun’s hands as he approaches.

He throws her upward, giving her more momentum.

Then she returns the favor.

Ryu is throwing Jinpei.

But while Jinpei shoots up, no one is left to help poor Ryu, who has to hop up on his own.

How many kilometers did they descend into the Earth, again?

However many it was, the Team covers that ground quickly, escaping just before the flames from the Super Bird Missile’s explosion reach them. The goons aren’t so lucky.

Cut from BOTP:

The Team runs outside, and everyone ducks behind a sand dune to shelter themselves from the exploding base.

“Man, that was too close for comfort!” Ryu says.

Just as he relaxes, a piece of the fortress nearly lands on him!

“All right, Joe!” Jinpei shouts.

Sure enough, the God Phoenix is approaching. Joe is doggedly holding onto the piloting lever. Everyone jumps aboard.

“Joe?” Jinpei asks, and suddenly Joe collapses.

No new posts 25-10-2010 03:45 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

We cut back to the exploding base, and we can see Katse’s Devilstar pod escaping.

“Leader, unfortunately, they got away.” Katse admits. “Again…I beg you! Please forgive me! Leader…. please?”

But X does not respond.

“Well… say something… anything!” Katse begs. “Even if you have to yell… Please, won’t you say something? Just one word…? One?”

“Imbecile…” X sighs sadly, before disappearing. At least he granted Katse’s request for a word. Big Grin

Katse collapses, clearly distraught.

Back on the God Phoenix…

“You’ve got some pretty good skills, Joe!” Ryu admits. “I never knew you could pilot the God Phoenix so well.”

But Ken isn’t paying attention. Instead, he notices the broken glass on the console, and looks to Joe.

“What say we take turns in the future?” Ryu asks Joe. I’d say it was a joke, but Ryu enjoyed himself on this mission so much, I’m betting he’s somewhat serious!

“Sure, whatever, Ryu.” Joe mumbles. “I’ll think about it…”

But Ken now notices the blood on Joe’s hand.

“Something is wrong… with Joe!” Ken thinks.

Thanks to Joe, Ken and the others were rescued, but his heart continues to suffer, because he knows that his condition would put the lives of the Science Ninja Team at risk. But the day when they will destroy Galactor is close at hand. Until that day comes, hang in there, Joe!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 25-10-2010 at 15:20.
No new posts 25-10-2010 03:45 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

BOTP Episode 70 – Strike at Spectra

Here at Center Neptune, deep beneath the ocean’s surface, Zark guards the galaxies against all threats of invasion from alien invaders.

“But being constantly underwater, as we are, some of us are subject to the adverse effects of dampness.” Zark explains, reaching for his oil can. “Every so often, I have to take a small shot of rust inhibitor, to keep moisture from collecting on my tubular memory rectifiers.” Zark oils his armpit. I guess that’s the location of his ‘tubular memory rectifiers’?

“Ah… one squirt, and I’m good for the whole day!” he gloats. Except that he just gave himself about two dozen squirts. Is he overdosing or just ‘lubing up’ for the next 2 weeks?

A call comes in.

“Center Neptune Control. 7-Zark-7!”

“Zark,” Susan breathes huskily, “Susan here, on Planet Pluto. I have an early warning. I am picking up a flying saucer hovering in the vicinity of Planet Spectra!”

So let me get this straight… even though they’re a planet with space-travel technology, it’s highly unusual to see a flying saucer hovering around the planet? Enough that Susan has to report it to Zark?

Zark doesn’t even bother with the antennae erection today, but simply gets up and freaks out.

“That must be Zoltar!” Zark gasps. “Do you suppose his spies tipped him off that G-Force is on the way to attack Spectra at this very moment?”

“Are they really?” Susan wants the low-down.

“Yes!” Zark exclaims, happy to have the scoop.

“I didn’t know that.” Susan replies.

“Well… it’s very hush-hush.” Zark admits. Too bad you just blabbed about it, Zark!

“I wouldn’t want it to get any farther than Pluto, Susan.” Zark belatedly tries to control his mess.

“Ooh! I won’t let it get outside the solar system!” Susan’s just happy to be in the know. “Depend on it!”

“Good.” Zark replies happily… so he spills more. “We received secret information that Spectra was about to attack us!”

“Oh!” Susan exclaims in shock and awe.

“So, we thought, why do we always wait for Spectra to come down here and make trouble? Let’s go up there and stop them before they get started!” Zark does his best impersonation of a tough guy and fails miserably.

“Brilliant reasoning!” Susan gushes. “It must have been your idea, Zark.”

“Uh, thank you… Susan… I did give it a … little input…” Zark stammers. “Well, I’d better turn on my monitor right now and see if I can pick up Zoltar’s flying saucer!”

“Check you later, Zark.” Susan coyly says goodbye.

Now we see Zark’s monitor, which is displaying the usual white dot moving across the blackness of space. Except today the dot is going left to right, instead of right to left.

“I’m starting to home in on that saucer, and I’m very much afraid it’s…” Zark pauses as we see a shot of the Devilstar. Strangely, it has a backdrop of blue sky, even though a moment ago it was supposedly in space.

“Yes, I’m almost positive it’s… no doubt about it! It’s Zoltar!” Zark exclaims. We see Zoltar pacing in some kind of conference room. There’s a small dish on a nearby table the might be an ashtray, but it’s too blurry to be certain.

“But who can anticipate his fiendish plans?” Zark asks. “I’d better get in touch with G-Force, way off in outer space!”

“Space is terribly big.” Zark lectures. “In fact, there’s no end to it!” And we get to see a shot of… space.

“But with my highly sensitive cosmic scanner, I’ll pick up the Phoenix wherever it is!” Zark says. “There it is!” Indeed, on Zark’s monitor the white dot moving through space shot is now going left to right.

“It’s just left our galaxy: the Milky Way. 7-Zark-7 calling Phoenix! Commander!”

“Phoenix to Center Neptune! I read you, Zark!” comes Mark’s voice. “What’s up down there? Or should I say, what’s down up there?”

“I wanted to let you know I’ve spotted Zoltar’s flying saucer lurking in the sky over Planet Spectra.” Zark replies. “He may know you’re heading there!”

“Big 10, Zark. We’ll stay on our toes. Now going into radio silence. Over and out.” Is that Mark’s way of telling Zark not to bother him with any more unwanted calls?

“Over and out, good buddy!” Zark says. “And, good luck!”

“Well, they’re heading for Crab Nebulae.” Zark slips back into his voiceover narrator role. “And deep in the center of it is Planet Spectra. I’ll be out of contact with them now, for security reasons. I certainly hope everything goes according to plan!”

Boy, we’re sure spending a lot of time flying through space. It makes me wonder how much actual Gatchaman footage is left in this episode!

Now we see the Phoenix flying over clouds.

“We’re approaching sonrad contact with our objective!” Princess reports. I’m not sure what ‘sonrad’ is. A combination of sonar and radar, perhaps? Weird…

“Contact made!” Princess calls.

“Maintain bearing.” Mark orders.

“We hit this one right on the nose!” Jason says.

“Right.” Princess agrees.

“Now, if we can hit Zoltar on the nose.” Mark grins nastily as he thinks to himself.

But Zoltar is receiving a warning at that very moment, as he speaks with the Great Spirit.

“Zoltar, the enemy approaches!” the Luminous One says. “Are you prepared?”

“Yes, Spirit!” Zoltar replies, although the expression on his face seems to indicate that he’s been completely taken by surprise.

“You must not fail! Do you understand?” the Luminous One says, before fading out.

“Yes, Great Spirit!” Zoltar bows, but then he cringes, He turns, and we can see a number of goons below him, apparently waiting for orders.

“Take your places and prepare to attack!” Zoltar orders.

“Sir!” The goons salute and run off.

The Phoenix approaches a strange fortress coming out of a desert.

“That innocent-looking castle is Spectra’s primary base!” Mark tells Tiny. “Be careful.”

“Don’t worry.” Tiny replies.

Of course, guns emerge from the fortress and begin shooting at the Phoenix, but Tiny avoids the shots. However one flash of light comes across the screen and Jason falls to the floor.

“Oh, my head!” he exclaims, although it doesn’t look like he hit his head.

“They were ready for us!” Jason says, getting up and moving back to the front of the Bridge. “Well, I’m ready!” He puts his finger over the red button.

“Ah!” he exclaims. His vision is blurry!

“My head! What’s happening to my vision?” he thinks. He pauses, the Phoenix still under fire.

“Come on, Jase!” Mark urges.

“You waiting for permission?” Tiny needles.

“I’m the gunner and you’re the driver, so just keep your eye on the road and drive!” Jason retorts. But he’s still having trouble seeing the target.

“Jason!” Princess says, coming up and touching his shoulder. He elbows her back, but doesn’t say anything.

“Unh… oh…” he groans. Then he closes his eyes and presses the button. At first it looks like the missile is going to miss, but then it hits the very top of the castle. We have no indication that anyone inside was hurt.

Now the Phoenix lands and the Team is on the ground. The guns have apparently stopped firing.

“This was a nice place until Jason punched it full of holes!” Tiny says.

“Turned it… into… Swiss cheese!” Keyop burbles. Strangely, all of the ‘holes’ in the castle looks rectangular… like windows. Not missile damage.

“Good shooting.” Princess says, but her face looks worried.

“If they only knew.” Jason thinks.

“We’ve crunched the building, but their troops are still playing possum inside.” Mark says.

“Don’t worry, we’ll smoke them out.” Tiny says.

“We’re flies going into the spider’s web.” Mark disagrees. Everyone runs inside, except Jason. He bows his head, then slowly follows.

Inside, everyone walks through a cavernous area.

“Eerie!” Princess says.

“Dank.” Mark adds. They come to a prison area.

“Does this… mean… no trespassing?” Keyop burbles. Mark looks around, then holds Tiny back.

“Wait.” the Commander orders. We see a shadow lurking around a corner and hear a faint echo of Zoltar’s laugh.

“Broot… Zoltar!”

“My congratulations, G-Force!” Zoltar says over some kind of communications system they can’t see. “You are now standing in your own prison!” Sure enough, stone walls come down and close off the doorways.

Commercial break!

When we return, we see the stone walls coming down again, and everyone on the Team looking shocked.

“Trapped… broot… like rats!”

“Speak for yourself! No problem!” Tiny boasts, making muscle-man poses as he approaches a door. He starts pounding on it, but is unable to damage it. He slides to the floor.

“Zoltar has us boxed in.” Mark says. “Now what else does he have up his sleeve?” To answer that question, sand begins pouring out of holes at the ceiling.

“Water!” Princess says.

“All around… but not a drop… to drink!” Keyop burbles. Um… it sure looks like sand to me, but if they say it’s water… well, I guess it’s yellow, grainy water.

“Well it looks like it’s Whirlwind Pyramid time.” Mark says. Everyone gets together.

“Okay, spin it!” Keyop cries, and off they go.

“Aaaaah!” Jason screams. Colored dots dance across the blackness in front of his eyes. He falls, and everyone else does too. We don’t see Jason land, but when the others do, he’s lying on the ground.

“You all right?” Princess asks.

“I’m fine. I just slipped.” Jason says, but his vision is blurring again.

“Maybe you got ahold of a bad Spaceburger.” Tiny suggests.

“I suppose the rest of you are perfect.” Jason snaps, getting up. “What’s the holdup? Let’s move it!”

“Go!” Mark orders, and everyone gets into position again.

“Ready… root… on top!” Keyop calls, and the spinning begins again.

No new posts 25-10-2010 03:46 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Jason grits his teeth, but then starts screaming again. The Whirlwind breaks through the grate at the top of the room, and there’s no goon in sight.

“Hurrah, we made it!” Princess cries from inside the Whirlwind. But just as she does, Jason falls out. This time we see him land, and it doesn’t look good. Everyone else lands beside him. No one has to go running across the room and step on a fallen goon’s head, or anything like that.

“Straight answer, buddy. Are you okay?” Mark asks.

“Forget it!” Jason says, standing up. But he falls back and Tiny has to catch him.

“I’m fine!” Jason insists, although his vision is blurring again.

“Don’t play hero.” Mark lectures. “You’re returning to the Phoenix right now.”

“Okay.” Jason sadly bows his head. Wow, even for a wounded man, that’s just a little too Condor-submissive for me.

Meanwhile, Zoltar is communicating with his men.

“Our prisoners have broken loose!” Zoltar says. “Search the castle, till you find and destroy them!” A bunch of goons run off.

Mark now seems to be in some kind of room. He sees a metal door.

“Let’s try this door.” Mark says, bending down. He pulls out a key. It must have come from his belt pouch.

“I sure hope the passkey Zark made for us does the trick!” Princess says, explaining what it is. And of course, she doesn’t have to worry! The key works! Because Zark, even though he’s never been out of his little 2-room space at Center Neptune, knows how to make a passkey that will open random locks on an enemy alien planet in another galaxy.

The Team comes into a large room with cranes in it.

“Weird.” Tiny observes. “Far out!”

Now the Team is going down a corridor made of boxes. Tiny thumps the boxes, even though they clearly say ‘danger’ on them. Interesting how they have an English word on them, but they’re on an alien planet. Hmmm… this could have been a neat plot twist. Maybe Spectra stole the explosives from Earth? But no, this point goes unnoticed by the Team.

“Shall we have a look-see?” Tiny asks, apparently not worried about the ‘danger’ markings.

“Why not?” Mark replies, equally unconcerned.

“Right!” Tiny smashes his fist into a box. Bombs and dynamite fall out.

“Hey look, fireworks!” Tiny exclaims.

“Baaaa… root toot! Not even July!”

“Look at that!” Mark exclaims, as he sees just how freaking huge this pile of boxes is.

“All anyone has to do is just touch off one of those and… wham!” Tiny exclaims. Yeah buddy, and you just ignored the ‘Danger’ signs to punch your fist into it!

“They’ve gathered enough explosive power here to blow up a planet!” Mark says. “We’ve got to shut this place down!”

Outside, goons are running around looking for G-Force.

“Which way now?” one goon asks another.

“Down here!” another goon calls. Goons run down the stairs, and one opens a door.

“Empty!” he says, as he sees the room beyond.

“They’ve got to be somewhere around here!” his partner growls.

Now we segue back to the Phoenix, where Jason is pouting.

“What’s happened to me?” Jason wonders. “Has a little rap on the head finished me for good? I can’t believe it!” He pounds the console. He opens his eyes, and his vision is still blurry.

“Everything is in double!” he exclaims, pounding the wall.

“Please, this can’t be the end of the road!” he thinks. “Not yet!”

Commercial break!

When we return, we see the standard mid-episode Zark pacing.

“My modulators are just about stressed out!” Zark says. “I’m so worried about Jason! He radioed me from the Phoenix, but the transmission was all garbled!” Well, you know there’s a real problem if Jason’s actually turning to Zark for help.

“He said he just got a little bump on the head!” Zark continues. “I think… but I know Jason! He wouldn’t be calling me unless something was wrong!” Zark flies over to his control panel.

“With G-Force maintaining radio silence on Planet Spectra, I probably won’t get through!” Zark says. “But I’m going to stay right here in case they need me!” And something must be wrong with Zark as well, because his usual colored lights aren’t going off when he talks.

Now we see a giant crane driving along, and it’s carrying a bunch of boxes of explosives.

“There are the prisoners!” says a goon, and a bunch of Spectran soldiers runs up to the crane.

“Don’t let them get away!”

“You’re right, those arethe prisoners!”

“Stop right here!”

“Halt, stay where you are!”

But the G-Force Team, on the crane, doesn’t appear to be intimidated.

“Wait a minute… those are explosives!” one brighter-than-average goon notices.

“Look, explosives!” calls another.

“Let’s beat it!” shouts a third, and they all run off.

“Run, turkeys!” Tiny says, moving the crane. The boxes go down.

“Up?” Princess reminds him.

“Going up!” Tiny says, changing direction. “Go for it!” Strangely, Mark and Keyop aren’t around anywhere. Weren’t they just there?

Suddenly, a box crashes open and we see bombs falling out.

“They’ve all escaped!” Tiny calls.

“Let’s go!” Princess says.

“I’m with you!” Tiny agrees. The two jump out of the crane, just before everything explodes.

Zoltar stumbles in his control room, then gets a communication.

“G-Force is attacking our munitions depot, with our own explosives!” a goon reports.

“Go after them!” Zoltar orders. “How can you let a few Earthlings make fools of us?” He walks over to a wall and presses a button.

Elsewhere, a large red X starts glowing on a circular door.

“Zoltar’s… broot… signature!” Keyop exclaims. Clearly he hasn’t had very much schooling, if he thinks Zoltar’s signature begins with an X! Or perhaps this is an oddity of the Spectran language?

“It could be one of Zoltar’s tricks.” Mark says. “But we’d better check it out.”

Everyone moves up and the door opens. Despite suspecting it’s a trap, they all go inside without thinking twice about it. Inside is… an empty room.

“Looks like a lab.” Mark says.

“It could be some sort of space capsule.” Princess says.

“Or perhaps your termination cell!” Zoltar’s voice laughs.

“Cell?” Mark asks calmly. But his face is a mask of rage. He and Tiny run toward the door, but it closes on them.

“Zark’s passkey!” Keyop burbles. “Won’t work!” Um, how does he know? Did they even try it? Maybe he just figured it out because there’s no keyhole?

The room starts moving and everyone is slammed against the walls.

“Welcome to my whirlwind invention!” Zoltar’s voice laughs. “Soon you will be buried alive in the bowels of Spectra! Not only will G-Force be disposed of, but for me, it will be sweet revenge!”

The room looks like a drill, and we can see it burrowing into the Earth. We see Zoltar gloating in his control room, watching the progress of the spinning drill on his screen.

“I shall be able to witness their final descent from here.” Zoltar says. “When they reach Nadir H, the Whirlwind Torpedo will self-destruct!”

Inside the drill, no one is happy.

“Giant… headache!” Keyop burbles.

“Ohhhh!” Princess moans.

“You know the location of the Phoenix. Take whatever troops you need and destroy it!” Zoltar orders a goon from his control room.

“Yes, Zoltar!” the goon salutes before running off.

“Our only hope is Jason.” Mark says, inside the drill, raising his communicator. “Come in, Phoenix. Do you read, Phoenix?”

“I… read…” Jason replies weakly.

“Listen close.” Mark says, forgetting his grammar in the gravity of the moment. “We’re in big trouble! We need your help!”

“All right.” Jason replies, still sounding weak.

“We’re trapped in a ground torpedo.” Mark explains, unaware that Jason is having trouble just standing up.

“Ground torpedo?” Jason asks.

“We’ve had it, unless you can activate our Super Sniper Missile!” Mark says. “Sound off, do you copy, Jason?”

“Co…py…” Jason says slowly.

“Repeat!” Mark says, sensing something’s wrong.

“I’m to activate Super Sniper Missile.” Jason repeats.

“Do it, right now!” Mark orders.

“I’ve got to pull myself together!” Jason says, stumbling toward the door. “I can’t let the Team down when they’re dependent on me!”

“Listen, I know you have a problem!” Mark says over his communicator. “I realized that when you fell out of the Whirlwind Pyramid. But you must overcome it! Activate the Super Sniper Missile! Use the Radio Beam Intersect!”

“Gotta try!” Jason says. He goes into the Missile Bay. His vision is still blurring, but he manages to adjust the missile and return to the Bridge.

“Anything wrong?” Mark calls over their communicators.

“Got some Spectra robots to shake.” Jason replies. Indeed, crab tanks are approaching. They’re climbing up the landing gear. But Jason pulls up on the piloting lever and the ship rises off the ground. The crab tanks fall off and crash into each other, exploding. Good thing they’re robots and not driven by real people!

“Okay, I’m airborne.” Jason says to Mark.

“Good, now get our radio bearing!” Mark orders. He presses his bracelet and transmits a signal. Jason receives the signal and starts heading toward it.

No new posts 25-10-2010 03:47 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Everyone in the drill seems to be having a hard time.

“Farewell, my friends!” Zoltar cackles form his control room. “And good riddance to you!”

“Do it, Jason!” Jason says to himself. He prepares to fire the red button… but his vision is blurry again!

“My comrades… they’re all going to fall to their death because I failed them!” Jason shakes his head.

“Don’t lose your courage!” Mark is telling the rest of the Team. “We’ll have the last laugh yet! Jason will activate the missile. We can count on him. I know!” But then Mark collapses.

On the Phoenix, Jason’s vision is still blurry.

“I’ve got to make an effort, but only a miracle can help me!” Jason says. He shakes his head, and then the miracle happens. His vision clears!

He fires the missile, which plows through some more robot tanks before going into the ground. Jason suddenly realizes that the Phoenix is about to crash into the ground too, and pulls up on the piloting lever.

“Your end is near!” Zoltar gloats, but then he sees something new on his radar screen. “What’s that?”

The Super Sniper Missile stops the Whirlwind Torpedo but going underneath it. The spinning stops.

“Let’s move it!” Mark tells the others. “That Super Sniper’s gonna blow any second!”

“Zoltar!” a goon comes running up to the Spectran Leader. “They scored a lucky hit and blocked the ground torpedo! It will explode!”

“We’d better clear out of here now!” Zoltar calls, running away.

“Are you all ready?” Mark asks inside the drill.

“G-Force!”

Everyone prepares explosives and then throws them at the ceiling. A hole blasts open. When the smoke clears, they jump out.

“Now fly!” Mark orders. And they do. They leap and fly out of the long hole, escaping just before the explosion from the missile hits them. They run outside and jump behind a sand dune for cover.

“Made it in the nick of time!” Tiny says. But just as he starts to relax, he nearly gets hit by some debris.

“Lifeboat!” Keyop squeals, as the Phoenix arrives on the scene. The others jump aboard.

“Hi!” Keyop says, as Jason collapses over the piloting lever.

We get a quick shot of Zoltar’s Devilstar flying away, presumably with all of his men aboard as well.

“Listen, for a novice, you’re not a bad pilot.” Tiny is telling Jason. “But I do have one piece of advice. Always drive with two hands.” But Mark isn’t listening. He’s noticing a broken gauge on the wall control panel. I wonder how it got broken?

“That’s a good tip. I’ll try to keep it in mind for the future.” Jason says. Tiny laughs, but Jason walks away, and doesn’t look so happy.

“Jason has come through a big crisis, but he won’t talk about it for awhile.” Zark voices over. “Mark won’t either, but he understands what Jason went through. The main thing is that G-Force remained intact, and Zoltar is once more defeated!”

This is all that’s said about Jason’s problem. There’s no reassurance from Zark that Jason is ‘just fine’. We’re supposed to assume that the ‘miracle’ that caused Jason’s vision to clear was a permanent solution to the problem, I guess.

And now we’re back at Center Neptune.

“I’m certainly relieved to know that G-Force is on the way home to Neptune Center.” Zark says. I’m not sure why it’s ‘Neptune Center’ and not ‘Center Neptune’ today.

“There are times when they’re far away on dangerous missions across the galaxies that I wish I were human and could join them.” Zark goes on. ‘Then there are other times when I wish they were like me: machines-made, unbreakable, and guaranteed forever!” Hmm… I’d like to test that ‘unbreakable’ claim on you, Zark. Do you mind? Devil1

Susan calls.

“Center Neptune Control. 7-Zark-7!”

“Hi, Zark, this is Susan on Planet Pluto.” Susan says. Zark doesn’t have an antennae erection, but he sounds glad to hear from her.

“Ah!” he sighs happily. “Hi, Susan! I’m glad you called. I want to thank you for sending out that alert on Zoltar’s flying saucer. Everything worked out fine.”

“I’m glad.” Susan replies.

“I’d be lost without you, Susan.” Zark says.

“And I’d be lost without you, Zark.” Susan flirts back.

“Ah…huh… well, I’d certainly be lost without you!” Zark giggles.

“Ah… and I’d absolutely be lost without you.” Susan says coyly.

“For a couple of highly intelligent robots, we get lost awfully easily, don’t we?” Zark notes. He giggles annoyingly as the episode fades out.

No new posts 25-10-2010 03:48 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
“There are times when they’re far away on dangerous missions across the galaxies that I wish I were human and could join them.” Zark goes on. ‘Then there are other times when I wish they were like me: machines-made, unbreakable, and guaranteed forever!” Hmm… I’d like to test that ‘unbreakable’ claim on you, Zark. Do you mind? Devil1

Oh, TJ, you're so evil ... can I join you?!!!Biglaugh1

Thanks again for these great recaps, TJ, and for the awesome screencaps, which accompany them, especially those of the fighting scenes!

Soooo ... Mark had had the common sense of thinking that the marked room could have been a trap, and Ken did not ... Nono1 shame on you, Ken, or, at least, please tell me that you just haven't thought aloud, but have kept your suspicion to yourself!

This episode, referring more to the Gatch one, speaks to me, mostly, in two ways ... I have really enjoyed watching Ryu having a great time on-site, and acting like the tough guy, but, most of all, I so could see the resemblance between Ken's attitude, and concern, towards Joe's condition in this episode, and Joe's same behaviour towards Ken in the last episodes of Gatch F, when the roles had been turned! That's what brotherhood is all about!

As to how might Katse have known that Joe had returned on board the God Phoenix, I think Leader X could have told him so, assuming, always IMO, that Leader X had been able to hear whatever could have been said within the base, as he had, also, already overheard Ken speaking out his thinking about the possibility of Leader X's presence at the premises!

No new posts 25-10-2010 14:51 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

That's a good point, Marie! I hadn't thought about Leader X being able to hear what went on at the base. Although... X wasn't actually *there*, so how could he have heard? Then again, X was the one who warned Katse that the God Phoenix was approaching to begin with. Perhaps X can sense their 'presence'? That would then explain how he knew 'one of them' was on the God Phoenix, yet didn't necessarily understand that Joe might be ill.

Since Beta Base is in a mountainous region, perhaps we could also assume that it is near enough to the Himalayas that X's powers extend to this distance?

What I don't understand is how the Team can just walk into a room without checking the security of the exits... TWICE IN ONE EPISODE! I can sort of forgive them the first time, but the second time they MUST have suspected that it might be a trap! Honestly, I can't believe that they all got trapped in that drill! There's just no excuse... Sigh.

Notice, Mark thought it might be a trap... but he still went in, didn't he????

I never thought about Ken's concern for Joe mirroring Joe's concerns at the end of Gatch F, but you're right. It is an interesting comparison. For me, I enjoy the smaller comparison here of how Jun saves Joe from being shot in combat, while in episode 105, it is Joe who saves Jun from being shot.

No new posts 25-10-2010 15:19 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Another great recap! I love all the close-up caps of Joe's face... Luvu2

quote:

“Close your pie hole, Fang Face!” Ryu smacks the guy again. I can tell he’s enjoying this new role of ‘tough guy’.

“Ken, let’s set them on fire and blow this base sky high!” Ryu suggests. He’s obviously having fun with his more active role on this mission.

“What say we take turns in the future?” Ryu asks Joe. I’d say it was a joke, but Ryu enjoyed himself on this mission so much, I’m betting he’s somewhat serious!

Heh, I'd never quite realized before just how much Joe and Ryu really swap roles in this episode -and it sure does look like Ryu enjoys channeling his inner Condor!

quote:
“Can’t believe I have to just sit here and do nothing while Galactor’s right in front of me.” Joe thinks to himself. “This is it. I’m finished with the Science Ninja Team.” This may seem a bit extreme, but given his issues in the previous episode, it’s a reasonable possibility.

Yes, I think that if Joe was afraid he was going to be permanently relegated to staying behind on the God Phoenix or -worse yet- taken off the Team, he very well might ditch the KNT to go off and fight Galactor as a solo unit (which is sort of what he ends up doing). What I often wonder is if this is the first time, since the Grape Bomber episode, that Joe's had the blurred vision/dizziness problems, or if it's something that's been happening sporadically in between that mission and this one. He does seem pretty caught off guard by the return of his symptoms here, though, so it's most likely the first recurrence -in which case, he is being rather hasty to already be contemplating ditching the Team!

quote:
Eventually, Joe’s fist breaks a glass covering, and he cuts himself. Blood drips down from his fingers.

Clearly this is not the same sort of glass that's used to cover the shiny red Bird Missile button, or Joe would sure have bloody knuckles a lot of the time!

quote:
“Jason!” Princess says, coming up and touching his shoulder. He elbows her back, but doesn’t say anything.

“Unh… oh…” he groans. Then he closes his eyes and presses the button. At first it looks like the missile is going to miss, but then it hits the very top of the castle. We have no indication that anyone inside was hurt.

It always strikes me as odd that no one comments on Jason's rather apparent bad aim here, until I remember that in the BOTPverse, they don't want people to get hurt, so everyone else could easily assume that Jason was aiming to damage the building without killing its occupants (something that would never be assumed of Joe! Laugh1 )

quote:
“I sure hope the passkey Zark made for us does the trick!” Princess says, explaining what it is. And of course, she doesn’t have to worry! The key works! Because Zark, even though he’s never been out of his little 2-room space at Center Neptune, knows how to make a passkey that will open random locks on an enemy alien planet in another galaxy.

Sheesh, I wish they didn't attribute so many "amazing" things to Zark -it just makes him that much more annoying. Everyone hates the prodigy character (especially a child prodigy) who keeps showing up the main characters!

quote:

“Jason has come through a big crisis, but he won’t talk about it for awhile.” Zark voices over. “Mark won’t either, but he understands what Jason went through. The main thing is that G-Force remained intact, and Zoltar is once more defeated!”

This is all that’s said about Jason’s problem. There’s no reassurance from Zark that Jason is ‘just fine’. We’re supposed to assume that the ‘miracle’ that caused Jason’s vision to clear was a permanent solution to the problem, I guess.

In my mind, this Gatch episode is so closely tied to the previous "Grape Bomber" Gatch episode, that I tend to forget that in BOTP, where episodes were more intended to work as stand-alones, that Jason's problems here aren't necessarily linked to anything that happened in the BOTP "G-Force Defector" even though it sure seems like they ought to be. But here, I agree that it seems we're to assume that Jason bumping his head at the beginning of the episode was the cause of his problems, and then he just suddenly recovered.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 25-10-2010 at 19:29.
No new posts 25-10-2010 19:26 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

quote:
Perhaps X can sense their 'presence'? That would then explain how he knew 'one of them' was on the God Phoenix, yet didn't necessarily understand that Joe might be ill.

Since Beta Base is in a mountainous region, perhaps we could also assume that it is near enough to the Himalayas that X's powers extend to this distance?

That could explain a lot! I've always kind of assumed that Leader X could have had vast, perceptional powers!

quote:
Notice, Mark thought it might be a trap... but he still went in, didn't he????

Yep ... you're right! This means that I should reprimand Mark then, more than Ken!

quote:
I never thought about Ken's concern for Joe mirroring Joe's concerns at the end of Gatch F, but you're right. It is an interesting comparison. For me, I enjoy the smaller comparison here of how Jun saves Joe from being shot in combat, while in episode 105, it is Joe who saves Jun from being shot.

Your comparison is more than apt! I won't deny that I love it when these comparisons could be noticed throughout the series! Another good example is the famous slap scene, when Jun returns Ken's words, together with her slap! But, the change in character, and role, between the Eagle and the Condor, from one series to another, has always fascinated me, hence my capturing such similarities!

No new posts 25-10-2010 19:56 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

You two make such good points!

It really is interesting watching Ryu in this episode. He's still his goofy self, but he's clearly become a lot more confident as well, and he eagerly embraces the role of 'secondary male' (not meaning any offense to Jinpei) and backing up Ken as the 'muscle'. We all know how he's been longing to 'get off the God Phoenix' and in this episode it's clear that given the chance, he's more than capable, despite his comedic moments and childlike eagerness.

I don't know if Joe's supposed to have had more problems since Grape Bomber... but I would imagine not too much. You're right, LB, that it seems as if this is a 'sudden return' and not something he was anticipating. I agree that in the BOTP ep the implication seems to be that he hurt his head at the beginning of the episode when he fell, or that the bright lights bothered his vision, but that it was just temporary.

I think you're right, LB... in BOTP, everyone said that Jason's aim was 'good' and they liked 'all of the holes' in the building! ROFL 2

Marie, we love your comparisons of the changing roles of Ken and Joe, and your deep and meaningful perspectives on Gatch F! Huggles

No new posts 25-10-2010 22:48 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I often wondered why they made this episode into BotP when they had no intention (at that time) of using the other ones with Joe's demise.

It sure has left us with lots of plot bunnies!

No new posts 25-10-2010 23:20 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

The episode came in the mail. That was the reason it got the treatment.

(Casey Kasem, Janet Waldo, and Ronnie Schell would love to do those last episodes.)

No new posts 25-10-2010 23:30 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I suspect when they got this episode, the BOTP staff had no idea it was part of an ongoing plot thread. They saw it as self-contained, and wrote their version this way.

Now the next episode I write up (episode 101) is even more confusing with regards to the BOTP treatment...)

No new posts 25-10-2010 23:46 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter
The episode came in the mail. That was the reason it got the treatment.

(Casey Kasem, Janet Waldo, and Ronnie Schell would love to do those last episodes.)

I'd prefer they didn't. I want Jason to stay right where he is.

No new posts 26-10-2010 00:55 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

I agree with you there Becky.

No new posts 26-10-2010 00:57 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

iagree Got to say, that I'm with Becky and CD on that.

Of course, in BotP, he wouldn't die, Mark would tell Tiny to take him back to the ship and be quick and Zark would go on and on about how he'd be all right.

No new posts 26-10-2010 01:15 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
nuni nuni is a Female
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-09-2009

spacer

quote:
I suspect when they got this episode, the BOTP staff had no idea it was part of an ongoing plot thread. They saw it as self-contained, and wrote their version this way.

BOTP aired in 1978, at least 5 years after Gatchaman did in Japan. Do you think the staff got the episodes one at a time? The original series had been completed for so long by then.

No new posts 26-10-2010 02:49 nuni is offline Send an Email to nuni Search for Posts by nuni Add nuni to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: