Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman OAV » Berg Katse (Solaris)...for better or worse?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Berg Katse (Solaris)...for better or worse?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
TheSolarSailor TheSolarSailor is a Male

I am a Galactor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-05-2011

spacer
Berg Katse (Solaris)...for better or worse? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Well, we all know the plot that unfolds around Berg Katse, that he was actually twins at birth merged into one being by Leader X. As a result, he has the ability to morph back and forth between genders, seemingly becoming completely male or completely female at will.

Berg was kind of ruined in this 1994 OVA remake in my opinion. Seeing that there wasn't time to develop his character, they felt the need to address this plot point simply by making Berg overly feminine. If that is all they could do, I think this plot point should have been dropped completely. As presented, it comes across as a distraction and adds nothing to the story. The dub makes this ever worse, voicing Berg with a low, effeminately sultry voice. At least the original Japanese voice didn't hit us over the head in such a manner, being only guilty of adding the effeminate mannerisms via the animation.

The original story for Berg was very original and surprising, but here it all gets lost as no details are given. Here, Berg is reduced to being eccentric for the sake of being eccentric. I hate that. I understand that they were limited in what could be done in such a short running time, but I truly think they should have ditched this element of the character, as it didn't quite work here, relying solely on fan knowledge of the past series. This is a remake, so it should work on it's own right.

Agree or disagree??

No new posts 14-05-2011 14:37 TheSolarSailor is offline Send an Email to TheSolarSailor Search for Posts by TheSolarSailor Add TheSolarSailor to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Since the OAV implies that Galactor is entirely comprised of alien beings, they could have ditched the idea entirely. Given that Katse's first appearance in the OAV is feminine, and the later one could be similarly argued, I wonder if they did so.

The fang-like teeth were a nice touch.

No new posts 14-05-2011 16:24 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I'm with UW here. In the OAV, the Galactors were clearly aliens, and as such Solaris could have been entirely 'normal' for a leader of his race.

No new posts 14-05-2011 17:07 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I forgot about the fangs. Don't forget the muilti-colored fingernail polish.

I thought the voice was creepy.

No new posts 14-05-2011 18:12 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List

I am a Galactor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

That's true about Galactor being aliens...but then I do not get the impression that they were all alien in origin. Maybe I am wrong about that. But let's remember that fang like teeth can be done with humans too! Some people file their teeth, though that sends shivers up my spine to think about!! I still felt like their armies were composed of human beings.

But as far as Berg goes, I really think the depiction of what seemed to be a transsexual was odd. I mentioned that this OVA was what introduced me to the world of Gatchaman, and having viewed it without knowing what was going on in the original show, I found the character odd. I remembered the insinuation that Zoltar was a woman in BOTP, and I assumed that the writers here were just running with that. Of course, then in my internet research I discovered what it was really all about. All in all, I thought the depiction of Berg was rather useless in the context of this version alone.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by TheSolarSailor on 15-05-2011 at 02:13.
No new posts 15-05-2011 02:11 TheSolarSailor is offline Send an Email to TheSolarSailor Search for Posts by TheSolarSailor Add TheSolarSailor to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

They explicitly state in the first episode of the OAVs that Galactor is going to take over the world, destroying the human race, except for a few 'exceptional' human beings. If you recall, Dr. Nambu is kidnapped and an offer is made for him to 'survive' Galactor's purge of Earth.

To me, this implies that all of the Galactors were aliens, but that a small handful of humans were collaborating with them, primarily scientists (not soldiers).

No new posts 15-05-2011 02:31 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Galactor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

You're right. It is nearly as if they took a hint from Battle of the Planets in that regard, making Galactor an invading force where all members are from another world. I guess in watching Gatchaman so much, I was taking a page from the original and forgetting how the new version depicted things. It has been a while since I viewed the OVA, but I will again when I am done revisiting the original series. I just finished up the V2 plan, so I am half way through it all again!

No new posts 15-05-2011 14:42 TheSolarSailor is offline Send an Email to TheSolarSailor Search for Posts by TheSolarSailor Add TheSolarSailor to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: