Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Episode of the Week » Gatchaman Episode 81 – Duel on Galactor Island
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman Episode 81 – Duel on Galactor Island
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Gatchaman Episode 81 – Duel on Galactor Island Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Sorry this posting is a little late. Madhouse going on at home this week.. and next... so not so much internet time.

Gatchaman Episode 81 – Duel on Galactor Island

We see a set of ornately scrolled iron gates, amongst trees and flowers. A strangely dressed man approaches, looking through the gate.

Is he hip? Is he hot? Is he happening? Yes, ladies and gentlemen, these are the ‘in’ clothes on BC Island! (Oops, sorry if I gave the episode’s locale away. It’s in the title, after all.)

Frankly, the golf cap is what has me pound !

The man opens the gate, which is unlocked, walking inside. This is revealed to be a cemetery. The man approaches one of the graves and kneels down to examine it.

“May the spirits of Giuseppe Asakura, and his wife Katerina, rest in peace forever.” the man says. His voice is familiar, but not the tone, which is reverent and hushed, befitting the setting.

The man sits on the ground, and appears lost in thought. He doesn’t hear a man approaching from behind until he calls out.

“Are you a relative, young one?”

The person asking the question is an old man with a cane. In a bizarre way, the silhouette of his hair and hat remind me of Gel Sadra in Gatchaman II.

“No.” the man says quickly, standing up. “Looks like this isn’t the grave I’m looking for.” He waves his hand, using the force, and the old man wanders off, looking for droids.

Oops, sorry, wrong universe…

In fact, the man doesn’t wander off, but quickly flips his cane around. It’s clear that there’s a camera lens in the handle, and we hear a ‘snapshot’ sound.

“I feel sorry for the guy under this grave.” the old man says, moving closer now that he has his evidence. “He was a big boss in Galactor who ruled the Island here ten years ago, but he was assassinated.” The young man seems surprised to hear this.

The old man smirks to himself.

“Even a big Galactor boss like him met a pathetic end, and now it’s been ten years since his death, but no one has ever visited to put flowers on his grave.” the old man observes. “Fate meant for you to stop by. Won’t you leave some flowers on the grave, Sir?” But the young man is walking away.

“Sorry, but it’s really none of my business.” the young man lies.

As he exits the graveyard, we see that the old man’s cane has a communications device installed as well. He begins to use it.

“This is 707 on BC Island.” he says. “A suspicious-looking man just showed up at the gravesite.”

“Understood.” replies an unfamiliar voice. “Send pictures of his face to Headquarters right away.” As we hear these orders, we see the strangely-dressed young man getting into a blue car.

“All right. I put a tracer on his car as well.” 707 agrees.

“Stand by until you hear from us again.” the voice orders. “Over and out.” The old man removes the film from his cane. Yes, it’s such a high tech cane that it has a roll of film!

I imagine that if they were making this episode today, 707 would be uploading the pictures immediately to Galactor Archives Traitor Wiki.

“Just who is that guy?” the old man wonders.

Now we see snowy mountaintops, and the narrator fills us in.

“A microfilm taken by the gravekeeper was immediately sent to an anxiously awaiting Berg Katse.” We can now see a lake within the snowy mountains, and a home sitting on the shores of the lake. It looks a lot like the house in which a kidnapped Rumi Borombo was held… but I thought that building had been destroyed?

“So, a mystery man!” Katse says, turning.

“Yes, Sire!” reports a goon. “707 on BC Island has just transmitted us a photo of him.”

Katse examines the photo.

Check out that stylin’ ascot! I’ll bet Katse is jealous of this man’s style. Now I know where they got the inspiration for OAV Nambu! pound

“Hmmm… this man looks just like Giuseppe Asakura.” Katse notes.

“And that’s what’s strange. I thought he didn’t have any surviving family members, my Lord.” the goon replies.

“You’re right, he shouldn’t.” Katse answers. “Ten years ago, both his wife and only child were killed by Galactor.”

“So could he have been a tourist who just happened to be walking by?” the goon wonders.

“No, I doubt that. It’s obvious this man is disguising himself, and he’s not doing a very good job of it, either.” Katse smirks. And Katse should know, being the master of disguises!

“Ah… how did you figure that out?” asks the astounded goon.

“I’d be back at the car wash if I couldn’t figure that one out, Melvin.” Katse sneers. “Disguises are my specialty!” The subs say ‘Wearing disguises is my specialty. I’d be ashamed if I couldn’t figure that out.’ While that gives more character to Katse, I think I prefer the humor in ADV’s line. Wink

“I confirmed the death of Giuseppe and his wife myself, but never saw the child’s body.” Katse says, walking out onto a balcony and staring at the snowy mountains.

“Sire, if I’m correct, 705, who’s the current Mayor of BC Island, confirmed the body of the child.” Melvin offers.

“Hmm… what does this mean?” Katse wonders. “All right, I’ll go to BC Island too. I’d like to ask 705 in detail about what happened back then.” Katse decides. All I can say is, Giuseppe Asakura must have been important for Katse to concern himself with this matter directly.

Now we see a peaceful-looking island.

“BC Island is so small that you can drive its perimeter in three hours.” the narrator tells us. “It’s famous as a summer retreat with a ‘summer island atmosphere’, but beneath that veneer, it’s an island of evil under the total control of Galactor.” And sure enough, we see an evil-looking pink sports car zooming toward a city. Could it be the car of Galactor’s ‘Lady Commander’? She’s going riding on the Freeway of Love in a pink Cadillac…

“Also known as…” dun dun dun…” Galactor Island.” the narrator finishes.

Sure enough, the pink sports car pulls up to a red carpet, and men come rushing out to greet it. The driver steps out… and it’s Katse! Driving a pink car… I think that’s a hint! (says sexist me… Wink )

Katse walks right into the building and into a conference room with an incredibly long table. At one end is seated a man who is presumably 705, the Mayor of BC Island.

“Thank you so much for coming, Lord Katse!” 705 says.

“Mayor, I understand you were the one who reported the death of Giuseppe’s child, are you not?” Katse gets right down to business.

“That is correct, Lord Katse.” 705 says, bowing. This is quite an accomplishment, since he’s still sitting down.

“You’re absolutely sure?” Katse asks smoothly, sitting down himself at the other end of the incredibly long conference table.

“Yes, Sire!” the man answers calmly, but he’s sweating bullets. “A medical doctor was present at the time and confirmed the death.”

“What medical doctor? Are you telling me the child died at a hospital?” Katse asks sharply.

“Yes, Sire.” 705 confirms. “You ordered us to assassinate Giuseppe for betraying Galactor, along with all of his family members. And following those orders to the letter, we shot Giuseppe and his wife to death on the beach, and blasted their child with a bomb! But the child was still alive, and just as we were about to finish him off, people heard the commotion and started gathering round. Right then, a traveling scientist, who claimed to be a licensed doctor, came upon the scene and took George to the hospital.”

We see a few flashbacks of a Devilstar arm about to shoot, and then an image of the doctor carrying the child.

Hmmm… that’s a familiar color of suit jacket…

“That man examined the child?” Katse questions.

“Yes, Sire.” 705 responds hastily. “And a week later, George died.”

No new posts 15-06-2010 03:27 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

“I see.” Katse snaps. “Do you know the identity of this ‘traveling doctor’?”

“Well, it happened ten years ago, Sire.” 705 admits. “But wait just a moment, I think I might have it in my records.” He opens a nearby cabinet and checks his files.

“Oh, here it is! The doctor’s name was Nambu!” he announces cheerfully.

“Huh?” Katse is shocked.

“Yes, Kozaburo Nambu.” 705 goes on, oblivious to Katse’s reaction. “I have his signature.”

“Nambu?” Katse rages. “You moron! Why have you withheld this information from me?”

“But I… is there something wrong with this Dr. Nambu?” 705 is confused.

“It’s only the same Nambu from the ISO!” Katse rants. “The same Kozaburo Nambu who controls the Science Ninja Team!”

And with that, we are sent over to witness the Daily Fish Parade.

“What’s the matter? Aren’t you going on your regular patrol yet?” Nambu asks.

“I’m afraid Joe’s missing, Doctor.” Ken admits.

“What?” Nambu asks.

“We looked everywhere, and can’t find him!” Jun adds.

“He didn’t even answer our calls to his bracelet!” Ryu finishes.

“What about his G-Machine?” Nambu asks.

“G-2 is in its bay inside the God Phoenix, and that makes us even more worried.” Ken says.

Jinpei gulps nervously, and Nambu picks up on it immediately.

“Jinpei?” he asks sternly.

“I don’t know… nothing!” Jinpei says suspiciously.

“Are you sure?” Nambu asks again. “You’re the only one who doesn’t look all that worried about Joe’s whereabouts.”

“But that isn’t true at all!” Jinpei puts on a feeble act. “I’m so worried…”

“He’s just acting like he doesn’t know nothing.” Ryu assures everyone. “Never play poker, alright, kid?”

But Jinpei doesn’t answer.

Now we cut to two men digging. One of them is 707. It seems they’re digging up a grave, under Katse’s supervision.

“Isn’t this peculiar?” Katse notes. “Why’d they bury the child here, so far away from his parents’ gravesites?”

“Sir, we let Nambu take care of everything.” 705 replies.

And before long, George Asakura’s coffin is revealed.

“Open it!” Katse demands.

They do… and inside is a pile of rocks!

“I knew it! George never really died!” Katse hisses, throwing more rocks at the coffin in anger.

“It’s possible Nambu saved George and made him a Science Ninja!” Katse deduces. “Mayor, under no circumstance let that man who showed up at Giuseppe’s grave leave this island!”

“Yes, Sire!” answers a breathless 705, turning to his men. “Go!”

“Capture him!” Katse shouts, symbolically standing on a downed cross. “And if you can’t capture him, kill him! I don’t care which!”

Meanwhile, back at the Batcave... uh… Crescent Coral Base… the charms of the Daily Fish Parade are lost on the other members of the Science Ninja Team.

“Now that I think about it, you’re the last person who was with Joe!” Jun accuses Jinpei.

“Jinpei?” Ken demands.

But Jinpei just stands there looking glum and humming tunelessly.

“Spit it out, small fry!” Jun orders.

“What’s so secret that you can’t even tell us?” Ryu wants to know. But Jinpei still refuses to answer.

“Well, let’s not blame Jinpei for keeping quiet.” Nambu says thoughtfully. “I’m sure he is only honoring a promise he made with Joe.”

Jinpei can’t quite believe what he’s hearing.

“Besides, I know where Joe probably is.” Nambu adds. Everyone is shocked.

“Today is the anniversary of his parents’ death.” Nambu reveals.

“So, then Joe…” Ken says.

“He’s probably gone to visit their gravesites.” Nambu finishes. “Joe has been fighting Galactor with a sadness in his heart… a sadness he can only express in their company.”

“He can’t even talk to us, then?” Jun appears saddened by this thought. “Did you know about this, Ken?”

“Yeah, kind of.” Ken admits.

“And yet, it’s been ten years since then.” Nambu says, staring out at the Fish Parade. “I don’t understand what made him want to go visit their gravesites now.”

Back on BC Island, a man approaches an incredibly long set of stairs up a hill toward a large building. Beggars sit at the foot of the steps, asking for charity. The man turns, and we can see by his clothing that he is some kind of religious leader: a priest or pastor.

The man drops a banknote into one of the beggars’ hats, and they reply with ‘Bless you Father.’, implying that he is a priest.

But the priest notices a strange, glowing ring on the beggar holding the hat.

“My church is right around the corner. Please feel free to drop by and see me any time you think you might need some help.” the priest tells the beggars. He then turns his attention back to the building at the top of the hill. A man in hip and happening clothes is standing there. Yes, it’s the young man from the gravesite.

The man starts down the stairs as the priest starts up, as they pass, the priest gives him a warning.

“Watch out for those beggars, my son.”

But the hip and happening man doesn’t appear to be concerned.

“Oh, here comes the fancy pants!” one of the beggars says, as the man approaches.

“Help a poor beggar! Please, give for the poor!” the beggar with the hat calls out. Suddenly, these beggars don’t look quite so friendly.

The young man flips some coins in the air.

But before he can give them away, the beggar pulls out a gun. The young man tosses one of the coins, hitting the beggars with deadly accuracy.

Suddenly, Galactor soldiers appear behind him!

The young man kicks a fallen gun up…

Just as the goons begin to shoot…

But now it’s the young man’s turn.

Of course, killing three goons isn’t enough, and more come up, even as they fall.

So the young man runs.

No new posts 15-06-2010 03:28 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

A goon whistles and even more men come running. The young man hides, and the goons go past.

I love the reflection of the goons in this shot!

The goons leave, and now we see that the man is in an empty room that looks like it hasn’t been use in a long time. A sagging punching bag hangs from the ceiling. The young man walks over and grabs its chain. Dust falls off.

“Nothing’s changed. Everything is just like it was, ten years ago.” the man notes.

He punches the bag experimentally, and more dust comes flying out.

“I knew you’d come here.” says a voice, startling the man.

“George Asakura… a.k.a. ‘Bad Boy Joe’.” It’s the priest from the steps.

And yes, in case you hadn’t already figured it out, he has just confirmed that this hip and happening young man is actually Joe!

“I’ve been waiting for you. Don’t you recognize me, George?” the priest asks. “It’s me, Alan! The same kid who used to punch that bag with you! Never thought I would, but I always hoped to see you again.”

Joe turns away, without answering.

“Officially you’re dead, you even have a grave at the public burial ground, but I always believed you were alive out there, somewhere.” Alan keeps talking. “Galactor dug up your grave just recently. All they found was a coffin weighted with a bunch of rocks, which is as much as I expected all along.”

Wait a freaking minute here! How long has Joe been on this island? Galactor dug up the grave ‘just recently’? That makes it sound like it was days ago, not just hours ago! Wow…

The hip and happening young man removes his hip and happening clothes…

And indeed, it is Joe!

“Giorgi!” Alan shouts.

“Hi Al.” Joe replies.

I get the feeling that some of the conversation was cut, because suddenly both men are going outside.

“The Maguey blooms only once every fifty years, and it’s bloomed this year.” Alan says, indicating one of the flowers nearby. “It’s a sign of hope people call the ‘Century Plant’, but I can’t shake this ominous feeling.”

Perhaps the ominous feeling Alan can’t shake is that a ‘century plant’ should bloom every hundred years, while this one blooms every fifty…

“Well look where you’re living, Alan!” Joe replies. “This island is the Devil’s land.”

“Right after you disappeared, I was saved by a priest from a church.” Alan reveals. “He took me in and I started going to school. Now I’ve taken his job as the church’s priest.”

“Yeah? I’m really impressed.” Joe says.

“I’ve been working hard so that the kids on this island won’t end up like we once were: stealing, setting fires and fighting… all those past doings are things I’m ashamed just to remember.” Still, it says a lot for his friendship with Joe that Alan is happy to see him, despite those memories.

“I guess we made our share of trouble back then, huh?” Joe notes.

“We used to use this rundown building as our hangout.” Alan recalls. And on that mournful note, we have a commercial break. Solid Gold Ken certainly stands out on BC Island!

When we return, Joe and Alan are still talking.

“So, George, what’s brought you back?” Alan asks.

“I came to visit my parents’ gravesites.” Joe reveals.

“Is that really all, then?” Alan wants to know. “Are you sure you didn’t come back to get revenge for your parents, George?”

Joe doesn’t answer.

“If that’s the reason, then please, don’t go through with it.” Alan asks quietly. His words seem to have an impact on Joe.

But then Joe notices some Galactors running through the Maguey.

“Just leave the island!” Alan goes on, unaware of the danger. “I don’t know what you’ve been doing all these years, but it’s no use fighting Galactor in this town by yourself. Even the Mayor and police are corrupt here.”

“It’s too late.” Joe replies. “They already don’t mean to let me leave this island alive.” He runs off, leaving a startled Alan behind.

“George!” Alan calls.

As soon as Joe gets down the hill, the Galactors are shooting. I guess they heard Alan calling him ‘George’? After all, Joe isn’t wearing his hip and happening clothes anymore.

Joe dives behind a Maguey plant to avoid the gunfire, then comes leaping out.

Needless to say, the goons are taken by surprise.

After the quick, ugly fight, Alan approaches.

“Look, I’m glad I got to see you again, Alan, now take care!” Joe says, before running off.

“George, come to the church if you need help!” Alan calls after him.

“Meanwhile, at Crescent Coral Base…” the narrator fills in, “Ken told Dr. Nambu about Joe’s past, which he learned while diving in the Marine Satan.” Yep, we’re connecting back to yet another earlier episode. Neat, innit?

“I see. How could I have been so blind?” Nambu berates himself.

“That’s just wild! Joe’s a child of our worst enemy!” Jinpei exclaims.

“Jinpei, Joe’s our friend!” Ken berates him. “His parents are his parents. Enough said, all right?” And Ken should know, having a less-than-perfect dead parent of his own.

“Well I know that! I didn’t mean it in a bad way!” Jinpei retorts.

“That must have been really tough on Joe.” Ryu empathizes.

“I visited BC Island ten years ago, on the way back from attending an academic conference.” Nambu adds in his part of the story. “That’s when I found out about the existence of Galactor, because they were after Joe’s life, so I took him off the island.”

“He went back to the island!” Jun is horrified.

“Exactly.” Ken agrees, turning to Nambu. “I think so too. What do you think?”

“I think we need to take this opportunity to crush BC Island and its Galactor training facilities.” Nambu declares. “Science Ninja Team, move out! Prepare to launch the God Phoenix!”

“Roger!”

Of course, by this time, goons are shooting at Joe from every which way.

Joe hides behind barrels. One is hit by a bullet, and fuel comes out. Joe turns over the barrel, rolling it into the building where the goons are hiding, out. He shoots it, and it explodes, taking out the Galactors.

I thought they disproved that on Mythbusters?

Cut from BOTP:

Oh, wait… this entire episode was cut from BOTP. It never made it into the run. And it wasn’t part of G-Force either.

Joe hides behind a building and prepares for the next attack.

But he only has one bullet remaining in his revolver.

“Guess I’ll save the last bullet for someone special.” he smirks. Oh, Joe, how romantic!

“Joe didn’t think he could destroy the organization on BC Island alone,” the narrator reveals, as Joe walks away, “but he knew that it was his fate to keep on fighting until the day when all of his haunting memories could vanish into the past.”

Sure enough, goons are watching Joe walk through the marketplace.

But they don’t go unnoticed.

Joe dives behind a table, and the grenade misses him. Civilians passing by aren’t so lucky. Next thing we know, Joe is running.

“Damn it!” he swears.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 15-06-2010 at 03:31.
No new posts 15-06-2010 03:30 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

He attacks the goons with his fists.

Then he gets away again, only to see more goons after him.

He leaps over a wall to avoid them, only to come across more Galactor soldiers! He gets so angry, his number 2 goes red!

Another short, ugly fight ensures, and Joe backflips away over a wall.

And he’s ready for more trouble!

Of course, it’s there waiting for him. He’s surrounded by more goons!

This doesn’t faze Joe.

Now it is night, and Alan is praying in his dark church. The only illumination is provided by a lighted cross where an altar would normally be.

Joe stumbles into the church, panting heavily.

“George!” Alan calls.

“Let me hide here!” Joe gasps for breath. “Al, please. Please… you’ve got to let me stay…” I guess even Condor Joe has his limits as to how long he can fight.

Next thing we know, Alan is making coffee in a small kitchenette.

“You understand now, don’t you, George?” Alan asks. “The enemies on this island aren’t the kind you can easily defeat by yourself. Besides, using violence against them is meaningless.”

Joe ponders this as he rests on a bed.

“Leave Galactor to me, and leave this island now.” Alan begs.

“That’s fine with me.” Joe replies. “But exactly when are you planning to defeat Galactor, Al? Tomorrow, a year from now, or a hundred years from now?”

“That all depends on God’s will.” Alan replies.

Joe notices a photo of a girl on Alan’s nightstand. She looks very sad and depressed in the picture.

“Who’s this?” Joe asks, examining the photo.

“She was my fiancé.” Alan reveals.

“She was?” Joe asks, clearly as confused as I am about the concept of Catholic priests having fiancés. Yes, I know protestant pastors can marry, but they aren’t called ‘Father’. I’m going to chalk this one up to Tatsunoko’s lack of knowledge about Christianity, which is fair enough. I know very little about Buddhism or Shinto.

“She’s not with us anymore, I’m afraid.” Alan says, bowing his head. “She was murdered by Joe the Condor of the Science Ninja Team.”

Joe gasps!

“The poor girl tried to leave Galactor, but they wouldn’t let her.” Alan goes on, apparently unaware of Joe’s reaction. “Because her parents and siblings were all too caught up in the corruption of it all. In the end, she took her final mission and she was killed by Joe the Condor.”

Joe remembers a Devilstar racing at him, a rose bomb in her hand…

(This is from Gatchaman episode 31, Plot to Assassinate Dr. Nambu, in case you’d like a refresher.)

The Devilstar throws her rose bomb, but Joe throws a shuriken, pinning the rose back to the Devilstar’s chest.

He drops the photo frame to the floor, looking grim.

“What’s wrong there, George? You don’t look very good.” Alan notes.

“No sweat, Al, I’m okay.” Joe replies, picking up the picture again.

“I made coffee. Would you like some?” Alan asks, as Joe replaces the picture.

“Thanks.” Joe accepts a cup. “After all the suffering you’ve been through, Al, how can you possibly leave Galactor up to ‘God’s will’?”

“George, I’ve been in pain too.” Alan admits. “You have no idea how man times I’ve thought about forgetting God and grabbing a gun. But Galactor isn’t the only thing I hate. I hate the Science Ninja Team too!”

Joe doesn’t appear to be impressed with this statement.

“Since they fight against Galactor, people treat them like they’re messengers of justice!” Alan says angrily. “But to me, both Galactor and the Science Ninja Team are enemies who took my fiancé away from me.”

“So… do you intend to kill Condor Joe, then?” Joe asks.

“What good would that do?” Alan asks angrily. “George, what do you think revenge will accomplish? It won’t bring the dead back to life! You’ll just feel emptiness!”

“Listen, just give up on it, like I did.” Alan urges. “Just leave this island quietly. Please…”

“Let me rest awhile. I’m tired.” is Joe’s response. Boy, I hope that was decaf coffee!

“Yeah, you probably should rest. Sleep and think it over.” Alan agrees. “I’m going to school now. You can expect me back in the morning.”

School? In the middle of the night?

“School?” Joe is confused too.

“I get the children from poor families together and educate them,” Alan explains, “in hopes that none of them will end up in trouble, like we were back then.”

Joe sits alone on Alan’s bed, thinking about the very different paths the two friends’ lives have taken.

At dawn, we see Galactor soldiers approaching the church.

“Yes, Lord Katse, I know where George Asakura is.” 705 is talking on the phone at yet another long conference table. “Things should be taken care of shortly. That church never really fit in on this island anyway. I’ll report back to you later, Sire.”

And inside the church, we can now see that Joe has another fight on his hands. They’re trashing Alan’s living quarters!

Joe runs out into the hallway, only to meet more oncoming goons.

A goon grabs him from behind.

But Joe breaks the hold and gets away. He runs into the main part of the church, where an organ is playing the opening strains to Toccata in Fugue, by Bach. Yep, it’s that very creepy Halloween-type music.

Goons appear from behind the pews and begin shooting.

Joe is hit in the leg, and falls to the ground. I guess those civvies don’t protect as well as full Birdstyle!

Joe is hit again and again.

Finally he falls to the ground, landing in the light of the illuminated cross.

Religious symbolism, anyone? This is better than giant lava Jesus!

“Why leave me?” Joe whispers in pain. “Why don’t you just finish me off?”

“You’ve hurt too many of our comrades.” a goon laughs nastily. “We’ll let you pump out your last drop of blood from your wretched body!”

“So then… that’s the end I deserve, is it?” Joe asks.

“Yeah.” another goon replies. “A grave was dug for you ten years ago, and this time, you’ll be sure to fill it.”

“I won’t let you do that, Galactor!” announces a familiar voice. Goons are startled, but we know… it’s Ken!

“Who goes there?” calls a goon.

“Science Ninja Team, Gatchaman!” Ken replies, still not revealing his position.

“What?” the goon is confused.

“As long as Galactor exists in this world, five pairs of wings will shadow your every move!” Ken announces, as his silhouette is highlighted by the rising sun.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 15-06-2010 at 03:32.
No new posts 15-06-2010 03:32 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Jinpei, Jun and Ryu burst in, their belt buckles reversed by the morning sun!

And there’s a big fight inside the church!

Goons are ready…

But Ryu takes care of it.

Ken does his own fancy moves.

When all of the goons are down, the Team surrounds Joe.

“Joe!” Ken calls.

“He’s bleeding badly, Ken. We’ve got to get him help!” Jun says tearfully.

“Leave me alone…” Joe mutters. “The blood I’m bleeding now is Galactor blood that’s been stagnating inside my body, and I want to bleed all of it out, so I can be clean at last.”

No one notices Alan entering the church.

“Joe…” Jinpei says mournfully.

Alan has picked up one of the rifles from one of the dead goons.

“Which one of you is Joe?” he demands.

Everyone is startled.

“You must be the Science Ninja Team. I want to know which one of you is known as Joe the Condor.” Alan says angrily. “Spit it out! I want to know which one of you dregs of humanity murdered my precious fiancé!”

“Alan, no! Alan!” Joe calls out.

“Maybe you were right, George!” Alan says. “Seeing you crazed with a thirst for revenge set my hatred on fire!”

“Alan!” Joe calls, getting up, despite his wounds.

But Ken stands up and blocks Joe’s move.

“I’m Condor Joe. What do you mean to do to me, Preacher?” he lies.

“Kill you…” Alan growls, cocking the gun.

“No, Alan, don’t!” Joe shouts.

A shot rings out… but it is Alan who falls.

And it is Joe who is the shooter… with his last bullet that he ‘saved for someone special’.

“Alan, I…” Joe can’t believe what he has done. “Why… with only one bullet in my revolver… why did I have to use it against you, Alan? God, Alan, why?”

“Joe,” Ken says, retrieving the gun, “it looks like this priest knew who Joe the Condor was. You see, this rifle doesn’t have any ammo in it.”

Joe can’t believe what he’s hearing. He killed his friend for nothing!

“You idiot!” he yells. “What does your death accomplish? You’re not like me; this island needs you! Were you just trying to convince me to forget about revenge, even at the cost of your own life? Why did you do it? Al!”

And the funeral march plays as we pan out on this terrible scene.

“The funeral service for Father Alan was a somber, but well-attended affair.” the narrator reveals. “Islanders who had feared Galactor up until then stood up bravely and flocked to the church.”

“Look at those people down there, Joe.” Ken says. “Father Alan’s efforts weren’t meaningless. By the time those kids grow up, Galactor will be gone from this island.”

“Why, Alan? What made you pick up the gun?” Joe asks himself. “I don’t get it!”

“I don’t know. We may never understand.” Ken bows his head. “Was it because he found out that Joe the Condor, the one who killed his fiancé, turned out to be his childhood friend? Or was he trying to tell us that the fight we say is for justice can also be unforgiveable and meaningless?”

At this same time, 705 is reporting to Katse.

“Yes, Sire, please accept my deepest apologies.” the Mayor is saying into his phone. “I will take complete responsibility for this.”

The God Phoenix takes off, and as it does, we can see that the Mayor has taken his own life.

The happy shupa trumpet music plays, but it doesn’t feel right for this episode, somehow.

The death of Father Alan was a jolting shock to the Science Ninja Team. It taught them the difficulty of fighting in the name of justice, and taught Joe the emptiness of revenge.

No new posts 15-06-2010 03:33 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

This episode was not used in either BOTP or G-Force.

Just a personal thought… I think they’re trying to read too much into Alan’s actions. We clearly saw him pick up a goon’s rifle from the ground, and I don’t think there was time for him to check whether or not it had ammo. I believe he intended, on the spur of the moment to hurt. Whether or not he would have actually pulled the trigger is something else. I do suspect that Alan was smart enough to figure out that ‘Bad Boy Joe’ and ‘Condor Joe’ could be the same person, and my thought is that he was trying to see if Joe was right, and revenge would make him feel better… but as the episode demonstrates, that clearly was not the case. I really like the way the series took a look at the other side of things in this episode, and the innocent casualties of war.

No new posts 15-06-2010 03:33 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

Great write up TJ. I'm wondering if Alan may have been an Episipalian (sp?) priest. They are very similar to Catholics, except I believe that they can marry and I do believe they allow women into the priesthood, too.

Or it doesn't say when Alan took his vows, it might have been after his fiancee died.

No new posts 15-06-2010 04:00 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

The folks at Tatsunoko may not have been aware that becoming a Roman Catholic priest takes years. A man Alan's age would not yet be ordained. He would be just entering religious orders. (This is as far as my knowledge extends.)

I never saw where Alan got the gun. I thought he'd brought it with him.

Did fem-Katse know that the Condor had killed one of the Devilstars? S/he was the only survivor of the whole mess, after all.

I can see Galactor sending little notes to people: 'the Science Ninja Team killed your loved one.' Whatever the recipients thought of Galactor, that would make a lot of trouble.

I don't think the BotP people could have done a thing with this episode. Too much shooting. The result would be a total Zarking, and too much add-on animation.

No new posts 15-06-2010 04:15 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
nuni nuni is a Female
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-09-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter

Did fem-Katse know that the Condor had killed one of the Devilstars? S/he was the only survivor of the whole mess, after all.

I can see Galactor sending little notes to people: 'the Science Ninja Team killed your loved one.' Whatever the recipients thought of Galactor, that would make a lot of trouble.

Perhaps Alan knew it was Joe the Condor who killed his fiance because she was found with his shuriken embedded in her body.

This episode is amazing - densely packed with details about the history of the whole Galactor conflict and Joe's role in it. Alan and Joe both had to make tough choices. Alan deciding between revenge and forgiveness. And Joe deciding between sparing his old friend Alan or defending Ken. In the end, Joe chose Ken, which tells you how much he deeply cares for their friendship.

Another fantastic recap, TJ. I'm always amazed at how much time and effort they must take on your part. It's most appreciated!

No new posts 15-06-2010 13:04 nuni is offline Send an Email to nuni Search for Posts by nuni Add nuni to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I'll put in a plug here for one of LB's fics, which is a fascinating look at Alan and his fiancee... filling in all of the details before this episode takes place. It's called the Children of Galactor.

http://gatchfanfic.com/viewstory.php?sid=985

And in that fic, Katse *does* tell Alan that Condor Joe killed his fiancee. It's reasonable to me: Katse would have been monitoring the situation, plus Katse gave orders for the girl to attack.

Amethyst, I hadn't thought about Alan being Episcopalian. You may be right, but I'm guessing it's more likely that the Japanese writers and animators just weren't that familiar with the different sects of Christianity, and mixed them up a little. However, I like the idea that Alan only decided to become a priest after his fiancee died... that adds another element of tragedy to the entire thing.

I agree with you, Nuni, that this episode comes packed with so many details about how Galactor people migbt live, and how they are recruited... so much to think about and use as fanfic fodder!

I'm glad you enjoy the recaps, Nuni! Blushing

No new posts 15-06-2010 14:14 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

You've done a marvelous recap on such an important episode, packed with so much information, TJ! I sincerely wish to join Nuni in expressing my gratitude for your continuous effort.

This episode is one during which I could feel that sense of macabre anxiety when watching it ... the same kind of sense I feel when watching a mafia-related movie! The screenshot displaying the Mayor's dangling hand after committing suicide describes exactly this thought!

UW ... I agree with your assumption. Catholic priests' ordination does, generally, take longer to be attained. They generally reach this goal in their early thirties, assuming they start their studies early. Taking into consideration that Alan must have had the same age of Joe, this theory is surely not one that could fit well in the story. At least, also as far as my knowledge. So, I also agree with TJ that there must have been some lack of knowledge about Christianity. Looking over this fact, I also like the idea that Alan decided to take his vows after the death of his fiancee.

TJ ... LB's fic, "Children of Galactor", was the first thing that came to my mind when remembering this episode, too! She has done a wonderful job in entwining the three interlinking characters, that is Joe, Alan and the Devilstar, and come out with more than plausible explanations!

What I also like is the continuity of the story, and the referrals, between episodes. The writers have done an awesome job with the plot. They seemed to know well where they were going, envisaging the final bunch of episodes.

No new posts 15-06-2010 17:50 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by nuni
And Joe deciding between sparing his old friend Alan or defending Ken. In the end, Joe chose Ken, which tells you how much he deeply cares for their friendship.

Good point!

No new posts 15-06-2010 18:06 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Great recap, TJ, and thanks for plugging my fic!

My solution to the "why would a 'priest' (presumably therefore Roman Catholic) have a fiance?" and "isn't he awfully young to be a priest?" problems was to turn Alan into a Protestant and ignore the implications of the word "priest" (like you, I assumed some possible unfamiliarity with the nuances of Christian clerical terminology on the writers' part). "Priest" is used in the Anglican/Episcopalian church, but I've always gone with the assumption that BC Island is in the vicinity of Italy, so there likely wouldn't be too many Anglicans around. In the end, I went with the church being Waldensian -a branch of Protestantism going back several centuries in Italy (with a tradition of lay preachers).

( http://www.chiesavaldese.org/eng/indexen.php )

In an area where Roman Catholicism would, presumably, be prevalent, it would also explain why the Mayor says "that church never really fit in here anyway."

I probably thought too much about this. Laugh1 (Can you tell my main history field was Reformation Europe?)

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
Just a personal thought… I think they’re trying to read too much into Alan’s actions. We clearly saw him pick up a goon’s rifle from the ground, and I don’t think there was time for him to check whether or not it had ammo. I believe he intended, on the spur of the moment to hurt. Whether or not he would have actually pulled the trigger is something else. I do suspect that Alan was smart enough to figure out that ‘Bad Boy Joe’ and ‘Condor Joe’ could be the same person, and my thought is that he was trying to see if Joe was right, and revenge would make him feel better… but as the episode demonstrates, that clearly was not the case. I really like the way the series took a look at the other side of things in this episode, and the innocent casualties of war.

I've never quite made up my mind if Alan was seriously looking for vengeance (despite saying earlier that it wouldn't accomplish anything), hoping to make a point to Joe about the futility of vengeance but not planning to actually shoot (and not expecting to be shot -it's not entirely clear if he'd realized Joe had a gun on him), or if he had a death wish (distraught about the death of his fiance, maybe) and figured if he brandished a gun at the Ninjas and got killed he could die and make some kind of point to Joe about the futility of vengeance and anger. I think I lean most towards the third option here though -that Alan wanted to die but also hoped his sacrifice would somehow "save" Joe (I don't think it's a coincidence, after all, that he ends up lying in the light of the cross.)

quote:
Originally posted by gatchamarie
This episode is one during which I could feel that sense of macabre anxiety when watching it ... the same kind of sense I feel when watching a mafia-related movie!

I agree, this episode is quite unique in that it's not set in a secret base or any remotely sci-fi-ish locale, there's no special science or technology involved in the plot, guns and fists are pretty much the only weapons, and there's no mecha to defeat. It's got a lot more gritty realism -death, grief, graves being dug up, vengeance, suicide... Yes, no surprise this didn't get used in Battle of the Planets!

For me, the old man in the cemetary always makes me think "Gandalf."

No new posts 16-06-2010 07:35 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
AllentownDarkWater AllentownDarkWater is a Male
Banned

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-01-2010

spacer

Another great recap TJ. While I haven't seen this particular one yet, I was very curious after what I've been hearing about it, and I wanted to go and have a look at this thread. Sounds like it's an important one, and that it's a deep one too.

No new posts 01-09-2010 05:11 AllentownDarkWater is offline Search for Posts by AllentownDarkWater Add AllentownDarkWater to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

If I had to weed the whole first series down to 20 not-to-be-missed episodes, this would be one of them! The subbed version is on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2RK02VAj8c

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 01-09-2010 at 06:38.
No new posts 01-09-2010 06:37 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Banned

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

By the way, is it just me, or does Joe when he's in disguise look like another Joe? I'm talking about the singer/musician Joe Walsh (The James Gang/The Eagles), because he's got the sunglasses and the mustache and all. Wonder if they did that on purpose.

No new posts 01-09-2010 06:57 AllentownDarkWater is offline Search for Posts by AllentownDarkWater Add AllentownDarkWater to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by AllentownDarkWater
Another great recap TJ. While I haven't seen this particular one yet, I was very curious after what I've been hearing about it, and I wanted to go and have a look at this thread. Sounds like it's an important one, and that it's a deep one too.

Glad you enjoyed it, Allen! I hope you're able to see the full episode soon!

No new posts 01-09-2010 14:20 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Banned

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
quote:
Originally posted by AllentownDarkWater

Glad you enjoyed it, Allen! I hope you're able to see the full episode soon!

Probably won't get to see that particular one anytime soon. I'm trying to watch them all in order, and try and watch the episodes I haven't seen at least once or twice a week or month so it's easier for me to memorize the series.

No new posts 01-09-2010 21:09 AllentownDarkWater is offline Search for Posts by AllentownDarkWater Add AllentownDarkWater to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: